Riviera or Vette?

PWB

They are the same visually though I've never tried one for fit that was on a Vette. As long as the retaining cleats that grip wheel are in same place they would be same. I had "heard" in past they were interchangeable. These super deluxe wheel covers were a $58 option on the 67 Riv.

Chevy has 2 versions out there. The one you show has a recessed plastic medallion which was optional on Corvettes. All Riviera's that used this wheel cover had a recessed medallion as well. The other version that Chevy had does not have a recessed center and the medallion sits flush, plus, the medallion is not plastic, but rather a glued on tin or aluminum piece. These can be found on first generation Monte Carlo's and other Chevy's.

The wheel cover with the recessed medallion looks the same for Chevy and Buick although I have never put them side by side to compare. It looks like you could just swap out the medallion with no modifications. I had a set of these and they can be easily disassembled for a thorough cleaning and polishing. No other GM division used this wheel cover.

I don't want/need them but for a prospective buyer it might help them to know if your rally  (Formula Five) wheels are for a disk brake car or are they the older drum brake version that will not clear the caliper on the disk brakes.  Code 802 or 853 will be stamped on the inside of the rim (tire dismounting is necessary to find this number.)  802 is for the drum brakes; 853 is for the disk brakes.  Here's another way of telling the difference.  You might be able to use this method without dismounting a tire.  '64 - '67 Rim Code 802 has a valve stem mounting hole of 5⁄8" diameter; '67 - '70 Rim Code 853 is 7⁄16" diameter.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Sadly, the death and once art form of the wheel cover remains a stigma. Seems everyone had to have the rally or race rim and tossed the covers. Like polyester suits, there were terrible wheel covers. But there were some real beautiful, original things created then.

The Riviera was unique. Rallys are not as unique to me.

post-155663-0-04379900-1454635558_thumb.

post-155663-0-19024300-1454635575_thumb.

post-155663-0-01334000-1454635605_thumb.

Rallys are not as unique to me.

Exactly my thoughts.  Both my '63 and '64 are now riding on the rally wheels but as I finish their restorations, each will wear the pinnacle for the year cast aluminum turbine wheel cover.  I've been playing with one on my polishing wheel and right now you can't tell it from a chrome piece.  Lots of work but I think it's well worth it. 

However, the Silver '65 Gran Sport just needs them to set it off.  I had thought about trying to find a set of the Gran Sport wheel covers but then thought that doing that would, in a buyer's eyes, not be as cool as the rally wheels.  You rarely see any of the unique '65 Gran Sport wheel covers.  Does anyone out there have them on his car?  If so, could you post a picture?

Thanks,

Ed 

Ed

Ed, the GS wheel cover used the same standard wheel cover as a base from the regular Riviera and other full size Buicks and had the spinner bolted to it. I am not 100% sure of this, but the spinner looks like the same one used on the 64 turbine cover. If so, if you wanted to use a GS wheel cover, you may be able to create your own. The standard wheel covers are always on Ebay for very reasonable money.

As others have been saying, I miss the artistic design of the wheel covers. Some were beautifully done and were a piece of art. I have become somewhat bored with the aluminum wheels that dominate the offerings today. One thing about the deluxe wheel cover besides its classy looks though is the weight of those things!

I know that they're not the same spinner.. !) the spinner snaps into the cast cover with the same kind of spring teeth that a wheel cover does, and 2) the spinner is made of die cast and is pretty heavy; probably too heavy to be supported by a stainless cover. I also think that the snap on spinner is larger in diameter.  I could be wrong, but I'm open minded.  If someone has some that they can measure and compare, I'd be interested to see the comparisons.  I can take measurements on the cap for the cast wheel cover if needed.

Ed 

Addendum:

I just found a picture of one on eBay.  It could be that just the spinner part, might be the same, but it bolts on from the back.  Does the standard '65 Riviera wheel cover have a bolt on center cap?

I think the plastic center in the wheel cover is held in place by metal tabs but not sure. You would have to remove the spinner from the dish with the spring teeth but I am curious if the spinner itself (less the dish with the spring teeth) is the same unit. Maybe someone knows this for sure and can chime in.

Here's a link to one for sale on eBay right now.  There is a picture of the back side that shows that the spinner is held on with screws and the rest of the cover is one piece.  If someone has one and can take some measurements, I can compare those measurements to the spinners on the centers that I have for the cast covers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-BUICK-RIVIERA-GRAN-SPORT-Spinner-Wheelcover-WHEEL-COVER-Hubcap-OEM-65-/361482929581?hash=item542a0fc5ad:g:dQUAAOSwFqJWslqQ&vxp=mtr

I'm sure that they're out there, I just need to see a sliver '65 Gran Sport with these covers on it to get an idea of what it would look like.  I know what the rally wheels look like on it, and they look good, especially the charcoal painted webs with the silver paint.  I'm just curious if it would make my car more unique without compromising the overall look.

Ed

I'm sure that they're out there, I just need to see a sliver '65 Gran Sport with these covers on it to get an idea of what it would look like.  I know what the rally wheels look like on it, and they look good, especially the charcoal painted webs with the silver paint.  I'm just curious if it would make my car more unique without compromising the overall look.

Ed

post-132429-0-76205000-1454710378_thumb.

It would look sorta like this

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It would look sorta like this

Exactly, "sorta like this."  That looks like a brochure picture from the era.  I wish it were a high def color picture.

Ed

I think my silver '65 looks great with the optional wire wheel covers. They really bring out the elegance of the car's design, although I guess you could say for a GS they're not exactly sporty. Drew

The spoke covers are very nice and I agree that they are elegant, but they're not the unique covers that came as part of the Gran Sport package, which most buyers neglected and went for the optional rally wheels.