Wanted to Borrow: Classic Car in Virginia

Guest swroberts

Guest swroberts

I would love to have a classic car for my wedding in October near Charlottesville, Virginia. I'm a transplant from Canada, so I don't know many people in my community yet. I'm hoping that a Virginia car owner would be willing to help me out.

Unfortunately, the two nearby places that might rent classic cars are both out of service at the moment.

If you own a classic car in the northern Virginia area, or you know someone who does, please consider helping us out.

I would treat any car like it was my grandfather's. I was a car show grandkid for many years, and helped my grandpa rebuild his 1964 Impala SS. He also had a '66 Galaxie 500, a '59 Cadillac, a '32 Model B, a '28 Model A hot rod, and a '29 Model A pickup. Unfortunately, his remaining cars are in Canada.

If you can offer any information or advice, please let me know.

post-154323-0-32044300-1438876462_thumb.

My siblings and I in the Cadillac with Gramps.

I'd be surprised if you find any takers on loaning you a classic car for your wedding; however, you may have some luck with someone volunteering the use of his car if he (the owner) was the one driving the car. Even with the owner driving his car as part of your wedding, most owners would decline to participate. This is not due to a lack of sense of charity in the classic car hobby, but is more a reflection of this era of "Too Many Lawyers". Your listing your request on this forum is certainly a step in the right direction.

Good luck,

Grog

Guest AlCapone

I'd be surprised if you find any takers on loaning you a classic car for your wedding; however, you may have some luck with someone volunteering the use of his car if he (the owner) was the one driving the car. Even with the owner driving his car as part of your wedding, most owners would decline to participate. This is not due to a lack of sense of charity in the classic car hobby, but is more a reflection of this era of "Too Many Lawyers". Your listing your request on this forum is certainly a step in the right direction.Good luck,Grog

I totally agree. I would add that insurance is also a major issue ! You might try renting one from a rental agency! Wayne

I think that hobbyists would be HAPPY to help you out,

as long as they are there with the car, not lending it.

Many in our region in Pennsylvania have performed

courtesies like that in weddings.  We are careful,

but lawyers don't govern our lives.

The AACA has many active regions (chapters)

in Virginia, and if you don't find someone via this forum,

it would be best to:

(1)  Call national AACA at (717) 534-1910 to find the

name of the AACA region or two nearest Charlottesville;

explain what you need,

and get the name, phone number, and e-mail

of the President and Vice President of those regions. 

Part of our website (go to the home page, and click

on "regions and chapters") gives some information,    

but it lists only Presidents' mailing addresses,

and not their telephones.

(2)  Contact the Presidents and VP's directly.  Telephoning

is more direct and personal than e-mail.  They should

be knowledgeable, and if they don't know right away who

could perform that service, they

can put the word out within their regions.

Doesn't everyone want to help a bride?

(3)  Follow up a couple of times so the request doesn't

get forgotten.

All the best to you!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Miss or Mr. Roberts:

You should realize that you can't be too specific

about what type of antique car you are seeking.

If one or two people are available, and each has

two cars, for instance, the choices are limited.

Once, the mother of a bride asked our region

for a "large, white antique car" for an upcoming wedding.

She didn't realize that cars were offered back then

in 15 to 20 colors, and that white wasn't really offered

until the mid-1950's.  With such specifics, she immediately

ruled out 95% of the prospective cars, and so her

daughter did not get an antique car for her wedding.

Guest AlCapone

Both owner and bridal party should make sure that the car insurance will protect both parties. You can indeed be careful but you cannot control the unforeseen! An accident can cripple you physically and financially. Wayne

Guest swroberts

Thank you to everyone for your prompt replies and suggestions! I realized it was a bit of a long shot, considering the possible concerns and issues. But your responses give me a bit of hope that we'll find something.

I grew up in Charlottesville and was just there this weekend. What type/vintage car are you seeking?

At this point, I think we're open to just about anything. We just hope to find someone willing to help us out. We're certainly not so picky as to turn someone down over a color!

I just read through that string of messages and couldn't stop thinking about how many cars I would have now if I hadn't been married.

Bernie

LMAO! Now that's a different perspective on the entire thread.

Cheers,

Grog

The insurance is not an issue as long as NO money is changing hands.  Having the car break down, not start, etc is probably a bigger issue.   Since no money can change hands you need someone who has a really big heart and lives nearby.

