Found nearly 500 old cars in my 'budget!'

AC Fuhrman

So I used to set a 'budget' and plow through Hemmings or other buy/sell publications just to see what I could find in my 'price range.' I know I'm not the only person who does this right??

With all the depressing talk about our 'expensive, dying, hobby; young people can't get into etc. etc,' I took a quick shot at this again just now. Went on Hemmings.com and set my search at $3500 max and vehicles within 500 miles of my zip code and WHAM-O! Nearly 500 possibilities in just seconds! Sure some need work and there weren't any 'blue chips' but we are talking hobby cars and some of these were kinda neat.

Don't be sad - you can join or continue in our awesome hobby for not as much as you might be thinking!

:D My friendly opinion!

• Like 1

I've always been a supporter and sucker for the idea of keeping your search open. There are so many great old cars that just have names people don't know about so the value stays down. Sure it might cost too much right now to be a 400 pointer, or even make it on the field with respect, but it can still be enjoyed! The 1979 Lebaron Coupe my profile picture I picked up with an original 18k for $2000. It was traded in at my dealership after about a year of the guy trying to sell it. HPOF ready for $1500 less than your cap and the AC still blew cold. Just no one wakes up and says "I've simply got to find a nice Lebaron today!" If you own land you can even build a garage outta scrap/reclaimed/free wood and hand shaped stone floor. Limited money isn't a good reason not to own an old car. 

• Like 1

Have to agree. Interesting cars from late 70s to early 90s (25 year rule) exist, are out there, and are often under five grand. True, I personally like computer cars and fuel injection and REALLY like an American OHC 6 with a manual trans and AC. But even being that narrow, I find more than needed.

In general at 10-20 years out the best deals are Halo (limited production) cars that did not sell well usually due to complexity and price. The plus is that parts are often still easily available. One thing to look for is a marque club or forum on the Internet particularly if a service manual and/or parts books are available (is a lot easier to just tell someone with a question the volume, section, and page in the FSM that has the answer).

All I can say is that I have at least electronic versions of the factory manuals (and usually paper as well) for every vehicle in my .sig. plus quite a few more. Makes life much easier.

10 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Now here is the answer to buy any car your heart desires. I wonder if anyone has actually tried it??? https://ca.gofundme.com/ 

Hard to compete with a surviving cancer patient for funding your old car addiction unless of course you are that recovering patient.  

Although you are trying to help or is that promote your addiction.  

I guess it's all in how you interpret things. ;)

It always amazes me at the number of earlier cars that are available at around 10-15K with nice older restorations, or even in nice original condition.   Cars from the 20s/30s are a real bargain these days.  Of course their use is limited, and after this summer, some AC would be nice, but literally you have your pick of great Model As, early Chevy's, etc for real reasonable money.