Barnbikes

1907-08 transmission?

Craig, it is interesting to note that modifications were made to this car over time. I see a footrest on the left side of the car that does not show in the first photo. Also this last picture shows an unknown bracket hanging down from the right side front axle and more stuff hanging under the car just behind the front tank.

Here's another photo that shows the different tyre sizes. As a guess, I think the rear would be 26"x2-1/2", the front 28"x2-1/2"?

Untitled-1-rh1.jpg

Craig, It appears the car saw a good bit of service as indicated by the changes to the chassis and I don't believe this guy is Ray. I'd like to build one of these though I'm not sure how accurate I would try to make it. I agree the thing in front of the motor is a timer. About the only thing I have not figured out is how to drive a couple of bicycle wheels. The hubs on this era wheels are smooth on the inside (no brakes). I cannot see the intake manifold so I don't know how it fed the cylinders. 28" wheels were racing bicycle wheels, the front wheels may be 26 and the rear 24". The motor would be expensive to make.

Craig, each picture shows more detail. This picture, which appears to have been taken on the same beach, shows a gas tank pump on the far rail just in front of the driver, which is missing in the first picture and the foot rest on the left side for the driver. I can now confirm the gas tank is the one in the front. You can trace the gas line from the Schebler carb over the motor down to the front tank.I wonder if this is the first example of down draft carburetion?  Also, this picture clearly shows a draw bar on the front of the car for towing.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

image.png.dafb800168ddb45dee4139c7b4dfa3dc.png

And here I was thinking Ray's car was unique. Looks like he copied Mr Ford's car, whoever that is!