ID of years of DB Touring cars

Willy

Okay, I have a 1918 DB Touring, but I have other years of parts mixed in - mostly '24 and '25. I have four radiators - some are taller than others. I think the shortest one is the 1918. I'm going to measure the front of the cowl, and it looks like it would match the radiator height. Is that the right direction? I have someone coming next month to collect all the parts I don't need, and I want to be sure I don't give him any parts that fit my car.

Also, I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what year a DB Touring actually is, because looking on the internet, I think I see many cars improperly listed. For example, when I type in "1923 DB Touring", I see cars with straight windshield bottoms, and curved windshield bottoms. Any suggestions?

How does the emblem on the radiator shield come out?

I have just begun to ask questions!

actually  up  through 1916  radiators   were  very   short   . Then  they   became  a  bit  taller   as  in   17-18  19.   By  the  mid   20s  they  were  much  taller.

The   emblem   should  be   held  on  with  a   nut  on  a   threaded   stem   with  a   small   pin  to  keep  it  from   rotating  Later  the   emblem   was  held  on   with   a  mushroomed  flange  But  yours  should  be   the   stem  type.   You  must  have  the   radiator  out  of  the  shroud  to  remove  it.  Windshield  is  FLAT  on  the  cowl  in  1918

DBs started having the taller radiator and more slanted windshield in July of 1922, when manufacture of the "1923" series commenced, but the states registered all cars manufactured during calendar year 1922 as '22 models.  That is why both kinds of touring cars are called 1922 models.

Edited by 22touring (see edit history)

12 hours ago, bobs1916 said:

actually  up  through 1916  radiators   were  very   short   . Then  they   became  a  bit  taller   as  in   17-18  19.   By  the  mid   20s  they  were  much  taller.

The   emblem   should  be   held  on  with  a   nut  on  a   threaded   stem   with  a   small   pin  to  keep  it  from   rotating  Later  the   emblem   was  held  on   with   a  mushroomed  flange  But  yours  should  be   the   stem  type.   You  must  have  the   radiator  out  of  the  shroud  to  remove  it.  Windshield  is  FLAT  on  the  cowl  in  1918

I was under the impression that the emblems had the "pan-like" circular attachment that presses into the shell. Here is a shell with the emblem removed....

stuff 1431.jpg

12 minutes ago, bobs1916 said:

no  no   early  ones  have  a  threaded  post   and  pin    I  will  post  a  picture  asap

So, the shell I showed is newer?

My rough measurement of the height, not including the radiator threaded cap piece, is around 22 inches. The others I have are around 25 inches. Problem is, my radiator shield has the (pressed?) fitted emblem, not one with a post. Would that hurt the car being original?

Edited by Willy (see edit history)

Willy There is a booklet that is published  by the Dodge Brothers Club for the 4 cylinder cars This Booklet lists all the changes in production and the dates that they were done and if my memory serves me corectly the car # as well Very very handy little Bible to have to assist in your restoration Good Luck Ron

• Like 1

Ron Lawson, I feel so stupid! I tried every way I could to get on the Dodge Brothers Club to join, and every time they ask for me to "login", or ask for me to open my "account". What on earth is an "account"?  I went to several different sites, and every time I ended back at the same website - even when they said to go to the webmaster if I had trouble getting on, and it sends me BACK to adding my "account". Even to join, it says I must "login", which I can't do. I tried every login I can remember, and none worked. I looked everywhere for a phone number. Any ideas? Willy:angry: 

Edited by Willy (see edit history)

On 3/31/2016 at 9:02 AM, Willy said:

My rough measurement of the height, not including the radiator threaded cap piece, is around 22 inches. The others I have are around 25 inches. Problem is, my radiator shield has the (pressed?) fitted emblem, not one with a post. Would that hurt the car being original?

willy

My  18    radiator  shroud  is 23 in  tall  and 21 in  wide

bob