Halagen Bulbs

LAS VEGAS DAVE

ply33......Your comments above are very interesting.    It's the first time I've ever seen an attempt to compare  incandescent vs LED   and incandescent vs halogen in a quantitative way.

I've always thought that LEDs draw much less current ( on a CP  basis ) than incandescent bulbs......based on reading many many comments  ( all non-quantitative ) on the subject.    but this is the first time I've seen  a quantitative (4X) factor cited .....     Do you have a reference for this ?

I've seen  comments  ( non-quantitative ) containing   inferences that halogens pull more current than do incandescent bulbs........... I've often wondered about the basis for this.    Your factor of 40% less ( on a CP basis ) is the first time I've seen a quantified comparison.....and somehow I'm not surprised that halogens are more efficient.

Again...if you have a reference I'd be interested in seeing it.

It would take the guessing out of all of this if the manufactures would cite   CP/watts/amps for all of their bulbs....sometimes I see this  given....but usually

only part of this info is given.  And something else they should always give is the "color" level.(eg there are many different "whites")

Case in point:      we used 'white' LEDs to replace the regular 1154 brake/taillight bulbs in our 1937 Special.   But these...behind the red lens..... gave a gnarlish orange-red appearance.   Luckily we then found "red" LEDs 1154 replacements....and these worked out very well.

Thanks for the clarification on this issue.

Jack Worstell       jlwmaster@aol.com

3 hours ago, Jack Worstell said:

ply33......Your comments above are very interesting.    It's the first time I've ever seen an attempt to compare  incandescent vs LED   and incandescent vs halogen in a quantitative way.

I've always thought that LEDs draw much less current ( on a CP  basis ) than incandescent bulbs......based on reading many many comments  ( all non-quantitative ) on the subject.    but this is the first time I've seen  a quantitative (4X) factor cited .....     Do you have a reference for this ?

I've seen  comments  ( non-quantitative ) containing   inferences that halogens pull more current than do incandescent bulbs........... I've often wondered about the basis for this.    Your factor of 40% less ( on a CP basis ) is the first time I've seen a quantified comparison.....and somehow I'm not surprised that halogens are more efficient.

Again...if you have a reference I'd be interested in seeing it.

It would take the guessing out of all of this if the manufactures would cite   CP/watts/amps for all of their bulbs....sometimes I see this  given....but usually

only part of this info is given.  And something else they should always give is the "color" level.(eg there are many different "whites")

Case in point:      we used 'white' LEDs to replace the regular 1154 brake/taillight bulbs in our 1937 Special.   But these...behind the red lens..... gave a gnarlish orange-red appearance.   Luckily we then found "red" LEDs 1154 replacements....and these worked out very well.

Thanks for the clarification on this issue.

Jack Worstell       jlwmaster@aol.com

You can do a web search with something like "lumens per watt incandescent quartz halogen led" and find a number of sources. They vary a little based on application, but you will usually find a table with various wattages and lumens for different technologies.

4 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

Classic And Vintage Bulbs in Australia (the people I got my 6v quartz-halogen bulbs from) called the bulb I needed a "ba15d" and I see LED versions with that nomenclature on the site you  linked. Very tempting to order a set from England and see how they work. I look forward to the experiences of anyone on this forum that has done that.

2 minutes ago, ply33 said:

You can do a web search with something like "lumens per watt incandescent quartz halogen led" and find a number of sources. They vary a little based on application, but you will usually find a table with various wattages and lumens for different technologies.

Classic And Vintage Bulbs in Australia (the people I got my 6v quartz-halogen bulbs from) called the bulb I needed a "ba15d" and I see LED versions with that nomenclature on the site you  linked. Very tempting to order a set from England and see how they work. I look forward to the experiences of anyone on this forum that has done that.

I'm tempted to try them on the caddy when it's up and running again - I bought model A LED commercial truck light (simple stainless steel ring on a black cup) for my rear tail lights (caddy only had a license plate light and no brake light)

ply33 got too technical for an old guy like me.  By the way ply33, glad you're doing well.  I remember you from Baltimore.  Anyway, all I know is that they made the ammeter go to negative on my car.  If there was somebody around here who knew how to set a voltage regulator, maybe that could have been corrected.  I have a bunch of NOS Delco voltage regulators on the shelf.  The generator is rebuilt.  I don't like seeing the ammeter running to the discharge side, so I took the Halogen's back out.

I use halogen bulbs in my 55 olds and saw a bit of an improvement but it wasnt huge. Of course that was with seal beams already. I did notice that it showed more discharge at red lights but it was charged back up after driving. I think newer cars (at least from the 1930s?) with regulators are better than old cars with just a brush type system that only pushes a fixed amount. I never worried about the discharge amount on the gage because it was never discharging long enough to hurt the battery and it would be charged back up in a few seconds of driving. Dynaflash8 I bet your car would be ok even if it showed discharge at idle I think thats normal as long as it charged back up after you were driving and eventually the gage goes back to 0 which shows the regulator is working right.

7 hours ago, Jack Worstell said:

LV Dave.....so now I guess all bulbs in your car are halogen   ??     No LEDs ?    And no incandescent bulbs ?

Jack Worstell         jlwmaster@aol.com

Jack, you are correct and the headlights are great, the tail lights are bright, and I can see of the gauges easily including the clock. The ammeter shows DISCHARGE when idling at a stoplight but as I drive away it shows POSITIVE CHARGE.

I am 100% satisfied with this project and think its not to hard or expensive for anyone with a 38 to have the same results. The most important thing is the reflectors, no bulb, no matter how bright will give great results with out good reflectors.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 12:10 AM, Steve_bigD said:

Driving my 38 Special back from my son's wedding last summer at night I realized how bad the lights were.  At 50MPH I was overdriving the lights and the brake lights were barely brighter than taillights! I had the Uvira process done to the reflectors about 35 years ago and they still reflect great.  The problem was the wiring and bulbs.

Steve D

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the illuminating article on relays in the headlamps on your 1938 Buick. I also like modifications and upgrades that cant be seen :rolleyes:

When I picked up my '38 Special and drove it home, the last 2 hours was in darkness. And I mean darkness, the headlights were useless. Lucky it was on a back secondary road but was still blinded by oncoming cars, several who decided to flash high beam, thinking my lights were not on. It was a terrible introduction to 1938 lighting.

Take two, I cleaned up all the connections on the terminal strips and you could now see the headlights shining on the garage wall 3 feet away. When driving, the lights were still awful but I could see they were on and they were better .... sort of.

Take three. I am putting in halogen lamps from Anthony Pearson and seeing how they go but am moving to Take Four as soon as I have time.

Take four. I now have the 6V relays and will be installing them as soon as I can in the headlights. Will keep you posted how it goes, as I hate leaving readers in the dark :)