Off Topic - LED lights

Taylormade

I bought six 48 inch long LED strip lights for my garage and installed them last spring.  They are supposed to work much better than florescents in cold weather and use less power.  They worked great and gave off a lot more light.  So, I was happy - until this morning.  It's just above zero Fahrenheit here in central Illinois and I went out in the unheated garage this morning and hit the light switch that turns on two of the lights.  One light started flickering, or actually strobing, and the other didn't go on at all.  I waited until things warmed up to about ten degrees and then tried the switch again.  This time the one light strobed for a few seconds, then went on.  The other light still did nothing.  I went into the other part of the garage and hit the switch for the other four lights.  The first light in the series flashed, no other lights went on, and then the flashing light went dead.  Now I have one working light out of six.  These things are rated down to zero F and are supposed to be great in cold weather, so what the heck is going on?  They are rated to last 35,000 hours and at fifty bucks a pop, they aren't cheap.  I'm hoping they will comeback on once it warms up, but I don't think it's going to happen.  They are hardwired, so I can't just unplug them and take them back, I'll have to get up in the ceiling and remove everything - not a fun job..   Anybody else dealt with this problem?

Slightly above zero.  Limit is zero and up.  I would assume there is a little leeway in the specs, but "official" I was above the lower limit at the time.  In fact, it was about ten degrees in my garage.

I was very surprised as I have had absolutely no problems with the lights until this morning.  The store I bought them from seems willing to refund me my money if I can track down the receipt or credit card information.  Luckily, my wife is a good record keeper.

Guest Bob Call

I don't care what the PC environmentalists say, you can't beat good old fashioned incandescent bulbs and I'll stay with them until I die. Every time I find them on sale I buy a 4 pack of 100 watt. I use two 150 watts in my garage.

When I wired my garage for real light I made two banks of lights, one six A bulbs and one seven A bulbs on separate switches.  I had older florescent bulbs for a long time and really didn't want to go that route again. I do have a few four foot fluorescent lights over benches and the like but I unplug them when it gets cold. I can see well and have no issues at all. I also found out that although 100 watt incandescent bulbs are no longer made, rough service incandescents still are. I bought 10 packs of 4 last year. Not quite a lifetime supply, but darn close.  

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

I find this thread surprising.  There is nothing inherent in LEDs that make them sensitive to temps.  Modern cars have LED lights that work at sub-zero temps with no problems.  More likely the problem is a solder workmanship issue on the actual light fixtures.  In the aerospace industry we use rapid thermal cycling as a way to screen workmanship issues on circuit boards, especially bad solder joints.  I assume these lights are Chinesium...

Joe,

That was my thinking. I bought them after dealing with fluorescent lights in cold weather in my old garage. Of course they are Chinese. I believe about the only American made object I currently own is my 1932 Dodge Brothers. As I said, they've worked fine until yesterday's cold snap, so I suspect that was the cause.

Just put 8, 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs in my garage (they just screw in like normal bulbs) it was -16 degrees last night and they flipped on just fine.  My guess is they will last the rest of my lifetime.  They take about 8 watts each so the 8 bulbs take about 64 watts to run all 8.  The LEDs should be good to -40F. 

Most likely it's your LED drivers.  Can you bring one inside and warm it up and try it?