Getting keys for "late model" Ford

Rusty_OToole

Reminds me that back in the day when I had a Corvette, several Corvairs, and a Buick, I rekeyed everything to use the same ignition  and trunk key. Lock cylinders were just a buck or two and was just a matter of choosing which slide went where.

Guest Grumpy's Auto Shop

I'll chime in here.

It should not be a huge deal with 20 year old car, but what any indy locksmith can offer does depend on what type of key may be needed.  'wafer' keys may be beyond the limits to their equipment, for eg.

As for getting a code, if you're in good with a local Auto Shop, they should be able to get it for you from the Stealership without argument. (PM me with your VIN and I'll make the call, if needed)

The good news is that Ford decided to stay behind the curve on anti-theft for way longer than most other marques, so there's nothing particularly exotic about the 'blank' of the key, or what is needed to cut a new one. 

Back in the 60s the trunk key was fr the glove box and trunk only, the ignition key opened the door. Sometime in the '70s they change the trunk key to open the doors also.

Dunno why, original idea was that if you used a parking valet, the trunk and glove could remain secure. 60's Chev even had an ignition that once unlocked did not need a key. OTOH Ford in the 40s had a steering wheel lock, something that did not reappear until 1969 (and coming back from SEA in '70 had to return to the kiosk and ask the Avis lady where the key went...).

Passkey and such was a '90s thang.. So now I have conventional keys (Judge, GTP), Passkey ('vert), switchblade (Crossie), and fobic (Jeep).

And then there are the letter codes...

In "1996, a single-key entry system became standard on Police Interceptors". The civilian models may not have had it this way.

You should have an inside remote trunk release and a keyless entry remote. It is a very tight squeeze to get through the bulkhead behind the rear seat.

Hopefully you can pop the trunk and pull the key cylinder out to get it to a locksmith.

Just called our local Ford Dealer in our little town of Sonora CA, population 3500 and they said that they only go back 8 rolling years. You would have to bring registration in because they get Audited by the state every 3 months. He said that other states might be able to go back further. Ask for the parts dept. T

2009 is 12.00 for the key and 45.00 to program it.

1 hour ago, Bleach said:

In "1996, a single-key entry system became standard on Police Interceptors". The civilian models may not have had it this way.

You should have an inside remote trunk release and a keyless entry remote. It is a very tight squeeze to get through the bulkhead behind the rear seat.

Hopefully you can pop the trunk and pull the key cylinder out to get it to a locksmith.

Time for that 8 year old grandson.LOL

It's only wide enough there for just barely a little more than the width of my spare tire in my 2001 Crown Vic. There is a glow in the dark T-handle trunk release inside the trunk in my car. It may be the same for a 96. A coat hanger firmly attached to a broom stick could work.