Floor pans in 1951 Buick

51_Buick

I have a 1951 Buick special 2 door, I found some floors on eBay and a web site called "classic 2 current fabrication". Is this a good site or not? I also need some inner rockers, what is a good place to get inner rockers? I'm new to welding in floors and rockers so if you have any tips on that it would be much appreciated.

IMG_5423.JPG

IMG_5425.JPG

40 minutes ago, retirednow said:

I have a trunk pan, but it's for a Super, and won't fit your Special. Sadly, nobody to my knowledge makes these 

Yeah it really does suck, I'll have to patch it with sheet metal. 

I am presently parting a 52 Roadmaster that has a very solid rot free trunk floor pan. Yes as Retirednow points out, it will not fit your car due to being wider for one thing. It might be possible to cut it down into small sections for repair panels in your trunk. Wheel well is solid but might be slightly larger. Not sure. Anyway if you could use it, I would be happy to cut it out as I will soon be scrapping the rest of the carcass. The car had been parked under a car port with water draining down on it just behind the windshield. The car was litterly rusted in half with the frame holding it together. PM me if you have any interest. I would like $125.00 for it. I prefer not to ship.

I am in South Bend, IN

3 hours ago, 51_Buick said:

Yeah it really does suck, I'll have to patch it with sheet metal. 

• Like 2

Milwaukee should have some pretty good sheet metal fabrication shops, even if you look into the HVAC tin knocker shops.

You have enough floor left to measure up the ribs and deflections to make a good template out of cardboard and reproduce it.

I have even seen that kind of thing go the other way. I used to teach an HVAC apprenticeship and contract training for service mechanics. One training job was bending sheet metal ducts and transitions.

After teaching them basic techniques, one of the mechanics bent the cardboard we used into reproduction Barbie boxes and had then printed as repops for Barbie collectors.

Fold up some cardboard templates of your floor and take then to a tin shop. You will be delighted with the job and the tin guys will probably give you a break just because it's different.

What you show in that left front floor, with floor pan, inner and outer rockers would be about six pieces, each installed without cutting a big gaping unsupported hole. Those preformed ones I have seen are a big sheet that could get you in trouble if you don't massage it in by section.

Bernie

• Like 4

On 5/13/2017 at 10:21 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Milwaukee should have some pretty good sheet metal fabrication shops, even if you look into the HVAC tin knocker shops.

You have enough floor left to measure up the ribs and deflections to make a good template out of cardboard and reproduce it.

I have even seen that kind of thing go the other way. I used to teach an HVAC apprenticeship and contract training for service mechanics. One training job was bending sheet metal ducts and transitions.

After teaching them basic techniques, one of the mechanics bent the cardboard we used into reproduction Barbie boxes and had then printed as repops for Barbie collectors.

Fold up some cardboard templates of your floor and take then to a tin shop. You will be delighted with the job and the tin guys will probably give you a break just because it's different.

What you show in that left front floor, with floor pan, inner and outer rockers would be about six pieces, each installed without cutting a big gaping unsupported hole. Those preformed ones I have seen are a big sheet that could get you in trouble if you don't massage it in by section.

Bernie

For the trunk it's only rusted out in the corners so I should be able to patch it. The floor and inner and outer rockers I think I found a pair of both on eBay and I found some on summit racing. 

On 5/15/2017 at 11:12 AM, HoboBuick said:

I can't answer as to how reputable that supplier is, but depending on how involved you want to get, if you pick up a cheap bead roller you can make your own. I made my floor pans for the front and rear of my '52.

100_3758.JPG

Well I got my floor pan today, I got it from "classic 2 current". The quality feels good so when I get the car back from the blaster I'll weld it in. Or should I do it before?

IMG_5455.JPG

Edited by 51_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, so I have sort of changed direction wth the car, I'm going to do the rockers first (before I pull the body off the frame). I have a small sand blaster that I can do where the rockers are. I'm doing this so the car doesn't go out of square. I still have yet to buy the rockers but I will soon.