65 Radiator side seals

alini

Anyone have a source for the side seals for the radiator on a 1st gen?  My car had a strip of rubber about 8-10 inches long shaped in a L shape.  It was mounted to the sidewalls of the radiator cavity with the same clips as the hood seal above the firewall.  Cant find them from any of the standard parts suppliers.

• Like 1

They sit between the radiator and sides of the inner fenders, but yes the theory is they would force more air through the radiator rather than slipping by the sides.

I cant be the only car with these, both sides are the same and they were mounted with the same clips as the hood seal above the firewall.  If they were installed by someone previous and not factory I would be really surprised, the holes are drilled very precisely.

I don't think that I've ever taken a radiator out of a 1st generation car that had a seal on it  but I'm thinking that a length of universal trunk seal around the square edge of the shroud would seal it to the radiator and prevent a loss of some air flow.  Something like this perhaps?  I know it's not what you're looking for but it would serve a similar purpose. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NBXKWZG?psc=1

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Dude.  Something new to me.  I just looked at the inner fenders for my '64 (they're lying on the garage floor) and I see two holes on each of them, but there's no indication that anything was ever installed there.  Not a bad idea, and it looks like that seal could be made from any L  shaped piece of rubber. 

Ed

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Hi Chris. My  AC  '64 has those seals.  Possibly only AC equipped cars had them ? They certainly appear to be an original fitting.  Cheers,  Dale.

So you are saying you believe this to NOT be original?

Not at all, I'm just saying that my car did not have them but there are holes in the inner fenders for clips.  Who know how many times the radiator may have been removed before I got the car. 

What are the dimensions of that piece?  Are both sides the same thickness?  Is it thicker towards the middle than on the edges?  Length? Side widths?  In other words, what is the cross section profile. 

Guest Dale in Vancouver

In the parts manual there is a listing - Seal,  Radiator to Front Sheet Metal                           1356857       x 2

- Retainer,  Radiator to Front Sheet Metal Seal             3791659      x 4

May or may not help.    Cheers,    Dale.

Not at all, I'm just saying that my car did not have them but there are holes in the inner fenders for clips.  Who know how many times the radiator may have been removed before I got the car. 

What are the dimensions of that piece?  Are both sides the same thickness?  Is it thicker towards the middle than on the edges?  Length? Side widths?  In other words, what is the cross section profile. 

The overall length is 9 inches.  The width of the face along the radiator support (mounting surface) is 7/8s and the width of the face from support to the radiator (sealing surface) is 1 inch

Edited by alini (see edit history)

In the parts manual there is a listing - Seal,  Radiator to Front Sheet Metal                           1356857       x 2

- Retainer,  Radiator to Front Sheet Metal Seal             3791659      x 4

May or may not help.    Cheers,    Dale.

I found the retainer.

www.rjlautofasteners.com/2014

It's a PDF catalog.  Page GM2 (keep scrolling and then some more - my text box shows it's PDF page 41 of 52.)

Their part number 5230 for a 1962 Chevy II front fender molding clip  $2.75 each

3791659 is in ( ) at the bottom of the picture.

Guest Dantana

I have been up and down through their site, if you have a link to it let me know cause I cant find it.

See RIvNuts post. RTRW usually has everything I need. But maybe not in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

I cant be the only car with these, both sides are the same and they were mounted with the same clips as the hood seal above the firewall.  If they were installed by someone previous and not factory I would be really surprised, the holes are drilled very precisely.

my A/C car had them too. I don't think mine looked the same as yours Chris. I will have to try & dig mine up for a closer look

• 2 weeks later...

I found this locally today.  One side of it is a little too wide but could be easily trimmed to the correct dimensions.  It's not rubber, but a synthetic that is designed to with stand temperatures up to 500 degrees F.   The only caveat is that one side of the seal has a strip of adhesive on it; it could be utilized or peeled off. 

I can buy some and sell it by the foot; from what I've read, it would take two feet.  Two running feet would cost about $20 shipped to anywhere in the contiguous U.S..  If anyone is interested, let me know. can buy it by the foot in 12 foot lengths.  I'll give everyone chance to respond before I make a trip to the manufacturer's so I know how much to buy.  I'd need six orders in order to buy some.

If anyone would care to send an old one to me, I could probably make them to fit, holes included, no fasteners.  I'd have to work out a price on that.

Ed

post-93305-0-32040600-1449705811_thumb.j

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I packed a few sets of used ones for the national. I also had some e-mails through this site that I just looked at. They were a few months old. If anyone needs parts please contact me at abandg@aol. I started packing for the show. If anyone wants me to bring something let me know. I cannot bring everything I would need a tractor trailer.  My phone number is 610-359-8901 or e-mail me. Thanks Gene

• 5 years later...

Here's what I found from my original inquiry. I never followed through on the original post, mainly because I did not have any dimensions to which I could compare.IMG_20210705_120144044_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg.33749b9c160935c86fa75db988eb7177.jpgIMG_20210705_115910271_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg.b12ffb40b7c146cb4a570e546e19c66e.jpg

I am assuming that this is the part number.

IMG_20210705_115743947.jpg.53d67daef79da984a603f3ed24755e0b.jpg

Could not find that part number (25-3142259-7) on there website so it must be an internal number.

They did not get back to me yet (probably due to the holiday) but hopefully tomorrow.

It will be a lot easier with a part number.

Thanks again for the feedback

Carl