Can't even begin to imagine the adventures of the travels.

1940TORPEDO

People were more adventuresome in that era!  Auto trave was a challenge but those with some daring did what we might see as difficult or impossible today.  I used stories like this as my inspiration to make long trips by motorcycle carrying just the most basic of necessities.  I would sure like to know more about this adventure.

Terry

• Like 1

In the summer of 1929 my father and a friend, both in college, drove from NY to CA, and back, in a Model A.  They went up into Canada and down into Mexico, took picture, and kept a diary.  They often slept on the ground.  One day in Canada they had 7 flat tires.  One of their pictures shows a US highway shield marker: 2 ruts with grass in between.

1 hour ago, oldcarfudd said:

In the summer of 1929 my father and a friend, both in college, drove from NY to CA, and back, in a Model A.  They went up into Canada and down into Mexico, took picture, and kept a diary.  They often slept on the ground.  One day in Canada they had 7 flat tires.  One of their pictures shows a US highway shield marker: 2 ruts with grass in between.

That would of been some trip. Adventure of a lifetime

Guest Skyking

Maybe in 50 or 60 years my grandkids will be sitting around the table saying I can't believe grandpa drove a 2015 Equinox to Tennessee, to Florida and back to RI.  What will they be traveling in?

This was taken in 1934.

My dad (at the wheel) used to talk about my grand father and his new 34 Dodge.

Drove it from Seattle to Detroit and back and never had to lay a wrench on it.

His younger brother by the way was an Ace pilot and shot down many enemies before they got him. WWII.

Dad always said I took more after his brother than him. I wish I could have known him.

FJs 34 Dodge.jpg

Jack M

Thanks for posting the great picture of your grandfathers 34 Dodge. It looks like it was fully loaded for the time. I've got a couple of 34 Dodges. They're one my favorites.

Ken

Do remember the days before Interstates were common, US 11E was a particular challenge back in the days when the most important spec for a car was 50-70. Guess that is why I still appreciate a manual gearbox.

Only good thing is that traffic now on those roads (where they still exist) does not have as many slow trucks.

Also recall touring Canada on a magneto ignition Harley Sportster with an airline bag on the pillion and a sleeping bag on the handlebars to deflect the wind but summer fell on a weekend that year. Could light up the tree tops with that bike.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1