Unusual thing at Hershey National show.

phil w

While looking at the show cars with a friend over from England, we saw an unusual car, i'll call it a safari car. It was a car-like thing made to go hunting in comfort. In the trunk was a rifle, not secured, just laying open in there. My friend said "Is that allowed in this car show?" With tongue firmly in cheek I said, "Sure, this is America, everyone carries a gun, but they're usually hidden pistols." He shook his head and said "That certainly tells me a lot in this world." I later tried to set him straight before he went back home to tell of the crazy Americans, or that there was only one crazy at the show.

Phil.

I have seen military vehicles at shows that have weapons displayed. I have also seen "gangster" type cars with Thompson Machine Gun's displayed. All were replica guns and not fireable. This could have been the case. Not everyone in America carries a weapon, it varies from state to state. I live in the NY City area and will never be able to carry a gun, only the criminals can.

• Like 4

This car was specifically designed to go hunting, with doors that were hinged such that if they had a charging animal they could close it correctly and quickly.  I've seen and inspected the car, and while not very attractive in my opinion, it could serve a purpose.

As to Tommy guns and old cars, I've just never quite understood the attraction of connecting the two, understand the old gangster thing, but posing for a picture with a fake Tommy gun in front of an old car?  Just silly to me....

On 10/9/2016 at 7:51 PM, phil w said:

... My friend said "Is that allowed in this car show?" ...

It is a Mohs Safarikar, and while it is distinctive,

it is not merely one person's customized car.

It certainly is antique by AACA's definition.

You'll find it written up in the appendix of

Krause Publication's "Standard Catalog."

I did an interview with the owner a few years ago,

when he had first restored it and began taking it

to AACA national meets.  It is one of 3 Safarikars made.

In fact, he found this rare and unusual vehicle,

in a forlorn and rusted state, through a posting on

our AACA Discussion Forum!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Kids today think Roy Rogers is a fast food joint. Man, I can remember spending Saturdays watching Roy, Hopalong Cassidy, The Cisco Kid, Gene Autry etc. at the local movie theater. Double feature, a serial and about two dozen cartoons for a quarter. I knew I saw that car with the door handles somewhere, thanks Jim.

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:37 PM, Jim Bollman said:

Inside door handles were also revolvers and had a gun for a hood ornament. Don't remember who owned it but it is in a museum in Nashville.

DoorHandle.jpg

That Bonneville appears (from what I can see) to be one of a handful customized by Nudie Cohen https://www.pontiacoaklandmuseum.org/sites/default/files/storypdf/Nudie.pdf   . 

There is a '66 Bonneville here in Alberta, formerly owned by Bill Herron that still survives.  http://blog.calgarystampede.com/2016/07/07/why-this-years-parade-marshals-ride-might-be-one-of-the-coolest-vehicles-on-the-planet/

Craig