Chrome paint

JACK M

I know this has been discussed many times before.

But, on a new TV show that aired after the cup race Sunday a new car show, I think it was called Mobsteel.
Its about some guys in Detroit that are fixing up American cars on NBCSP.

They did a paint on chrome process on a 53 Packard that was pretty impressive.

Their quotes were like 14K and they did this process for a couple of thousand.

They showed close ups of the assembled project and on TV you cant tell it from chrome plating.

You need to see it in real life and make certain that it will be OK with you - bright lights and cameras do lie....... I've never seen any of those products up close and personal that did more than bear a resemblance to chrome plating.........

Hope someone else will chime in one way or the other.

My two cents

I had the show on the TV, but I was also doing other stuff ... walking in and out of the room etc.  I caught a brief blurb about the "chrome paint" and looked at the front bumper of the car they'd used it on.  The bumper looked like real chrome!   I didn't catch the name of the product/process.  Does anyone out there know about this?  I'll try to track it down with an on line search, but I'll bet someone will beat me to it.  I've seen some "chrome" powder coating jobs that looked pretty good, but, of course, close up, they can't compare to the luster and shine of real chrome.

Curious,

Grog

I've seen and worked with it. It's not passable for real chrome, but I think it would be great for the "chromed" plastics used in the '60's. It's much better than spray silver paint to cover a bumper in the interim before real plating.

I'm convinced enough that I'm going to try some on some Chevy 14 Inch Deep Dish Wagons wheels.  They are pretty much the same as the old 14 X 6 Chrome Reverse Wheels we used to buy back in the '60's and '70's.  If they work out good, I may possibly try it on some other "certain" parts, but don't believe I would ever use it in place of good 'ol quality Chrome Plating.  Especially on a rare and/or valuable part. 

I also found that the smaller the part, the better it looked. The base paint is a black, which must be sanded out to perfection, then the "chrome" coat is applied. Every imperfection in the black is magnified by the "chrome" coat. It's much like silvering a mirror.

Coincidentally we were contacted this morning by a company trying to sell us a spry chrome system. I think that if yoy paid a shop to do the work that it wouldn't be much less expensive than real chrome. Think about it, you still have to have the original piece dechromed and made perfectly flat and smooth and do any necessary repairs before beginning the spray chrome process, which is a multi step affair. How long could it be expected to last on the exterior of a car in any case?

Coincidentally we were contacted this morning by a company trying to sell us a spry chrome system. I think that if yoy paid a shop to do the work that it wouldn't be much less expensive than real chrome. Think about it, you still have to have the original piece dechromed and made perfectly flat and smooth and do any necessary repairs before beginning the spray chrome process, which is a multi step affair. How long could it be expected to last on the exterior of a car in any case?

I agree and one reason why it would be good to try it on a set of wheels first, as they can get some moderate abuse.  In my case the wheels are painted and no chrome would need to be removed.  The other good thing about it is that original type wheels are known to be pretty hard to polish in the center section and the spray chrome would eliminate that. 

I just need to find a good local shop, lol. 

I think I'd have to agree with Restorer32.  Having not had the need to have anything replated yet (although I will be there with my 53 Cadillac), I did some digging into the chroming process.  With the chrome process, I would think that a good 85-90% of the cost of rechroming a part would come from the labour involved with making the part as perfect as possible prior to plating with the other 10-15% being materials.  It seems like a very labour intensive process that would drive the cost.  Let's face it, metal work isn't cheap. 

With that said, how much savings could be had on materials on 10-15% of the project cost.

I also watched a few videos on the spray chrome process this morning prior to composing my reply.  While they look good and shiny, in a few videos, I could see bits of dust and orange peel in the finished product that one would not see by electroplating.  I'm assuming these wouldn't be able to be wet-sanded and buffed out like you would on a painted finish to get them really good.  Those would really stand out on the huge dagmars on my 53 Cadillac.

I'm sure the product has its place, but it also has its limitations from what I can see.

I'm sure the product has its place, but it also has its limitations from what I can see.

What product?  Does it even exist?  If it does, it must have a name or manufacturer's name, but so far, in this thread, nobody is "naming names".

Cheers,

Grog

I don't think they said the name on the TV show.

But they borrowed a big machine and mentioned that the paints cost about $2000.

It also took two people to do the spray and watering process as it is time sensitive.

They also mentioned that there was a lot of hand prep work, but the host shop ate that in an effort to make it affordable.

I agree that there is no substitute for a real chrome job, but that is a service that is pricing out most of us regular guys these days.

I think that the high cost of chrome plating is more related to all of the EPA regulations than the cost of labor to prepare the item (although that is substantial).

Following are some prices to chrome plate car parts from the February 1968 rRod & Custom magazine.

Ford beam axle - $20

Tubular shocks  - $ 4 each

Bolts, nuts         - 10 cents each

Axle housings    - $18 each (Ford)

Valve covers      - $5 each

'carburetor         - $5 each

Oil pan               - $15

Gen or starter    - $6 each

Backing plates   - $6 each

These are from an article explaining the "relatively high cost of plating",.

Oh to have a time machine

Edited by vermontboy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think that the high cost of chrome plating is more related to all of the EPA regulations

The EPA is the main reason why there are no more Chrome Plating Shops around here. 

Now I'm a Nature Boy, but don't you just love the EPA. 

They're also the ones that made me throw in the towel in a 35 year Remodeling and Repair Business, with their Lead Dust obsession.  

What product?  Does it even exist?  If it does, it must have a name or manufacturer's name, but so far, in this thread, nobody is "naming names".

I also believe if you call your local Auto Paint Supplier, they should be able to give you some additional info on it. 

I was just at my local store the other day and forgot to ask. 

Our regional newsletter did an interview and article

on spray-on chrome, which is probably the type of

product you're describing.  It can be one-third to 

one-half the cost of the usual electroplated chrome,

and the process can be applied to metal, plastic, and

many other materials.

Collector Jay Leno in California has made a video

about the product:

www.nbc.com/jay-lenos-garage/video/spray-on-chrome/n35122

That California company, however, is no longer in business.

The company recommended to us was Coat of Chrome

in Wind Gap, Pennsylvania.  Phone is (570) 656-5001,

and internet site is www.coatofchrome.com.

It is said to look just like regular chrome, though for

durability's sake, they don't recommend it on the front end

of an everyday-use vehicle.  I myself wouldn't put it on

bumpers, since like paint it could be chipped, but many

other car parts could use the process. 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I read that the spray-on chrome process is essentially the same as mirror-silvering. 

Yes, from the interview we did, that is what I learned:

The process is about 10 years old, an extension of 

the process by which glass is made into a mirror.

But instead of applying the silvering to glass, the

silvering is applied to a base coat, after a series of

chemical rinses.

Because the silvering is applied to a base coat, it

can go onto metal, plastic, fiberglass, wood, stone, ceramic,

and even cloth.  The Coat of Chrome website even shows

chromed feathers which were done for a Victoria's Secret

fashion show.  The silver plates chemically instead

of electrolytically, Coat of Chrome said in the interview.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1