Want opinions on this '68 Mustang

bosco001

Matt,  your comments are always spot on but you and I both know in the 5.0 engine in your wife's Mustang was the only reason you got that car for 23k (which is still a good deal btw).

I can wait patiently for someone to post a link to a matching number 4 barrel/4 speed Mustang convertible for under 30k. 

This car had a floor replacement and is priced 5-8k to high.  But there seems to be this notion Mustangs grow on trees (which is true for garden variety) but we are talking about a very specific narrow kind of Mustang.  

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

If you didn't buy it yet,  then it's not the car for you.  When I decided I wanted a C1 Corvette.  I started looking at what was available and kept an open mind.  I also really scoured the net even looking at Youtube and putting in Old corvette for sale.  I found alot of cars for sale.  I even posted a few ads looking to buy one.  I had a budget of 55G but really wanted to spend 45. I kept all the tabs up on my computer and refreshed them a couple times a day.  I then narrowed my search down to a 1958-1960 as I decided that's what I liked best and there were several on the market.  I also decided I didn't want any fresh paint and the more original the better. Within a couple weeks I found probably the best I would ever find.  A 60 290 HP 4 speed Fuel injected black car with  red interior.  Very nice body, rust free chassis.  I couldn't have asked for anything better as far as options.  Condition was very nice but not perfect and it was very correct.  The perfect car to drive and show if I wanted to. Of course this fell a bit out of my budget. Infact the asking price was 67G at a dealership, just in on consignment.  I emailed the seller and he was very good at getting me all the info I needed.  It all checked out. I asked his best price.  6G above my top budget.  Now we are getting serious though.  That's enough to walk away from but in the Vette world that car is the equivalent of a 426 Hemi 4 speed car in the mopar world.  If presented with the same deal in a Mopar would you settle for a 383 car when you had the epitome within reach?  I pulled some Strings borrowed a few bucks from the wife and finaggled a few things then made it happen.

Point being,   Be patient, be Serious, be ready, be creative in searching, and don't rule out something because it's a little more than you want to spend if it's priced right.  You will regret settling for the wrong car.  You will be happy every day you look at and drive the right car.  In Mustang's I don't think you have to settle for in this case a car with rust that's not repaired quite right especially if your willing to bend say on your favorite color a bit for another you like.  But as you mentioned don't bend on the 4 speed or the V8.  Those  and the rust free body will be what makes your car special over the field of patched up Automatics.  If you can see the rust repair on the car,  so will the guy that buys it from you.

Good luck.

Still thinking. I'm more than a little apprehensive about the improper rust repair. Plus, for that kind of money, I would expect A/C which I've had with other convertibles. If, it could be had for $25K, I would be more comfortable. But, the dealer won't let it go for that . . . at least, not now.

If the car is as overpriced as others indicate, I

consider that just a selling tactic of the dealer.

Please keep your wits about you.

He may be hoping that somewhere, somehow,

that one person--like you--may come along and

emotionally overpay as an impulse buyer.

Do you see that tactic in other areas?  Does the

grocery clerk price milk at $8 a gallon, just in

case someone, somehow, can't live without milk?

I'm sorry to be so direct.  But I would never get so

attached to a car for sale that I lose my rationality.

It's a buyer's market for most cars, and if you can't

acquire that Mustang reasonably, be patient:  

I guarantee that you'll find another interesting car

from the many, many more to come on the market! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Some interesting discussion you've sparked about a possible Mustang purchase. The good thing is that there are lots of editions of 1968 Mustangs out there. I live in Idaho, and the local thrifty nickel has a '68 Mustang FS for $7450. Not a convertible, but it's a rebuilt HP 289, automatic with shift kit, 9" posi with 4-11 gears. I'm not suggesting you buy this car a couple thousand miles west of you, just that they made a million or so Mustangs and there is more than just one '68 Mustang. At 7500 bucks, you might be buying a car with a few more imperfections than the one in Georgia for 38500.

I credit the seller doing a bang-up job promoting the car. Rarely have I seen a more detailed set of high-quality photographs telling you what he's got. There is a math error: the mileage the last owner put on the car over 17 years was just 385 miles not 1,300-something. That works out to about 22 miles a year if we go by his odometer readings.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

I've had a lot of Mustangs over the years and still hang out with a few Mustang guys. I don't see that car being in that price category.

There are just too many nicer ones available with a lot better chassis'. That's the number 1 concern to me when buying a uni-body convertible. A poorly done coupe is bad enough, but a drop top Mustang is a flexi-flyer with a shoddy weld job.

I know only too well from experience.

When in doubt, rule it out. That's a variation of the "When in doubt, change it out" mechanics credo.

Just think of the guy who settled for second choice on a wife. Cars are a special long term commitment, too. Did that thought scare you?

Bernie