'65 Rally Wheels Fitment and ID

DV8

I know this has been covered probably many times in the past and there's some sort of chart on the ROA website but I'm in a pinch for time right now and don't have the minutes to search through the forum. I also don't have membership access to the ROA members only content.

How can I verify that a set of rally wheels is in fact off a '65?  If I can get the numbers could some one look it up for me?  Any help would be much appreciated and as I said time is of the essence here.

The simplest way is to measure the center hole for the cap.  the '65 has a 2" hole.  There are other wheels that have the 2" center, but they would either be the really rare '64 wheel (no register ring) or the 71 & up wheels.

NOW, join the ROA and learn a lot more than any one of us knows as an individual.  It's really simple.:)

Click on the link in my  signature, go the the Membership/Renewal link and pick your choice of ways to join.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Also, only the 64 and 65 wheels have no "crease" in the surface surrounding the lug nut holes. If you see

a crease in the metal forming a circle right outside the lug nut holes you are looking at a 66 and up wheel.

Note in this picture that the metal is smooth in the area outside of the lug nut holes with no crease......

This is a picture of a 64 wheel. The 65 is the same except the 65 has a register ring on the back. These

64 wheels which originally came off of a 64 Wildcat were installed on my  65 Riviera in 1967. Since this picture was taken I have painted the background the correct for 65 Charcoal color.

DSCN0019.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dan,

Chances of finding some actual '65 wheels are probably a lot less than finding some 66 and later wheels.  The only visible difference is the center cap, but Mitch Romanoski makes a repo '65 cap with that will fit the later 2-1/8" opening. 

Ed

8 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Also, only the 64 and 65 wheels have no "crease" in the surface surrounding the lug nut holes. If you see

a crease in the metal forming a circle right outside the lug nut holes you are looking at a 66 and up wheel.

Note in this picture that the metal is smooth in the area outside of the lug nut holes with no crease......

This is a picture of a 64 wheel. The 65 is the same except the 65 has a register ring on the back. These

64 wheels which originally came off of a 64 Wildcat were installed on my  65 Riviera in 1967. Since this picture was taken I have painted the background the correct for 65 Charcoal color.

DSCN0019.JPG

Winston,

You describe a detail which most folks overlook and in my opinion makes a great difference in the appearance of the wheels...but your time frame is a little off. IN GENERAL, the characteristic you describe changed when the wheels adopted the disc brake contour on the rear of the wheels. The change to the disc brake compatible wheels occurred early to mid-year `67. So, all `66 to early/mid `67wheels have the same appearance in the lug nut area as the `64, `65 wheels.  HOWEVER (and there`s always an exception, isnt there?), I have discovered, with date codes, hybrid chrome wheels which were manufactured when the transition was occurring to the disc brake style wheels, which have the drum brake style faces (no "step" in the lug nut area) and disc brake style rear contour. These wheels are very, very rare and you will not find them on any of the "expert lists" that have been published, as in the post above.

BTW, there is a glaring error in the list above. Although some `65 wheels may not have an 802 code I have found most do.

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Thanks for the correction Tom....I had never noticed that the 66 wheels didn't have the crease as well. In the case

of the 66 and early 67 wheels the larger than 2 inch wheel center hole will identify them.

The 802 and 853 wheels have the same dimensions - center hole, register ring, backspacing, and wheel hub diameter, but differ in the profile that adapts to the disk brakes and the original color of the paint in the webbing.

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Thanks for the correction Tom....I had never noticed that the 66 wheels didn't have the crease as well. In the case

of the 66 and early 67 wheels the larger than 2 inch wheel center hole will identify them.

Easiest way to identify `66 to `67 1/2 wheels is the "X" stamped in the nose where the center cone snaps into.

Tom

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

The 802 and 853 wheels have the same dimensions - center hole, register ring, backspacing, and wheel hub diameter, but differ in the profile that adapts to the disk brakes and the original color of the paint in the webbing.

Ed,

This is not correct. Please read my post above. The `65 and `66  and some `67 wheels use the 802 rim code. But the `65 rims have a 2 inch center hole and the `66 to `67 1/2 rims have the 2 1/8th center hole. Neither wheel will accept the other`s center cap.

Maybe a little further explanation will make things more clear...or clear as mud. I have always urged that one use the rim codes as a general guideline, in case not much other information is available to identify the wheels, not as a definitive identifier as to correct model year/application. I have always urged folks to check the other characteristics of the wheels in addition to the codes to draw accurate conclusions.

