33 Imperial CL

TomP

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

Sort of an open ended question, no?  Does your chassis have an engine?  Tranny?  Rear?  Suspension?

All I have is an idea, would never be able to afford the real deal, I have excellent body building skills and being retired only work for myself. Plenty of people replicating the likes of Bugatti's but they don't push the buttons. Appearance wise this must look authentic, I have a complete donor drive train and running gear (non Chrysler) that has been in store for more than 8 yrs now and needs to be used or dumped. 

Once I can find detailed dimensional drawings I can draft files to have the frame laser cut ready for fabrication, only way I can undertake this project is to work from the ground up.

Hoping someone can give me a link for drawings.

Thanks

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Are you thinking about extending your frame to CL size?  Push the body back, extend the hood, etc?

The PE frame is from a restoration that I am working on at the moment. 

The CL will be a brand new build from stock steel this is why I am trying to find dimensional drawing, I am the opinion that the frame will be longer, wider and deeper than the PE which in fact is quite different from the PD Coupe I also own.

Edited by TomP (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 28 Chrysler said:

This is all that I have . It is from the master parts list.

Since you are going from all scratch you may want to start with axles with springs and any stock parts then reverse engineer  the rest.

Good Luck on this one.

003.JPG

This is excellent 28 I am able to determine the lengths but am lost on the width and depth, I will get there never have done easy.

Thank you

14 hours ago, Narve N said:

Rotten CGs and CLs Sedans are available, I even believe I know someone (in WA) who has a CG chassis. You definitely get a head start with a complete chassis to adapt your engine into.

Thanks for your thoughts but don't think it's an option in my situation 

Have some stuff for1933 car specifications from Automotive Industries (date of issue unknown, but sometime in 1933) -

Front tread - 59.75"

Rear tread - 61.156"

Frame :

Manufacturer - Midland

Depth - 8.0"

Thickness - 0.125"

Flange width - 2.25"

Bill

Vancouver, BC

21 hours ago, Chrycoman said:

Have some stuff for1933 car specifications from Automotive Industries (date of issue unknown, but sometime in 1933) -

Front tread - 59.75"

Rear tread - 61.156"

Frame :

Manufacturer - Midland

Depth - 8.0"

Thickness - 0.125"

Flange width - 2.25"

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Thanks Bill that's great Think I may have enough to get the plan view, the side view should be reasonably straight forward having my 33 and 34 frames both accessible. Am thinking of boxing with lightening holes on the inside for added strength..

21 hours ago, Chrycoman said:

Interested in your project.

I know it won't help, but seeing the restored 4dr conv above, I instantly recalled the one that was on a few sites:  It was shortened to a 2 door old custom, and sitting in a field.

I wonder what became of it

On 01/11/2016 at 9:49 PM, F&J said:

Interested in your project.

I know it won't help, but seeing the restored 4dr conv above, I instantly recalled the one that was on a few sites:  It was shortened to a 2 door old custom, and sitting in a field.

I wonder what became of it

Thanks F&J for showing an interest if at all will only go for the real deal modelled from this one 18' long 4 door with side screens. Still out on the L/ Right hand drive to but feel it might be easier to sell on if left one day. This 2 door was a production model in 1931.

IMG_0255.PNG

IMG_0259.PNG

• Like 1

On 10/27/2016 at 5:43 PM, TomP said:

Looking for detailed information on the Frame/Chassis, working on an idea for a Sunday driver without busting the bank, all I know at this stage is 146" W/B

Thanks for your help

I have a 135" WB 1932 Imperial CH frame available, same as the photo #2 that you posted. If interested, PM only. Thanks

On 10/28/2016 at 0:51 PM, Narve N said:

Rotten CGs and CLs Sedans are available, I even believe I know someone (in WA) who has a CG chassis. You definitely get a head start with a complete chassis to adapt your engine into.

Kindly PM me if you know of any CL sedans available. Thanks

8 hours ago, F&J said:

I actually found pictures of  the junked car I mentioned.   I wondered if it ever was stretched back to a 4 door?.. or still sitting there?

what is the year and model?

F&J to be honest I don't know, the hood side sticking out of pic 2 is 32/33 don't think it's cut down, 1931 used 6 different W/B frames and in 32/33 there were 8, in fact 31/33 they used 12 from 109" to 146",

thing the rear lamps are aftermarket turn signals but could be wrong,

3 hours ago, dep5 said:

I have a 135" WB 1932 Imperial CH frame available, same as the photo #2 that you posted. If interested, PM only. Thanks

Thanks for the offer but will hold out for the 146" as yourself that 1" CL/CG makes all the difference.

Do you know by chance what the centre hinge length of the CG and the cowl length, I do have a contact in Alabama that has over 100 top end cars all restored but short of making a visit don't think that would go anywhere, knew of another guy in TN but unfortunately he passed.

• 2 months later...

Have started to find a few things different between models and would like your input regarding what was

right for the genuine 1933, on one site they listed a CL* which is again would be good to clarify. Below we have 2 different of styles of fenders and from the driving possition 2 different styles of machine turned dashboards.

33-6.jpg

Page3.jpg

Cover.jpg

CL24.jpg

1932 CH-CL (the bottom photo with Tom Laferriere copyright)

straight line engine turning  in the instrument cluster

silver background w/black lettering

1933 CL*

sunburst engine turning  in the instrument cluster

gold/white gauges, the speedometer and clock feature leaping gazelles

The 1933 CL* you show with skirted fenders, the Ralph Roberts car,  has been customized.

The 1932 CL WPC limo has skirted fenders as does the 1932 CH WP Chrysler Jr Speedster.

1932 CH-1932 CL & 1933 CL* normally have non-skirted fenders.

Thank you for your quick reply dep5 you must have a good amount of knowledge on these cars, are you an owner by chance?

Would it be fair to say that of the 14 1932 some were returned to LeBaron for update of sheet metal and trim may not all have had the skirted fenders this is on the basis that delivery of all 50 cars were delivered in the 32/33 time frame, this is taken from http://www.imperialclub.org/Yr/1933/33LeBaron/index.htl

5 hours ago, TomP said:

Would it be fair to say that of the 14 1932 [CL dual windshield phaetons] some were returned to [Chrysler] for [1933 CL*] update of sheet metal and trim?

Yes, factory shipping records bear this out. However, as far I I know, non-skirted fenders were std on 1932-33 CH-CL-CL* Imperials. (The cars with skirted fenders have been modified.)

There is a 1932 Studebaker President sedan (a large car) that was "updated" after the war with the addition of front fender skirts and the extending of the rear fenders further over the tyres all around the opening. This kind of updating was probably what happened to those above.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

I do have a 1934 Plymouth PE that had skirted fenders as standard, I am thinking that because of the 2/3 yrs lead time from design to production these ideas would have been on the drawing board. Who knows what might have been had sales performed better.

burnt orange1.jpg

Edited by TomP
Image change for example only (see edit history)