Car Show Damage Update

hullinger

A few weeks ago I shared a video on how my '61 Desoto got damaged, presumably at a local car show.  In that video I asked for some help and guidance on filing a claim with Hagerty insurance.  Well, today I wanted to provide an update on this claim and dealing with the folks at Hagerty.

• Like 2

This is the kind of "advertising" no amount of money can buy........ :)

My cars are insured with Hagerty too.

I have the "plus" add-on which includes towing within limits.

I was about 10 miles from home with my '19 Touring T when it popped a "freeze" plug so I needed it flat bedded home.

I called Hagerty who immediately were going to find a hauler in my area.

BEFORE I called Hagerty (I had forgotten about the PLUS part!) I had called my local, old fashioned, service station which is 4 blocks from my home.

I told the lady I had already arranged for the haul as he was VERY local to me and she said no problem!

Just give the hauler's information, blah blah, so they knew how to contact them and arrange for payment.

That was that with NO unnecessary questions asked....... B)

The only complaint I have with Hagerty is when I broke down out in the middle of nowhere about 75 miles from home.

I had the plus and was under the impression that they would haul me home.

It turns out that they would only tow me 10 miles unless I coughed up the credit card and expanded my range. (I felt like I was being held hostage).

Well there was nothing within 10 miles of where I was so I declined thinking to myself I really needed a plan that would tow all of my toys including the motor home.

I was able to limp up to the forest camp where the show was and they let me leave the car over night until I could get up there with my trailer.

The roadside plan from Good Sam was the way to go for me. I had to get the coach towed last April and that was an 800 dollar tow to the repair shop.

That tow alone pays for several years of the premiums.

I have never filed a claim with Hagerty but I am happy to know that they will take care of business should I ever get crashed up.

Jack, thanks for your input.  From a prior situation, I know what you're saying about feeling like a hostage.    I too had the Hagerty Plus but at their highest level, whatever they call it.  I ended up getting a car towed 93 miles to my house after a radiator leak was discovered.  It was my first recent claims experience with Hagerty and it was seamless and easy.  The door damage I described in my video was my second.  Both times Hagerty made a stressful situation fairly effortless.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, packards42 said:

Hagerty refuse to pay for block damage when the car was subject to external freeze.   They first they pay then wezaled out.    Their policy excludes change in temperature.  A real sleeper. 

A sleeper maybe.

But that really falls under maintenance.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, as 17 degree  weather in San Francisco is a 50 or 100  year event. 

They said they pay, sent the bill in then they would not pay.  Then cam back that they did not cover changes in temperature.  Typical freezing is not a change in temperature it a change in the phase of material  from liquid to solid at a constant temperature.

As to negligence not being covered:  your saying your  not covered 1)  if  you wreck car driving over the speed limit or 2) hit someone while  running a red light?

Edited by packards42 (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, packards42 said:

I don't know, as 17 degree  weather in San Francisco is a 50 or 100  year event. 

They said they pay, sent the bill in then they would not pay.  Then cam back that they did not cover changes in temperature.  Typical freezing is not a change in temperature it a change in the phase of material  from liquid to solid at a constant temperature.

As to negligence not being covered:  your saying your  not covered 1)  if  you wreck car driving over the speed limit or 2) hit someone while  running a red light?

Not preparing for freezing weather is not an accident, its lack of maintenance issue clearly preventable and the responsibility of the owner. I'm sure that the weatherman gave you plenty of warning. Foolish to ask.

Speeding or running a red light can and does affect if they pay, yes absolutely. They will determine your amount of culpability if it is a factor.

Friend of mine lost 2 beautiful Buick's in a fire a couple years ago, he had stated value with Hagerty and as with your experience, his was seamless and quick as well.  He had said that he wished State Farm for the garage contents would have been as easy to deal with as Hagerty.

One time there was a shooting in our neighborhood and a bullet hit the lower rocker moulding on our 50 Olds. I called Haggerty and they said just have it fixed and send us the bill. I told them it really needed a new moulding and I didn't know where or when I would find one. The agent actually helped me find one , it was new old stock and was in Canada. Haggerty paid for everything without anything but a picture. They were great and I have used them for 20 years.

Edited by LAS VEGAS DAVE
spelling (see edit history)

I'm not sure about Hagerty specifically but almost all auto insurers have the following damage exclusions in their policy :

- wear and tear

- rust and corrosion

- Consisting of or caused by mechanical fracture  or failure.

- freezing

- damage to tires

Then they usually have an exception to the damage exclusions that provides coverage when it is coincidental with a covered loss.

As pointed out above, the no insurer is going to cover you for losses that are care and maintenance issues. If they did one of two things would happen 1) you would not be able to afford the premium or 2) the insurer would run out of money paying claims and cease to exist.

Insurance is an interesting purchase. Most consumers reluctantly give up their cash for piece of paper but have no idea what the piece of paper actually says. Meaning they never find out what they bought until they actually have  to use it. Now, how about we all go and spent as much time reading our insurance policy as we all just did reading this post .:D

On 10/20/2016 at 9:19 AM, JACK M said:

The only complaint I have with Hagerty is when I broke down out in the middle of nowhere about 75 miles from home.

I had the plus and was under the impression that they would haul me home.

It turns out that they would only tow me 10 miles unless I coughed up the credit card and expanded my range. (I felt like I was being held hostage).

Well there was nothing within 10 miles of where I was so I declined thinking to myself I really needed a plan that would tow all of my toys including the motor home.

I was able to limp up to the forest camp where the show was and they let me leave the car over night until I could get up there with my trailer.

The roadside plan from Good Sam was the way to go for me. I had to get the coach towed last April and that was an 800 dollar tow to the repair shop.

That tow alone pays for several years of the premiums.

I have never filed a claim with Hagerty but I am happy to know that they will take care of business should I ever get crashed up.

Go with the Gold AAA about 150.00 per year, free towing up to 200 miles plus a bunch of other perks. They will even tow our Dodge 4 door dually under the same plan.

On 10/31/2016 at 9:17 AM, packards42 said:

Hagerty refuse to pay for block damage when the car was subject to external freeze.   They first they pay then wezaled out.    Their policy excludes change in temperature.  A real sleeper. 

NO insurance company is going to pay for maintenance neglect period. They would go broke. That would be like saying that when you changed your own oil and forgot to put in the oil and you drove your car without oil and blew the engine.

21 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Wondering why allowing your car to roll into a lagoon should be covered. Can I park on a steep hill in San Francisco, not set the parking brake, and still be covered?

The mechanics would be checked and the determination would be on the findings. We have been involved in situations like this doing inspections.

We picked this car up that was parked at a car show in our local area. Another person started his car and when he hit the gas, it went full throttle into another car then the another car was pushed into this car. New build with 200 miles. Do not the ins company involved but it was taken care of in a timely matter.

inbox_15383__draft_1442443035655.jpeg

inbox_15387__draft_1442445308869.jpeg

inbox_15387__draft_1442445309196.jpeg

inbox_15397__draft_1442445632327.jpeg

inbox_15397__draft_1442445632737.jpeg

inbox_15397__draft_1442445633223.jpeg

inbox_15401__draft_1442448392222.jpeg