Any Bakersfield Reports/Photos?

RansomEli

Anyone have a report or photos about the Bakersfield swap meet?  Planned to go there this year but got sidetracked.

I was very disappointed in this year's Chickasha swap meet - it's been in decline for the past 3 years and I'm going to skip next year's event. Hopefully, Bakersfield is still going strong.

Was there a Franklin dinner on Friday? 

It all depends on why you go to any particular swap meet. It was very pleasant catching up with old friends that were there. Noticeably absent were the Large motor homes with attached enclosed trailers.The content in terms of parts and projects and cars available at Bakersfield was dismal. If Chickasha was disappointing, Bakersfield would have been even more dispiriting.  Although all of the spaces were sold at least 25% were empty.  At peak time say mid-day there were no more than 25-30 buyers in any given row and they were vendors out shopping.  I would say that there were more vendors than buyers. The meet this year was combined with the model T club.  There were equal numbers of model T club vendors and HCCA vendors and T vendors were more exclusive  in their wares. Many vendors were packing or packed up and gone by 2:00 PM on Friday.

I've attended every Bakersfield Prewar Swap meet since the beginning. I would have to say for brass-era, teens and twenties automobiles and parts, there is no other swap meet that compares. If I could attend only one swap meet a year, I would chose Bakersfield (Yes, I do attend Hershey and have attend for 20+ years!). Even though it is advertised as a Pre-WWII swap meet, I would say most everything is 1931 and earlier. Very few late 1930s parts or cars.

I would agree that the amount of vendors was down this year, even though all the spaces were pre-sold. I don't know why that is. Maybe people book their spaces in advance and later find out they can't attend? To bad they don't re-offer their spaces to others, as I knew of people who could not get spaces.

In terms of sales, I always bring stuff to sell and I price it to sell. I sold about 90 percent of what I brought which is what I usually average at Bakersfield.

I bought some neat things as well. A few teens Pierce items, some brass accessories for another speedster project and, of course, some Model T parts and accessories.

There were a lot of neat brass era cars on display and for sale. Also, some very tempting early projects. I did the tour which proceeded the swap meet and had lots of fun-as usual. Like any swap meet, the best part is the people. Saw lots of old friends and enjoyed visiting with people. Always good to catch up and hear about other people's projects and "new" car purchases.

What I like most about Bakersfield is that it is a densely, concentrated swap meet that is easily covered multiple times. The park-like setting is perfect for a meet this size. It is very relaxed and enjoyable-and most of the time the weather is perfect.

I always plan on taking photos, but was busy buying and selling. The hours at Bakersfield fly by quickly so all I have are more good memories.

Looking forward to next year!

Edited by rusty12 (see edit history)

The Model T forum always has some great swap meet reports and Bakersfield is no exception again this year.  Follow the link for some individual reports and some great pics.  Makes me want to get there for sure next year.  It's a long ways from Virginia to Bakersfield but maybe we can tie it in with some other fun stuff to do.   http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/634003.html?1461274961

Terry

• Like 1

Terry,

Thanks for the Model T forum link. Plenty of pictures and excellent observations. 

I'm skipping Chickasha next year. Thursday is just too inconvenient and there are fewer sellers each year.

Bakersfield has a lot more cars to see and one commenter in the Model T forum said there was lots of brass for sale (I need several Castle Lamps). Can't make it to Hershey but Bakersfield is a definite "go."

Was the Franklin touring for sale? If so, how much? Really like that deep blue color.

The Horseless Carriage Club of America swap meet and tour, held roughly the second week in April Thursday through Saturday. Held at Bakersfield, CA fairground.  Usually lots of brass cars and parts for sale and display.  See Terry Bond's link above for some nice pictures of cars and people.

23 hours ago, RansomEli said:

Terry,

Thanks for the Model T forum link. Plenty of pictures and excellent observations.

I'm skipping Chickasha next year. Thursday is just too inconvenient and there are fewer sellers each year.

Bakersfield has a lot more cars to see and one commenter in the Model T forum said there was lots of brass for sale (I need several Castle Lamps). Can't make it to Hershey but Bakersfield is a definite "go."

Was the Franklin touring for sale? If so, how much? Really like that deep blue color.

What do you need in Castle lamps?  I have a few in my "Hershey box." 

Terry

Terry, I need two Castle Lamp Co lights:

1. Castle Lamp Co Model 1207 headlamp. As you face the headlamp,  the door opening screw is on the left side of the lamp.
  2. A Castle Lamp Co Model 204 sidelight. I need a left sidelight, the driver's side.

Not looking for perfection, just usable. 

Thank you. 

James (RansomEli)

Chickasha is one of three swap meets that I attend (Bakersfield and Hershey are the others).  Mike and Susie (Chickasha) are making changes that I'm sure will help with the turnout at Chickasha.  First, and most importantly they've changed the format back to Friday and 1/2 day Saturday (same as Bakersfield).  Next year Chickasha will be March 17-18 and Bakersfield will be April 7-8, 2017.  Also, HCCA will be having their National Tour in OKC just prior to Chickasha.