A modern jack for your Buick

49_buick_super

I've got the correct bumper jack for my Buick but it is there for show.  I would never use it to change a flat.

I've been looking about trying to find something practical to keep in the trunk for road trips and here's what I've settled on.  It's a scissors jack from a 88-99 Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra.  The jack weighs 10 pounds, 12 ounces.  It is 21 inches long and collapses to a 4 inch high profile.  Very easy to get under any flat on a car that hasn't been seriously lowered.  The lift saddle will fit at standard frame lift points or under the rear axle.  The extensions are each 26 inches long and when coupled allow a reach of 51 inches.  Together with the ratchet, they add another 3 pounds to the total weight.  The single extension can be operated at an angle of about 45 degrees which would keep you safely off the road if lifting on the traffic side.  The scissors will lift to 18 inches.  I've successfully lifted my 49 Super in the front and rear with half that reach which is sufficient to raise an inflated tire off the ground.  The base is very stable and the scissor lift is smooth and easy with the ratchet handle.

If you are looking for a sturdy jack with a low profile, this one might serve you well.  

Dan

scissor-jack.jpg

• Like 3

I agree -- I saved the same jack from my completely used-up '89 C1500.  Being an OEM truck jack it is very sturdy, smooth action and these should be easy to source at nearly any auto recycler.

• Like 2

I carry a similar scissor jack in my 38 Special.  I also carry one in my car trailer.  It fits nicely between the tandem wheels to lift both wheels for checking brakes, bearings, & tire changes.  It is also a good idea to make sure the "lug wrench" for the tow vehicle can be used on the trailer.  Although most of us carry a set of sockets, a good "lug wrench" provides more leverage on wheel nuts.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On the first generation Rivieras, the rear wheel opening is right at the top of the wheel.  It takes separation of the body and the axle to get the wheel off.  Any suggestions?  I don't think that I'd want to use the scissor jack on the axle then have to raise the body even farther using a bumper jack.

Ed

38 minutes ago, RivNut said:

On the first generation Rivieras, the rear wheel opening is right at the top of the wheel.  It takes separation of the body and the axle to get the wheel off.  Any suggestions?  I don't think that I'd want to use the scissor jack on the axle then have to raise the body even farther using a bumper jack.

Ed - If you lift at the frame, won't the body rise with the frame and the wheel drop with gravity acting on the suspension --> clearance?  I have never had the pleasure of using a jack on a Riviera so I'm just doing some mental speculation here. (You're sending me scrambling to look at pictures of the first generation frame and suspension...)

Dan

• Like 1

I can't remember how many years it has been since I had to change a tire on the road, I guess they are that much better but you give me something to think about.  I agree thhe scissor type sonds like the most practical.  I should have saved the one from the last pickup I sold.  

If I understand the concept correctly,  you'd want to put the scissor jack under the axle.  Doing so would lift everything. The axle, with wheels and tires attached, would lift the body and there would be no change in the relationship to the tire and the body. Through tire would be off the ground but the body would still be in the same relationship with the tire.  The scissor jack does not have enough lift to use as a frame jack. Therefore if you have a low arch in the rear wheel well, you still can't get the tire out from under the body.

I put a block of sandwiched wood that I made on the ground, then my scissors jack on such, and lift the frame.  Needless to say my Limited has large wheel openings, but should work on a Riv.  IMO

In 22 plus years on the road, NO FLATS, just use this setup for any work that requires the wheels come off, like changing the battery, it is in a box behind the front right wheel.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

I see where aNY jack used on the frame, or bumper which is an extension of the frame, would lift the body until all of slack in the suspension would be taken up and the axle would finally lift.  I'm betting the scissor jack is NOT designed to be used as a frame jack.  Too many pivot points that could fail and then everything falls.

19 hours ago, 49_buick_super said:

Ed - If you lift at the frame, won't the body rise with the frame and the wheel drop with gravity acting on the suspension --> clearance?  I have never had the pleasure of using a jack on a Riviera so I'm just doing some mental speculation here. (You're sending me scrambling to look at pictures of the first generation frame and suspension...)

Dan

A long time ago I had a blowout on the rear of the GS. I had this exact problem.  The low wheel opening prevented the tire from being removed with just the floor jack I had under the axle.  Had to use the bumper jack almost to the top of the range to get that tire out of the opening.  The main problem was the wheels I was using.  They were 1977 Buick Rally wheels, which have a deeper offset.  Not deeper by much, but still deeper.

When I got my new tires I used a set of the correct Buick Rally rims for the car.  Now I can get the tires off just by raising the axle with the floor jack.

That's good to know.  The last time I tried changing a rear tire with a floor jack, I still had to raise the car some with the bumper jack.  My problem could have been the 235/70 tires I was running on the car at the time.  I've also noticed that if you lift only one side of a rear axle with a floor jack, the spring on that side of the axle has a tendency to compress some before raising the tire off the ground.  You get a much more even lift if you put the floor jack under the pumpkin. But none of this helps if you're trying to change a tire on the side of the road.  I like the idea of the scissor jack under the axle.  I have a feeling that the 225/75 tires that I'm now running won't present the same problem (should need arise,) knock on wood.  I've never had to change a tire on the Rivs on the side of the road.  If so, maybe I can get some help.  LOL  

Buick Riviera - Flat tire in the desert by jerry001

There's no jack in the picture but at least she knows to loosen the lug nuts before getting the wheel off the ground.

• Like 2