Vista Cruiser anyone?

AnniesSS

So I've been tossing around the idea of selling my Burb and getting something smaller.... like a station wagon.  

This red Vista Cruiser is a few miles from my house, so today, my husband and I went to get a closer look at it and sadly, it needs more work then I'm willing to do right now :(  She's straight as an arrow down the sides, but the rust around the windows is really bad :(  It's been sitting at a repair shop for a few months and was told the owner wants $7500 for it.  I didn't go talk to him - he was down that block at his own store.

Then, while going to the auto parts store to pick up an ignition module for the Burb, I saw the white Vista Cruiser at someone's house!  We stopped to ask about it, but no one was home and as you can see from the photos... she's in even worse shape then the white one.

But I thought I'd share my adventures in car searching :)

sm Red Vista 1.jpg

sm Red Vista 2.jpg

sm Red Vista 3.jpg

sm Red Vista 4.jpg

sm Red Vista 5.jpg

sm Red Vista 6.jpg

sm Red Vista 7.jpg

sm White Vista 1.jpg

sm White Vista 2.jpg

Edited by AnniesSS (see edit history)

I think the Vista Cruiser is a nice choice, but I would hold out for a rust-free example.

• Like 2

The roof rust is unfortunately all too common on the VCs, even on desert cars.  I bought a 64 Vista from Reno NV that was totally rust free - until I pulled the stainless trim from around the roof windows. :o

Unfortunately, the design of the spring clips that hold that stainless scratches the paint at installation.  Once leaves and dirt get trapped under the trim, rust ensues. If you are serious about a VC, find one where the seller will allow removal of this trim for inspection.  Using the proper tool, nothing will be damaged.  Repair of this rust is very expensive to have it done right.

• Like 1

My price guide, a year old, says a Vista Cruiser like that

is worth $3300 in #4 condition.  The seller's $7500 asking price

is 'way optimistic.

Nice station wagons of any kind are hard to find.

Your excellent Suburban, Annie, isn't all that common either.

I say, continue making memories with your Suburban

and let your family's next old car ADD to the collection!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

My price guide, a year old, says a Vista Cruiser like that

is worth $3300 in #4 condition.  The seller's $7500 asking price

is 'way optimistic.

Unfortunately, most sellers think that their #4 car is really a #2 or 1.5. :blink:

• Like 2

There is a guy near me in McMinnville that advertises one of the Vista Cruisers on Portland CL.

Not listed today however.

I never looked at it up close but it looks pretty good driving  by.

• Like 1