Saw this for sale and thought good thing the builder quit!

auburnseeker

I heard that several engineers at Auburn built this car as an experiment in design without the knowledge of management. One of the engineers was short of stature which explains the lowered handle. It was discovered in a warehouse in Auburn in the 1960's, coincidentally parked next to the Tucker Convertible, but was minus its engine so a small block was installed until an original engine, purportedly a straight 12, could be found.

• Like 6

Here's a shot of two of the Auburn engineers with the alloy crank case for the fabled Auburn I-12:

88ea1d7207a6033f20f0913eddb14759.jpg

The guy on the right has just spotted the Auburn management team descending from its Ivory Tower to the factory floor and is wondering how to disguise the thing.  Maybe as a multi-lane traffic control device, or a fitment for a communal outhouse, or ...:P

Cheers,

Grog

P.S.  Both of these guys are midgets and are only 3ft. tall.

Edited by capngrog
added more information (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

I heard that several engineers at Auburn built this car as an experiment in design without the knowledge of management. One of the engineers was short of stature which explains the lowered handle. It was discovered in a warehouse in Auburn in the 1960's, coincidentally parked next to the Tucker Convertible, but was minus its engine so a small block was installed until an original engine, purportedly a straight 12, could be found.

They should re-do the picture with Clark Gable and/or Marilyn Monroe in it instead of the disco-era motor to sell it. Better to have a Lycoming V-12 and fake provenance, than a fake engine and no provenance. With the ground clearance of a Sears go-cart, the car would have trouble clearing a corncob in a barnyard, much less have the imposing look of a Thirties Classic.