An Olds You Don't See That Often

Hudsy Wudsy

I don't know when I've seen a '48 Olds 98. This top of the line Olds shared the same body as Cadillac in this particular year, although Buick wouldn't offer this body until another year had past. Most of us are familiar with this body because of it being the first year Cadillac introduced it's iconic tail fins. If you haven't seen one of these in a while, you may do a bit of a double take at how plain and undistinguished it looks without the tail fins. Even the grille is understated as Olds used a cut down version of their more common frown-like forties grilles. This particular car is one that I just came across is for sale on C/L. The seller is asking at least twice what it's worth, so I don't expect any of you to race out and buy it, though. I'm just posting it for those who might not know this version of the more familiar Cadillac body. I'm pretty sure that those are the correct optional full disc hub caps. They remind me of Cadillac sombreros. I see that it was equipped with air conditioning at some point. I'm sure that a nice one of these, or this one restored, would be a sweet cruiser for those who like something a little different:

https://madison.craigslist.org/cto/6082887422.html

00j0j_ltujyTk7Ce7_1200x900.jpg

Ad copy:

48 Oldsmobile
North Dakota barn find
Perfect patina
VERY CLEAN CAR
Complete car
Paperwork goes back to top new
Title in hand
Flathead straight 8
Perfect survivor car, rat rod project, hot rod, etc.

show contact info Cal

$4500 obo

Image result for 1948 oldsmobile 98

'48 Cadillac:

Image result for 1948 cadillac

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Advertised as the Futuramic Oldsmobile, I don't know why they didn't sell better but there seem to be hardly any of them around. This was the last year of the flathead straight eight. Road tester Tom McCahill panned it, saying when you step on the gas it's like stepping on a wet sponge, you get a squish instead of a swish. This got him a lot of flack from Olds owners and dealers but later an Olds insider told him it was the clincher they needed to get approval for the Olds V8 which was originally scheduled to go to Buick.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Rusty, perhaps Tom McCahill had higher expectations than he should have had. I know the new ground breaking body plus the name "Futurmatic" might give a guy reason to be hopefull, but in reality it was powered by the same old relatively small flat head engine handed down from the early thirties. If I recall right, Pontiac's eight was smaller still. I imagine that he was test driving a Hydramatic equipped car. I love those old workhorse transmissions, but any of you who know them well also know that at certain speeds all downshifting them does is make the engine louder. As far as any performance type of acceleration goes, a guy simply has to use his right foot to keep them from upshifting at too low of a speed. Of course, manually shifting them has the same desired effect, as well. If you drive them like an old lady, they'll perform like an old lady. I don't recall ever hearing how Olds got the green light to go ahead with the V8 ahead of Buick, but your story about McCahill sound both plausible and fun!

I think he was disappointed in the performance for a car of that size and price.  Competitive makes like Buick, Hudson, Packard, and Chrysler eights may have been faster. It is quite possible it had decent performance but, you would naturally expect more from a top of the line car like an Olds 98 than you would from a Ford or Plymouth.

Did a little checking and found the 257 cu in Olds straight eight put out 115HP and the car weighed from 3465 to 4035 pounds depending on model.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here's a view of two similar convertibles -- the top one is a '48 and the bottom one is a '49. It's interesting how adding the headlight/parking light treatment and the new larger hood ornament gave the somewhat plain front end a little more style for '49. That hood ornament design would be around for a few years:

1948:

Image result for 1948 oldsmobile convertible

1949:

003.jpg