you can email me at

ghildebrand@wi.rr.com

or call

920-893-0629

be patient i don't get back sometimes for a few days on the emails

thanks

Greg

the car is in plymouth, wi

Edited by wildcat1562 (see edit history)

Congrats on a great looking car at a great price.  If you posted the data plate for some "decoding" here's what it boils down to:

01D - built the fourth week of January

63-4747 - 1963 Riviera two door hardtop

FB18931 - Fisher Body sequence out of 40.000

788 - Black leather

J2 - Power seat

CC - Arctic white

ACC - list of accessories as follows

D - Provisions for a radio (There were a few different options: AM w/ or w/o electric antenna, AM wonder bar w/ or w/o electric antenna, and AM/FM was very rare)

I6 (not 16) - Tinted glass - all, not just the windshield

N2 - Air conditioning

SU8 - Door edges guards, remote mirror,  power windows AND vents

Z4 - Remote trunk release

All of these items were installed in the Fisher Body plant before the body - just the body, no frame, engine, driveline, fenders, bumpers, etc. were installed.  So you have other options that may not show up on the data plate.  Such as Cruise control, what kind of wheel cover (Buick rally wheels were not available on the Riviera until 1965), four note horn, guidematic, twilight sentinel, cornering lamps, tilt wheel., etc.

Here's a picture of the window sticker from my '63.  At the bottom you'll see a number of "items that are standard equipment on the 1963 RIviera that are options on other Buick models.  The window sticker show both power vents (U7) and power windows (U6 )as separate options, which they were, but the data plate combines them (U8) . Same with the remote mirror and door edge guards

.  1963 Riviera window sticker0003.JPG

Do any of you '63 owners still have the LICENSE PLATE FRAME - third item mentioned about - that came from the factory, not the dealership, but the factory? ( Mine disappeared into the bowels of the body shop when I had to have some rear end collision work done back in '83.)

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

No, I don't.  I've been looking for some kind of picture for a long time.  I can describe it but you'll have to use your imagination as well.  This is the best way that I can describe it.  " Take a small door edge guard and make a rectangular frame out if it that would just fit over the raw edge of a license plate (you'd want to radius the corners to match the corners of a license plate.)  Then cut the back off of one of the ends so the plate could be slipped into the rest of the frame.  What you'd wind up with would be a very small frame that would be about 1/8' to 3/16" wide that would just cover the outer lip of a license plate..  No names, no scripts, no emblems, just a nice neat decoration to clean up the edges of a license plate. It slid over the plate and unlike the newer frames, it did not have holes in the frame that aligned with the holes in a plate.  

I'll do some Google searches and see what I can come up with.  If I find anything, I'll post a picture.

Ed

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but, is this what you are talking about Ed?

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3175.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

I bought these NOS frames from a long time ROA member a couple years ago. He said they are a matched pair, the one for the back has a raised place to pull the plate down to get to the gas tank. They both have steel spring clips on the back to hold it to the plate.

Just thought I would see if it was what you were talking about.

Close but no horse shoes.  Frame is like a round tube with a slot cut along it.  The license plate slips into the slot.  The one I'm referring to is quite a bit narrower than the one you pictured.  I think it's a one year only deal for 1963.  At least the '63 window sticker is the only year in which I've seen it listed.

Thanks,

Ed

Thanks Ed,

I had found that information and it matches the options on the car. Other than a paint job and incorrect wheels it seems fairly unscathed.  It has the trumpet horns and tilt wheel also. 

My wife has joined the ROA.  So I have been having some fun reading the members only area.

Loren@65GS.com

18 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Very nice.  Drive it and enjoy it.  In your posts you don't indicate where you live.  Left coast, heartland, east coast.  Just wondering how soon you'll be showing up at one of our ROA events.

Ed

Probably not too far from you Ed. 

We are outside a small town called Firth , NE. It is about half way between Beatrice and Lincoln ,NE.

Not sure when we will be showing up with the Riviera. I want to go over it for road worthiness before any lengthy drives

Loren@65GS.com

It will be spring before the Riviera comes home. It is in storage with other cars and boats, locked in as I understand.

With this time of year the weather can change so quickly, I was concerned about getting it home in a timely manner.

• 5 months later...

OK Ms. Lauren: You ditched so many cars  to the front of the line.  1. A 600 mile drive home says a LOT about an old car.  2.  It's a custom interior with a/c and power vents.  Nicely equipped....and BTW,  like the auction announcers commonly say....nicely bought!   Mitch

• Like 1

Loren, please look inside the glove box and tell me if you see a round metal bezel on the hole where the glovebox light shines down into the box.

Also please look at the trim around the windshield.  Is it painted or chrome plated?

Thanks!

Hi Jim

We cleaned out the interior before parking it in the garage and I can say, there is no round metal bezel. But that is because the original glove box is not in it. 

When we get back home, I will check out the trim around the windshield. We made a trip to Minnesota for the Spring Extravaganza that is hosted by the BCA Gopher State Chapter.  On the Saturday before the show/swap we have a get together- BBQ for the '65 Gran Sport Division group. 

Stay tuned,

Loren

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chasander said:

Jim I have the round lens in he glove box. Don't they all?  My windshield trim is painted, I have seen them both ways.

No.  The initial version of the glovebox had a square hole cut in the top of the glovebox, but no bezel.  Later they made it a round hole and added a bezel.

Jim,

Sorry for the slow reply.  We went to Minnesota for the Spring Extravaganza on Sunday, then spent a few days visiting friends and relatives. Arrived home last night.

The windshield pillars are chrome plated on the inside. The rest of the trim for the headliner is painted silver to go with the headliner.

Today, I found this bezel in the center console box. Is this for the glove box lamp?

Loren@65GS.com

SAM_1175.JPG