Leaf springs

HarryJ

Is it better to have springs rearched; or should you have new ones made? Can anyone recommend a leaf spring manufacturer that can reproduce leaf springs of the twenties/thirties duplicating tapers etc. to make the springs look like the originals. Or is there a NOS supplier out there?

I have been searching for leaf springs for a '36 Plymouth. They used to be available up to just a few years ago but now have gone obsolete. I've contacted 3 major spring manufactures and while they could make new springs, the original thickness and grade of steel is no longer available. The new springs would have slightly thicker leaves which would probably affect ride height, which could be adjusted by removing certain leaves, but that could be a crapshoot. Also the pricing was way high. I would inquire though, as they may be able to help in your particular case. I tried Triangle Spring in DuBois, PA. You might try Eaton Spring; there are many spring manufactures out there.  Good luck  Jim

By the way, I was looking through my files and found "leaf Spring Data Manual, Volume 12" compiled by the Leaf Spring institute. It covers springs up to and including three ton units for cars 1946 thru 1956. Are there earlier versions available out there?

Don't make this harder than it needs to be. Look in the Yellow Pages for a spring shop or ask your local garage mechanic. They used to be in every town, and they are still around although today they do mostly trucks.

Take your car to them and they will remove, recondition and reinstall the springs for around $200 - $300.  I can't guarantee your local prices but usually around $200 .

You will pay that much or more for new springs, plus shipping, plus installation. So save your time and money and have a local shop do them. If your springs are good they can recondition them or if not, they can make new ones. They do it every day. There are no secrets to making springs, your local shop can make them the same as some company on the other side of the country.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

By the way, I was looking through my files and found "leaf Spring Data Manual, Volume 12" compiled by the Leaf Spring institute. It covers springs up to and including three ton units for cars 1946 thru 1956. Are there earlier versions available out there?

Attached is the earlier Plymouth spring data you were looking for.

Harry

Plymouth Springs.pdf

Edited by hwellens (see edit history)

Guest wayne Clevinger

www.generalspringkc.com/ I just had a front set of front springs made by these people for my 36 Plymouth P2. They were made to original specs, fit and finish is just like the originals. $460.00 including shipping.

Harry j :  I got the front springs for the 37 special from ESPO  springs and things   PA, they advertise here . $100. each ,    but havent   mounted yet . . Thats pretty cheap .   I hope theyre  good . Does anybody ever tried ? 

Also   can anybody tell me if the leaf springs can be copied from the old ones just by looking at ? or they need some kind of strength of the metal or some  specs ?       If youre in the east coast  Newark spring in Newark can make it for you. let me know if you need the add.