1920s Dodge Brothers questions

Vintagecarguy

I've always had an interest in Dodge Brothers cars from 1915 to the 1920s and always had questions that I could never really get the answers to. One big question would be what an average/comfortable top speed is for a 1920s Dodge Brothers? I have read articles where a couple of guys say that 35-38 is as fast as they will go. Then I've read that some will go 45-50; one even said just over 60 (albeit they did admit it was scary). I know that these cars only have rear wheel brakes and babbitt bearings in the engine mean that anything over 50 could be considered 'pushing it' but what is a safe top speed.

Thanks in advance. Vintagecarguy.

I can only answer this for the Fast Four Dodge Brothers cars series 128/129 only with 108 inch wheel base which I have owned and driven as daily cars for the past 37 years , the sedan being a heavy car a road speed of 45 mph was ok ,you could go faster but with this heavy car you put to much pressure on the bearings (I replaced a few on the side of the road ). The tourer is much lighter car some 600 to 700 lbs which would allow 45 to 50 mph on good road at the most with out any worry, the buckborad ute is even lighter and can do 50 mph but I prefer to stay around 45 to 48 mph where the engine feels ok. All of the above is with standard gear ratio diffs (4.2 on 21 inch wheels) and are all 4 wheel brake cars. I find also fuel economy is best at around 45 mph. I know the add for these cars say that they can do " a mile a minute " 60 miles per hour but to drive at that speed you will be waiting for many things to start flying apart : engine ,tyers ,rims wood wheels etc, air to the side or safety drive slower and pick the roads that can allow you to do this . enjoy Bob

Edited by robert b (see edit history)

For the pre-Fast Four cars (12 volts and starter/generator combination), 45 is possible, but that's close to top end with any comfort.  You might get 50, but car won't be comfortable, as engine revs start getting too high.

These cars were not geared to go fast.  I'd say figure 40 mph as the comfortable cruising speed.

I owned four early Dodges, '20 touring, '23 sedan, '24 touring, '26 coupe.  I never had the '20 running, but the other three were all as described above.  Very reliable cars, very well built. but not speed demons.....

I can only answer this for the Fast Four Dodge Brothers cars series 128/129 only with 108 inch wheel base which I have owned and driven as daily cars for the past 37 years , the sedan being a heavy car a road speed of 45 mph was ok ,you could go faster but with this heavy car you put to much pressure on the bearings (I replaced a few on the side of the road ). The tourer is much lighter car some 600 to 700 lbs which would allow 45 to 50 mph on good road at the most with out any worry, the buckborad ute is even lighter and can do 50 mph but I prefer to stay around 45 to 48 mph where the engine feels ok. All of the above is with standard gear ratio diffs (4.2 on 21 inch wheels) and are all 4 wheel brake cars. I find also fuel economy is best at around 45 mph. I know the add for these cars say that they can do " a mile a minute " 60 miles per hour but to drive at that speed you will be waiting for many things to start flying apart : engine ,tyers ,rims wood wheels etc, air to the side or safety drive slower and pick the roads that can allow you to do this . enjoy Bob

For the pre-Fast Four cars (12 volts and starter/generator combination), 45 is possible, but that's close to top end with any comfort.  You might get 50, but car won't be comfortable, as engine revs start getting too high.

These cars were not geared to go fast.  I'd say figure 40 mph as the comfortable cruising speed.

I owned four early Dodges, '20 touring, '23 sedan, '24 touring, '26 coupe.  I never had the '20 running, but the other three were all as described above.  Very reliable cars, very well built. but not speed demons.....

Vintage, figure that a DB accelerates and has a top speed similar to a Model T. In other words, don't plan on doing any tours with your local Model A club.

My '25 has been pushed to 45 mph on one or two occasions over the last 8 years on a very straight and lonely road. It absolutely purrs between 30 - 35 mph. Enjoy it at speeds below 40 mph.

Thank you all for help. Are Dodge Brothers cars anything like a model T to drive; in my experience with a '22 model T roadster, it seemed "spindly." Are Dodge Brothers any sturdier or are they the same?

Thanks again. Vintagecarguy.

Dodge is much sturdier, Model T a fine car with a huge fan base, but the DB will feel much smoother and rigid going down the road.

The other advantage of the Dodge Brothers is a three speed gear box. Low and High, like a T (or my '10 Hupp), sometimes just isn't enough, and that middle gear can really help.

Shift pattern is a flipped over regular pattern, a little getting used to required, but adds to the fun!

Dodge is much sturdier, Model T a fine car with a huge fan base, but the DB will feel much smoother and rigid going down the road.

The other advantage of the Dodge Brothers is a three speed gear box. Low and High, like a T (or my '10 Hupp), sometimes just isn't enough, and that middle gear can really help.

Shift pattern is a flipped over regular pattern, a little getting used to required, but adds to the fun!

trimacar, Thank you for the reply. Vintagecarguy.

I've HAD my '25 sedan up to 50.......I wasn't comfortable and neither was the car.......  :wacko: ........but who hasn't  needed to open 'em up to see what they CAN do just because?....... ;)

For flat out comfortable driving 35 feels real nice.......  :) .......40 is "OK" but 35 is better.

• Like 1

The joke is that on British roads, you would be lucky to find a long enough straight to get her up to top speed before having to slow down for a bend! -_-

I do of course exaggerate but In reality, with the tourer, I always stick to the back roads and trundle along at little more than 40 m.p.h.  I have gone over 50 but probably down hill with the wind behind me! :D

The gearing actually prevents the car from going too fast and a sense of self preservation when relying on two wheel brakes also keeps the speed down.  IN FACT, it is not the brakes that are the problem but the narrow cross ply tires. :o

• Like 1

The joke is that on British roads, you would be lucky to find a long enough straight to get her up to top speed before having to slow down for a bend! -_-

I do of course exaggerate but In reality, with the tourer, I always stick to the back roads and trundle along at little more than 40 m.p.h.  I have gone over 50 but probably down hill with the wind behind me! :D

The gearing actually prevents the car from going too fast and a sense of self preservation when relying on two wheel brakes also keeps the speed down.  IN FACT, it is not the brakes that are the problem but the narrow cross ply tires. :o

R.White,

you bring up very good points. Like you say the gearing prevents it from going too fast, but when you think about it they were never meant to go faster than 40-45 anyways because the speed limits were so slow when they were new.

But Like you said, the brakes and the tires make 40 miles per hour fast enough.

Thank you for your reply.

Vintagecarguy.

Hi Mike.  In my case it was at first not possible to properly judge because the speedo reading kept moving about so much.  After refurbishment the instrument now reads steadily but it seems you are going faster than in fact you are.    I had a friend drive his vintage Alvis at 45 mph on a good smooth road and our readings concurred.  What I ought to do is follow a modern car because it is more likely to give an accurate reading.  The Alvis may also be inaccurate but in reality I don't think it matters what the reading says - driving within the natural limits of the car should be something you "feel" to be right.  The other day I was confronted with a  car coming up our narrow (single track) lane at a fair lick.  I realised how difficult it is to do an emergency stop on a poor surface and it has given me a better indication just how slow I need to go to be sure of pulling up in good time. 

Ray.  

If you want to check the accuracy of your speedometer and have a smart phone, Iphone has a few apps , I use speed box, it has a GPS

And records miles traveled when on, I checked it against my new truck and it was right .

It also has a speed warning setting to let me know when I am going to fast. And compass for directions,

Like R.White stated you get a feel for the correct speed , you have to drive very defensively and watch for snipers coming out of driveways and aggressive drivers late for whatever!,

Slow down , enjoy the view and smiles of people as you go by!,,

• Like 1