Can a bad battery cell be revived?

Pete O

One out of the three cells in my Buick's battery has a very low specific gravity reading.  The other two are very healthy.  The battery has always been kept full and on a Battery Tender when not in use.   Can that one bad cell be revived?  I'm thinking maybe if I drain the acid, rinse out the cell, refill with new acid and charge it up?  

PS- forgot to mention the reason I'm asking.  It's an original style, tar top, exposed connector  battery.  

Edited by Pete O (see edit history)

Yeah, it's over 5 years old,  but the replacement is going to take a few weeks to be ready.  I did find that I can order a group 2E from napa.  It won't look right, but at least it'll be usable until the new correct one is delivered.  Thanks Larry.

If the cell is shorted out . You will only have about 4 to 5 volts . And it is shorted by build up on bottom of cell you can sometimes flush clean and put the acid back in . However if plates warped and shorted not much hope . Worth a try but use gloves  ,googles and ventilation and wear cloths you may not miss losing . Becareful !

• Like 1

My cousin repairs electric fork lifts for a living.  He says they can sometimes shock a battery with a real hard charge but it takes an old school charger capable of a lot of amps.  He says the modern chargers won't do it for safety reasons.  Sometimes it works according to him and I think he said it boils the crap off the plates maybe.  

I never fool with old batteries and send them down the road if they are suspect.  

Thanks everyone.  I was grasping at straws because I didn't know where I could get that kind of  group 2E (long, narrow) battery quickly, and didn't want to wait several weeks for the replacement.  No Farms Supply stores here on Long Island!   I ordered the   battery online from NAPA for pickup at a local store.  They didn't have it in stock, but they will have it by tomorrow morning!