Another mystery pic

nzcarnerd

The headlights have an odd look, like they are both angled toward the outside, rather than straight ahead.  An optical illusion, I'm sure.  Great pic, love the background.  Seems like there was another recent pic that featured a strap across the hood.

I am with Chris, Buick Model 17, lamps and radiator blacked out, accessory demountable rim type wheels ( maybe Firestone) and accessory Fore-doors. Am also thinking the hand push mechanical horn is a bit later, so this car as a low mileage used car, probably had an update for this the second owner. If this was a advertising picture of a car for sale I would think they would have parked it in front of a more pleasing background.

The Model 16 used the same basic frame and engine as the Model 17, but there were a lot of styling/body differences.  Note the long hood, to make it appear like a six cylinder, which at the time (1909-10) was all the vogue, higher running boards, different rear fenders, scuttle dash on the 16 versus flat dash on the 17, steering gear has a longer column and is at different angle on the 16.  Both had the same 35/40 HP four cylinder engine.

The one pictured, offered by Hyman, is a surrey body, with no rear doors.  The one that I've been restoring for over 20 years (embarrassing to admit!) is a toy tonneau, which has a full door on right rear and a fake door on left rear.  On both body styles, the rear seat is removable so that you can drive it as a roadster.  In those two years a roadster was also offered on the same chassis.

The car offered by Hyman had a few details that were incorrect, but one would have to be really into the early Buicks to see them, it was a very attractive car.....