1923 Buick touring 6 cyl Kansascity craigslist

THIS ONE APPEARS TO BE IN GOOD UNTOUCHED ORIGINAL CONDITION
REPOSTED FROM CRAIGSLIST   
NOT MINE

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5657931937.html

THIS IS A 23 YEAR MODEL BUICK TOURING CAR 4 DOOR WITH A 6 CYLINDER ENGINE,WITH OPTIONAL 4 WINDOW,BEEN INSIDE FOR 60 YEARS,PARTS CAR,RATROD IT OR WHATEVER YOU DESIRE ASKING 2000 CASH CALLS ONLY PLEASE NO TEXTS SOLD WITH A BILL OF SALE

00o0o_kdvOsvWrYpR_1200x900.jpg

01717_l5cc9lauAcm_1200x900.jpg

00505_dEP56FtGKLL_1200x900.jpg

00303_lmwDSZCMTAn_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_7oOkm5uOFci_1200x900.jpg

00l0l_y6qKl1KFQS_1200x900.jpg

I agree that Oregon Desert is also our hero!  Many nice finds have shown up lately. I am hoping that my friend Dave near D.C. will be able to get the 1923-44 made into a pickup in NJ. The price is right but a much bigger project than the model 55 I missed out on. My fault.  I only hope that some rat-rodder does not get it.

• Like 1

This is only about 80 miles from where I live.  I wish there was a phone number in the ad, I'd call the guy and go look at it and get more photos for anyone seriously interested.  I agree, the side curtains are very unusual in the fact of just being there.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas  aka  Doo Dah

Re : "Original Sidecurtains". These are Cal Top specific , right ? So , would they even fit the usual folding top ? Even if they did fit , and were functional weather protection , they might look a bit out of place. I have the original sidecurtains for my 1924 Cadilllac touring. They are in superb condition , and look very cool installed. Of course I never drive it in the rain , and on the cold (high 20s - mid 30s is normally about as cold as it gets in Western WA/OR) , clear Winter days when I do drive it , I don't go far from home. I dress warmly , wear gloves , and install my "Gypsy Curtains". These are quite effective in reducing front seat draft , also have a great original period look (I like the looks so much that I usually run them all the time ! ) , and take up almost no space stowed. Stowing in car for touring would be somewhat challenging for the subject 'curtains.  -  Carl

Here is what the "Gypsy Curtains" look like. U. W. Campus 2 days shy of a year ago. Warm day , but just looked too good to me , so I didn't roll 'em up and stow. The other pics were on a cold Winter day at a Puget Sound sunset. They helped. If some of you don't have a set on your open car , obviously they are easy to make. You will like them !  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

The top on this car would indeed fold. Rex accessories made sliding glass type curtains for many cars that originally had regular side curtains. Not only just available with the completer fixed type tops. There were photos of a Red 1920-45 in the Bugle several years ago with them. The photo below was of a complete folding top assembly and glass curtains on e-bat 4 years ago.

Foot Rest.JPG

Hmmmm....... , yes , Larry , I see what you mean upon taking a close look at the pics ! So that is the original top , right ? Just fooled a couple of us because of the appearance of the substantial aftermarket glass side curtains. Those would indeed have improved comfort and visibility , but if they were frequently removed and installed , that fragile glass might have been a liability. Also , we have to wonder when the plugs were pulled. Hopefully recently , to start lubing the engine. But , they have to open a bit wider , and check and lube the valve train. Crank is in it , but for all we know at this point , it might have been there for decades. It is always sad to see an old car having been so poorly stored. But then again , with all the tragedy in the World these days , it is in the end , just a car. - Carl

I finally got in touch with the guy early Saturday evening.  He says some guy from the Kansas City area is supposed to be coming after it on Tuesday.  I asked about coming up Sunday to look at it and take some photos and he said no and that I would have to wait until after Tuesday and to call him again after 3:00 PM to see if it was still for sale.  The way the guy talked I got the idea real quick that this was some kind of a three-legged deal from the get-go.  I asked where he was located in Abilene so that I could come up and look at it and the guy got real nervous sounding right now.  Nash34 says he saw the car, but, this deal smells pretty bad to me.  This is in my backyard so to speak and I simply wanted to take some photos of that top assembly for future reference.  I don't know guys, I'd be very careful and even more wary just from what I heard on the phone.  I have gone and looked at a lot of old cars in my time, but this particular deal just doesn't fit quite right for me.

Good luck and be careful.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas  aka  Doo Dah

The current owner runs an old junk yard.  A friend of mine was over there Friday  getting some parts for his old truck and saw the car.

He called me after work.  We both went to see the Buick. The owner close the yard by the time we got there.  I call the number  on the fence. 

I ask to see the car as well. Got the same response. 

He is off for the 4 of July. So you won't get anywhere over the weekend. 

I am also interested in the Buick as well. 

Edited by Nash34 (see edit history)

I would really like to get some photos of the details of the top that is on this car.  It obviously is not a fold back affair.  Back in the day there was a company in Connersville, Indiana by the name of Rex Tops that made aftermarket 'hard top' shells for roadsters and touring cars.  At first I thought that this was what this was, but, I am not so sure now.  This is the reason for my interest in seeing this car in person.  This car is pretty unusual from the top alone.  The guy that has it now is probably in line to make a bundle on it and he doesn't want anyone upsetting his apple cart.  The asking price of $2,000 is reasonable for what is seen in the photos.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah  America

Yep, asking him to SCREW the other fellow is NOT a good idea,  I can only imagine how YOU would feel after driving there, then learning he sold it to another fellow. 

He has already told another fellow NOT to come as he is holding it for someone.

Dale in Indy

Guys, I think you are getting the wrong impression about my interest in this old Buick.  I am not the slightest interested in owning it, I simply wanted to get some good, detailed photos of the top assembly.  This is a very unusual aftermarket period accessory and being that it is on a Buick makes it that much more interesting to me.  I carefully explained to the guy that I wanted to get photos only - he simply wasn't going to have any of that at all.  When he found out that I wasn't a buyer it all turned south.  You just would have had to hear the phone conversation.  To put it out there in plain, adulterated language, this guy is gonna shake down any potential buyer for every dollar that he can wring out of him and I firmly believe he will do whatever it takes to get that done.  To me this is why this deal just doesn't smell too good.  I would have liked to have gotten some good photos for future reference, but I think that I will pass on this one.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Tarry 

The reason I'm backing out. Is I am really looking for a brass car.

Preferably an older restoration. Or something like this car where you get it running. Enjoy and restore or preserve things as you go. 

I hope who ever gets it will share photos with us. 

Well, if he own/runs a junk yard, then he has HEARD it all.  

A lot of junk yard owners learn to do it THEIR WAY,  NOT saying that is good or bad, just saying.

I've had many dealings with junk yard owners, most get very set in their ways, IMO.

Time will tell how it turns out. 

If indeed he actually has committed to holding it until Tuesday, ' IF', well, he may be a person that is true to his word.

Dale in Indy