Door edge guards

jframe

Any tips to reattach a factory one that is coming off at the top of the door on my '65? Or should I just remove them, and tuck them away for safekeeping since they are coded on the Fisher Body tag?  Not just super wild about them, but they DID come with the car. And, if I do remove them, what is the best method?

The door edge guards are pinched between the inner and outer door skins, so what you need to do is remove the nuts

holding the outer door skin on at the rear of the door to either tap the edge guard back on at the top or remove them.  

I just went ahead and removed them this morning. Tapped them with a tape covered screwdriver and hammer, and they popped right off. Had to touch up a few spots mainly where the bodyline makes acrease but white is very forgiving. These are on my Fisher Body plate as a factory option, but the car just looks better without them, to me anyway. I will probably just put these up and keep them since they still seem to be in good shape. I understand they can be quite pricey.

52 minutes ago, telriv said:

Yeah, I don't like them either. I took mine off in '64. Breaks up & takes away from the BEAUTIFUL lines of the original design.

And, oddly enough, scratches up the door edges.:)

Go to O'Reilly's, Advance, or Autozone and buy some chrome plated plastic ones.  Put them on when you think you're going to open your door into another car or into the big pipe at the gas station.  When you get to the show, take them off and hide them till you're ready to leave.  Door edge guard protect against YOUR carelessness, not the other guy's.  The other guy puts door dings and chips in your door skins.

I agree. Not as bad on my white car, but I sure wouldn't want them on a dark color. Fortunately, these came off relatively easy, and only left a place or two that I had to touch up.

Guest dwhiteside64

I must be a weirdo because I like the way the guards look on my marlin blue Riv. Besides, I want my car to look as it did from the factory, so it was imperative that

I put them on.... :P

Everyone should feel empowered to do whatever they want to their car if it makes them happy. "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad". I guess I'm just questioning the entire concept of protecting the way something looks by permanently covering it. It's everywhere. Vinyl covered couches, uncomfortable and ugly, but preserve the fabric? Mudflats, protect the paint, but negatively affect the lines of the car? Air deflectors that keep stones and bugs from damaging paint and windshields, but look abysmal? Old ladies walking around with scarfs preserving their hairdo, but looking like they're wrapped in toilet paper? Youngsters with their thin, light smartphones encased in a thick, bulky outer case to keep the phone from getting scratched? The list goes on. Am I crazy? Probably. I'm just saying... PRL

• Like 2

I love the look of door edge guards on a luxury car. To me a luxury car looks odd without them........

i.e. onRrivieras, Cadillacs, Lincolns. cars like that.The fact is that most luxury cars of that era had them when they were new. My

Dad's 65 Riviera he bought new had almost no options  but it had door edge guards from the factory.

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:21 PM, petelempert said:

Everyone should feel empowered to do whatever they want to their car if it makes them happy. "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad". I guess I'm just questioning the entire concept of protecting the way something looks by permanently covering it. It's everywhere. Vinyl covered couches, uncomfortable and ugly, but preserve the fabric? Mudflats, protect the paint, but negatively affect the lines of the car? Air deflectors that keep stones and bugs from damaging paint and windshields, but look abysmal? Old ladies walking around with scarfs preserving their hairdo, but looking like they're wrapped in toilet paper? Youngsters with their thin, light smartphones encased in a thick, bulky outer case to keep the phone from getting scratched? The list goes on. Am I crazy? Probably. I'm just saying... PRL

. . . couldn't say it any better Pete !!

I don't know what year it may have started but both my '90 and '93 have body color matched door edge guards.  Pretty easy to repaint and have everything looking new again.  Linda just took delivery of a '16 Verano Sport Touring yesterday to replace the '14 Verano that she had.  Neither of those cars came from the factory with door edge guards and I think that they're not even offered as an option any longer.  One thing that I will say for them is that they will camouflage mismatched paint between the front and rear doors, or the door and the rear quarter when the paints don't quite match.   Or you could go the other way.  :D

mag03.jpg

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Eric,

The only way you'll find wire wheels for a good price is to do as you're now doing,  find someone who no longer needs the ones they have.  These are a really good find, too bad they're not the right size.  New ones are expensive but maybe your only option. Good luck.

Ed 

On 6/8/2016 at 9:19 PM, RivNut said:

I don't know what year it may have started but both my '90 and '93 have body color matched door edge guards.  Pretty easy to repaint and have everything looking new again.  Linda just took delivery of a '16 Verano Sport Touring yesterday to replace the '14 Verano that she had.  Neither of those cars came from the factory with door edge guards and I think that they're not even offered as an option any longer.  One thing that I will say for them is that they will camouflage mismatched paint between the front and rear doors, or the door and the rear quarter when the paints don't quite match.   Or you could go the other way.  :D

mag03.jpg

Ed

And I get accused of my Riv being "pimpy"! Lol.