1948 Pontiac

Guest 1948Pontiac

Guest 1948Pontiac

I have a 1948 Pontiac silver streak with a flat head straight 6. It seams to have a rough idle and the exhaust sounds rough. it seams to clear up when i rev up the RPMs a little. I have new spark plus in it and the points look like they are in great shape. I did a compression check on it and it ranges from 110 to 100 psi. does anyone know if it is normal for a little rough idle on these older flat head 6 engines? 

Verify point gap first, THEN check dwell.  As I've mentioned before, I had a 1950 Pontiac 6 whose distributor cam lobes were worn, and I had to set points at 0.014 to get correct dwell and factory setting was 0.020 or more. Get dwell right, then set timing.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:45 PM, 1948Pontiac said:

I have a 1948 Pontiac silver streak with a flat head straight 6. It seams to have a rough idle and the exhaust sounds rough. it seams to clear up when i rev up the RPMs a little. I have new spark plus in it and the points look like they are in great shape. I did a compression check on it and it ranges from 110 to 100 psi. does anyone know if it is normal for a little rough idle on these older flat head 6 engines? 

Every time I had a problem similar to this it either the idle circuit in the carb had some dirt in it, or a vacuum leak somewhere. Considering it operates fine under throttle I would look close at the idle circuit. I would hook up a vacuum gauge and see what that tells you first. least invasive test to do

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest 1948Pontiac

Thanks all for the assistance. After rebuilding the carb 5 times and resetting the points 5 times i found the problem. I had a small hole in the sleeve on the intake manifold. It was allowing the exhaust to blow back into the intake manifold. for some reason i never looked in the manifold but when i did i found the hole. 

IMG_2422.JPG

• 6 years later...