My question of the day

Guest okcslim

Guest okcslim

Hello friends. I pulled this tranny from a 1920's engine. Clutch disc, gears and everything looks good. Should I just flush, clean and run this as is? Or should I tear it completely down and replace the seals and stuff? If it ain't broke don't fix it is kinda my motto. Truck hasn't moved under its own power in approximately 80 yrs.

I always recommend a full teardown on old trans. For rear ends a good cleaning with solvent and inspection is usually enough. My reasoning is that the bearings on a trans. that are the most likely to give trouble are the ones on the lower shaft {countershaft}. And it is impossible to determine what condition they are in without a full teardown. The old style non-syncro boxes always loose small bits of hardened gear tooth material. This material ends up in the bearings and sooner or later damages them . It's far better to catch this damage before it results in bearing failure and damage to shafts and gears.

Rear ends see far less of this gradual loss of tooth material and bearing contamination. They are usually good right up to when a tooth breaks and the gearset is wiped out.  All the bearings except the front pinion bearing are reasonably easy to inspect without a full teardown.

Greg in Canada

There might not be a seal on it that you need to replace. At least take the clutch pack apart, make sure the discs are straight and all the teeth are there and they slide easily on the splines. A little drag from grease or a slightly out of true clutch disc will make the clutch not disengage fully and every time you try to put it into gear it will grind grind grind. Wash them off with a solvent that wont leave an oil residue on them. 

FWIW , I agree with absolutely everything said here. While that may seem a little contradictory , let me explain. Having gone through , and not , 2 crash boxes out of the '20s , the first thought is go for the low hanging fruit. But look , is the subject truck pictured in your avatar ? If so , it will be primarily a static vehicle , with occasional short distance use. There is a large difference in necessary prep for a parade , or round the block type of vehicle , and a tour car. If you were preparing for thousands of miles , or returning a truck to service , you would be smart to go into the trans. If not , let the dogs sleep , and use your limited ? time elsewhere. Again , just my opinion. - Carl

Guest okcslim

FWIW , I agree with absolutely everything said here. While that may seem a little contradictory , let me explain. Having gone through , and not , 2 crash boxes out of the '20s , the first thought is go for the low hanging fruit. But look , is the subject truck pictured in your avatar ? If so , it will be primarily a static vehicle , with occasional short distance use. There is a large difference in necessary prep for a parade , or round the block type of vehicle , and a tour car. If you were preparing for thousands of miles , or returning a truck to service , you would be smart to go into the trans. If not , let the dogs sleep , and use your limited ? time elsewhere. Again , just my opinion. - Carl

Thank you Carl. Yes the trans is out of my avatar pic. Eventually I would like to put it in local parades, obviously trailer them to the parade.

Well , good. That does simplify things. Yeah , clean it well and inspect it very thoroughly. And as Linus says , particular attention to the clutch. Double clutching old crashboxes is made more gracious by using heavy oil. A modern approximate equivalent to what was used in most 1920s gearboxes is 250w gear oil. It is not precisely the same , among the differences is the much higher lubricating quality we enjoy today. Some ancient transmissions called for grease in the owners manual. They would recommend tempering the grease with kerosene in cold weather ! Without any serious suggestions to the contrary , I would blend maybe 20% synthetic grease into it. You appear to live in an agricultural region , so you know how enthusiastic the old timers are about synthetic grease in their heavy machinery. The old guys remember the increased maintainance needed in pre-synthetic days. Amsoil , Lucas , Mobil , and others have synthetic gear oil in 250w.

I am sure all of us are excited by your project ! Please give us progress reports. I hope I , and we all , are around to see pics of the parade ! By the way , I may be among the minority around here who don't know the make and year of your cool old truck. I am curious ?

Thank you for saving another historic relic for a great many generations to come ! - Carl

Guest okcslim

She is a 1923 Moreland I've graciously named Beauty and the Beast lol. I'm super excited about this project as I have never taken on anything like this. Pulling the engine and going thru it this weekend. Thanks for the advice and interest in the truck Carl.

Back at ya , Slim ! You and everyone else hanging on this thread will get to panting over these yard dwellers at Bernie's. I enjoy very much visiting with Bernie Long. He is in Burlington , Ca. That is East of L.A. before you get to Redlands , just off I-10. Bernie does advertise in Hemmings , and FYI , is about old enough to be your granddad. I wish Bernie was my dad , but I am afraid he'd'a had to have been a real early starter ! My hat is off , and a deep bow of respect to your energetic self. Wow ! What an incredible sense of pride you restoration wizards must have in your creations ! Thanks again for what you are doing. - Carl

post-139274-0-38959800-1445535202_thumb.

post-139274-0-59092500-1445535272_thumb.

post-139274-0-55845200-1445535362_thumb.

post-139274-0-33577600-1445535423_thumb.

post-139274-0-00738800-1445535495_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , Gilletman , I see what you mean from the radiator ! It is a White as perhaps this closer pic shows. Let's see if the resolution is good enough to expand in this posting. - Carl

Hmmmm , although some detail has been lost from the original by compression , it is still barely legible. CC

post-139274-0-31236400-1446574712_thumb.

Edited by C Carl (see edit history)

Great pix. Wouldn't mind seeing that someday, either. Looking at the Lincoln 3 cars to the left of the White in the first photo, it looks pretty ancient. 1924? My family had a '22 for 50 years. Nice pic of the Franklin engine in shot #3. 1922?.