The wheels are two piece wheels, front and rear, and are welded together to make a unit. The rim code is stamped on the rear half of the wheel and does not necessarily dictate which face or front half Motor Wheel mated to the rear half of the wheel. The rim code is a definitive indication of rear contour but not model year application.

For instance, the 802 rim code identifies a drum brake contour but may be mated to either a `65 or a `66  face/front half. The `65 face has a 2 inch center hole and the `66 has a 2 and 1/8th center hole. Their center caps will not interchange unless adapters are used.

Another example is the unusual transition rim type I mentioned above. The rim code is 853 which indicates a disc brake rear contour. But the faces/front halves are `66 type with a smooth contour in the lug nut area absent a  distinct "step", a large valve stem instead of what one expects in a disc brake wheel which is a smaller valve stem, no "X" stamped in the nose and center webs painted charcoal grey.

The rim codes are a great general guideline but only definitively identify the rear half of the wheel unit. Hope the above helps clear up some misconceptions,

Tom Mooney

• 7 months later...

Have owned a 1965 Riveria since the early 70's - all of the above thread info has helped greatly, but I do have a question about the center hub caps - I have caps that are silver back ground with the black "R", what is the year difference between the silver background and the black back ground - so sorry if this has been addressed before, but am new to the forum - thanks all

The small flat caps with black background were used in 1964 and 1965. In 66, the elongated fluted caps came out, still 

with a black background. These elongated fluted caps were used for many years, all with the black background. The small flat cap

with silver background came out in 1977 I believe but I'm not certain of that. You can buy repro black background flat caps for your

wheels you have on your 65, regardless of your center hole size, they are reproduced in both sizes.

1 hour ago, Jim Milewski said:

Have owned a 1965 Riveria since the early 70's - all of the above thread info has helped greatly, but I do have a question about the center hub caps - I have caps that are silver back ground with the black "R", what is the year difference between the silver background and the black back ground - so sorry if this has been addressed before, but am new to the forum - thanks all

The same basic cap was used in `65 only and then again starting in `71. The original `65 cap had a black background with silver "R" and the `71 and up cap reversed the arrangement with a silver background with a black "R". It sounds like you have `71 and later center caps which are physically the same cap as a `65 with reversed graphics/colors.

Just to be clear....`64 chrome wheels are Wildcat only and have a small push in button cap which is unique to `64, has the silver Wildcat head with black background and is much smaller in diameter than the `65 center caps.

In `65 the center cap is flat and the same basic cap as the `71 and later cap with a silver "R" in a black background. This is a one year only cap.

The `66 thru `70 caps are the cone shaped fluted caps which are still larger than the `65 caps and project farther from the wheel, also silver "R" with black background.

And the `71 and later caps revert back physically to the `65 cap but with reversed graphics, black "R" on silver background.

Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

Not that it matters, but when you have to change a wheel on a '66 to '70 Riviera with the ribbed, or fluted, cone shaped centre caps you must remove the centre cap to access the wheel nuts! This can present a problem if the centre cap retainer is stuck, or rusted to the centre hole in the rim.

A light coating of lubriplate on the retainer tangs and the outer surface of centre cap hole will reduce or eliminate this problem. 

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

• 7 years later...
On 5/17/2016 at 4:32 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Winston,

You describe a detail which most folks overlook and in my opinion makes a great difference in the appearance of the wheels...but your time frame is a little off. IN GENERAL, the characteristic you describe changed when the wheels adopted the disc brake contour on the rear of the wheels. The change to the disc brake compatible wheels occurred early to mid-year `67. So, all `66 to early/mid `67wheels have the same appearance in the lug nut area as the `64, `65 wheels.  HOWEVER (and there`s always an exception, isnt there?), I have discovered, with date codes, hybrid chrome wheels which were manufactured when the transition was occurring to the disc brake style wheels, which have the drum brake style faces (no "step" in the lug nut area) and disc brake style rear contour. These wheels are very, very rare and you will not find them on any of the "expert lists" that have been published, as in the post above.

BTW, there is a glaring error in the list above. Although some `65 wheels may not have an 802 code I have found most do.

Tom Mooney

For Tom or someone in the know regarding the rare 802/853 transition hybrid wheel that Tom described...can you post pictures of these rare wheels so we can see what they look like?