RESTORING 1931 BUICK

jdkitch

would like any information on 1931 Buick, model 57. I know the engine with changed from a 6 cyl. to a straight 8 in 1930, but did they change running gear, axles, wheel bearings etc. also. And from 1932 up are these components interchangeable?

I would appreciate any info this, and on obtaining wheel bearings & seals for both front & rear axis, and clutch / pressure plate /bearing

There are many interchangeable parts between 31 and 32 50 series cars.  The best way to assure interchangeability is to purchase the 1932 parts manual covers all Buicks from 1926 through 1932.  These manuals are reproduced, so you don't need to search for original manuals.  There were a number of mid 1931 changes to the drivetrain.  Most of the late changes are common with 1932.  before engine #2682902 is early, after is late 31 &32.

Front wheel bearing parts have different part numbers than 1932.  

Rear wheel Axle bearings are common on 31/32 50 series.

clutch driven plate and clutch pressure plate assemblies are common.

Much of the information on the wheel assemblies is confusing as there were three types of wheels and hubs available.  Artillery, demountable wood spke and wire.

Bob Engle

I forgot to mention, Don't buy the manuals on DVD.  They are just digital pages with no search engine and are terribly cumbersome to get to what you want.  For quick reference, the printed pages are much easier to use.  I bought loose leaf copied pages and I added tab sheets to separate the various components.

Bob Engle 

I have quite a few 1932 50-series parts, including bearings in original boxes, but I have to be honest and tell you that the bearings inside these boxes look used to me. If you want to consider used bearings, I can probably help you. They are boxed by part #.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

A question for 1931 Series 50 owners.  How much on these is carried over from the Marquette?  On paper they look to have the same frame.  I wonder if any other parts were carried over.  I know the engine is not if course. I read somewhere that the 50 only got synchromesh late in the model year.  The whole Series 50 car is much lighter looking that the bigger models.

I researched these cars several years ago, and one source said the 1931 50-series Buick was basically what would have been the 1931 Marquette, if the Marquette had been continued. Of course, it has the Buick straight eight instead of the Marquette's six, but many of the components of the chassis are the same as Marquette as you have already found out.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

12 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

I have quite a few 1932 50-series parts, including bearings in original boxes, but I have to be honest and tell you that the bearings inside these boxes look used to me. If you want to consider used bearings, I can probably help you. They are boxed by part #.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

I thought you had to pour in the babbit bearings

• 4 years later...

Hello Pete

i think you solved a mystery for me. I just bought a 1931 8-57 in Washington state. Manufacture date 09/18/30. 

Engine number 2639787. Open driveline. However, the transmission was not bolted in, but the purchase included two trans, both of which are synchro. Theses are not the correct trans are they?

Also, the placement of the engine ID number (above front left lifter cover) indicates it's a 33/34 engine. 

Can you confirm any of this for me?

Thank you. 

Phil

Hi Phil:

Welcome, I see you are new here. I suggest that you send Pete Phillips a PM (private message) to ask your question.  This an old thread that was not started by him, so the chances that he would see your post are pretty remote.  If you use the PM feature (click on the envelope symbol on the top right corner of the page), you can send a message directly to him.

Neil

The early 1931 50 series cars had a non synchromesh transmission.   Midyear they changed the design to a synchromesh transmission.  Connection to the differential is completely different between the two.

Just a comment on the early 31 50 serie engines.  the early cars had bronze bearings for the cam shaft.  There were many failures and Buick did a redesign using babbit bearings to solve the problem.   Buick did a complete engine swap on cars with cam bearing failures.  This really messes up the engine serial numbers for those trying to find info on their cars.  

Bob Engle