21 Foot Electra 225?

Pomeroy41144

I love the Buick Bugle.  I look forward to it arriving every month.  I was reading my newly arrived Buick Bugle and I was very surprised to read in an article written by Paris Roselli that the 1976 Buick Electra 225 was 21 feet long.  Did any editor at the Bugle read this article?  None of the three Buick Electra 225 cars that I have owned were 21 feet long.  The 1976 Buick Electra 225 is 233 inches, which translates into 19.4 feet.  I would bet a skinny dollar that a 1940 Series 90 is longer than a 1976 Electra 225. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The 1975 Electra was 233.4" long while the 1976 Electra was 233.3" long. They both  were the longest Buick's ever produced. Additionally, the 1975 and 1976 Electra 4 door cars were the longest 4 door hardtop cars built by General Motors PERIOD! (The 1975 to 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood was a little longer, however, those cars were NOT hardtops. They had a B pillars.  

Edited by stangslayerws6 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I will have to dig around for my 1976 documentation, but a quick search online shows 1975 at 233.4" and 1976 at 233.3". I'm not particularly happy with those sources. Not trying to start any sort of a fight...just wanted to verify your assertion. 

13 minutes ago, stangslayerws6 said:

You said: "Didn't anyone notice this thread was started 2 yrs ago???" Does that mean that threads "expire" and any new information added to that particular thread will not be helpful to someone who reads it in the future? Just wondering....

No it's just seems funny nobody responded to it til now! 

To address the question about a 1940 90 series being longer......Satndard catalof of Buick says the 1940 series 90 had a wheelbase of 140 inches and the O.A. length was 219.5 inches

On 3/6/2018 at 10:04 AM, stangslayerws6 said:

I just joined yesterday so there was no way for me to respond to it earlier lol

Personally I love seeing old threads brought back to life especially interesting subjects such as this.   I once offered to haul a '76 Estate Wagon from Mobile, Alabama  back  to Buick Gardens without having researched the weight and length of the thing. :o:o Suffice it to say that is one haul me nor my 16 foot trailer will ever forget :wacko: My old Silverado still had a pinched driver seat (luckily no stains) and finger impressions in the steering wheel when I traded it 5 years later. :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Not to argue any particular point but I was amazed when seeing a 1938 Cadillac V-16 5-passenger next to my 1966 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

I assumed the V-16 would be longer...wrong.  Stats - '38 141" wheelbase but 222" length... '66 rolls on a 133" wheelbase..w/...227.5 length. 

Welcome to the forum Stangslayerws6!

Ted 

• Like 1

Remember that popular song "Does Anyone Really Know What Size It Is" ?

I have had my Electra for 15 or 16 years now and you won't believe how many times it is called an Electra 225 or a Deuce and a Quarter. I usually just say it is an Electra 221. It would have been sooo nice if Buick had kept the Super name two more years and hung it on the 4739.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

Howdy folks.

Thanks for the interest and the comments.  And, Pomeroy41144 - I apologize for the confusion.

I authored the article about my 1976 Electra and now seek to clarify how we got here.

To begin, everyone is correct - the car is not 21' long - my mistake!  

When I wrote the article, the car was in storage so I was unable to measure the car myself.  Online references were not clear and I knew my car was a bit longer (one might say 'artificially' - more below).  What I did recall clearly was the length of space I needed to park the car without damage - and that benchmark was 21 feet.  

Here is why: 

When I was searching for a new home, I would always check the maximum length of the garage.  Twenty-one feet was the number I could easily remember.  I got that number in my head, for a number of reasons:

1. When I pulled out the Stanley measuring tape, and eyeball the length (bumper rubber to bumper rubber), I get ~235 inches - 19 feet and 7 inches.  
2.  In addition, I have a frame-welded trailer hitch that extended the length of the car almost 9 more inches, taking me to about 244 inches - or 20 feet and 4 inches.
3. Most interior garage doors I saw had handles right about hood height, and I needed to ensure I cleared that, too.  My ballpark was I needed another 3 inches beyond the 20'4" of the car and trailer hitch.  
4. At this point, actual car length and clearance space blended into a simple '21 feet' and I went with it from there...

In the end, yes, while this Electra needed a bit more room because of a trailer hitch, (making it longer than factory) it isn't 21 feet long.  

Hope that helps.  Thanks!
  • Thanks 1