Are you sure about that?  Just mention to your vintage insurance company that you want to use your car in a wedding and likely their response won't be positive.  Many years ago, was just finishing a car and explained to Hagerty about wanting to get it insured ASAP to use for my sister in law's wedding.  Un unh!!!  And I can guarantee, no money was changing hands. 

What is the difference between driving your sister in law to church on a Sunday vs driving her to church on Saturday for a wedding?   If the latter is not covered then your sister in law should never be in your car ever.   We have used cars for friends and family weddings for years (J.C. Tayler insurance) and the resident lawyer (my dad) said everything is cool.   But it was never a commercial transaction, just friends and family. 

Hagerty has a very reasonable policy on use, that reaction, for a family event, surprises me. Seems to fit their definition of unlimited pleasure miles as long as money isn't involved and the car is not loaned out?

Folks, here's a bride looking forward to her big day.

She wants to make it special.

Long-time members, maybe she is

of your daughter's or granddaughter's age!

Car hobbyists are enthusiastic and helpful,

but would such a younger enthusiast, interested in cars,

get that impression from the comments this thread?

Practicality is one thing, but support and encouragement

go far in helping our hobby.

Pardon me for not explaining reality/practicality in an enthusiastic manner (my Post #2).  The Original Poster clearly stated that he/she wanted "information or advice", and I think that most of the posts in response to that request have been most informative. 

I am often not enthusiastic about reality,

Grog

Every time this subject comes up it's the same ol' same ol'.

Do you ever take friends along with you for rides?

I frequently do.....it's the part of HAVING old cars that's the most fun.

When visitors drop in the one car they most want to ride in is my '19 Model T Touring and I'm more than happy to oblige them......nobody ever forgets their first ride in a Model T.

If you take friends for rides now and then you're exposing yourself to the same liability as taking a bride and groom for a short jaunt.

You can kill yourself in a bath tub or a flight of stairs too so do you never take a bath or navigate stairways?

Maybe I should take pictures of my cars, hang them in my office and look at those instead of living in fear of lawyers.

Every time this subject comes up it's the same ol' same ol'.

Well, yes, it is the "same ol' same ol'", but I thought it would be more appropriate to respond to the Original Poster's question rather than refer him/her to an old thread dealing with the subject.

As do you, I enjoy giving people a ride in my old clunkers, errrh, umm, classics. These people don't necessarily have to be friends, and I've often given short rides to people I've met at shows or cruise-ins if they seem genuinely enthusiastic or interested in a car of mine. I thought that my post, among others, would explain to the Original Poster why, when he or she contacted the AACA (as suggested by John_S), there may be some reluctance on the part of some owners to volunteer the use of his/her car. I tried to point out that such reluctance is not because we (Old Car Guys) are a bunch of grumpy old men, it's because there are real concerns when it comes to using a collector car in what may be construed (by some) as a commercial enterprise.

I also tried to disabuse the Original Poster of the idea that he/she may be able to just "borrow" someone's classic vehicle.

Your inferring that my bath tub is a killer, and by further inference that I rarely bathe (because I'm afraid of my bath tub) is extremely offensive, and I'm going to sic my lawyers on you.  Oh, wait, I don't have any lawyers :o , not even one.  Never mind. :D

Goin' upstairs to take a bath now,

Grog

• Like 1

Our local car club has been generous in the past about driving wedding parties of people that we knew. We have never had an issue with insurance. The biggest problem we had was if there was bad weather on the wedding day some cars would not show up leaving the wedding party stuck with no transportation or they would sub their modern cars which also messed up the deal. Sometimes the drivers simply forgot or had something more important to do that day,We eventually decided that it wasn't really feasible to provide cars for wedding purposes. 

I am.  Around friends, cars, and helping others, I bet you are too, Grog!

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I especially enjoy spending time with friends, and, yes, I do spend time (probably not enough time)  helping others.  I guess that my somewhat cautious view of reality (and too often searching for the negative things) stems from 43 years of investigating accidents/ incidents, many of which involved the loss of human life.  But that's over now, I'm retired, and life is good.

There is a bright side,

Grog

Edited by capngrog (see edit history)

Your inferring that my bath tub is a killer, and by further inference that I rarely bathe (because I'm afraid of my bath tub) is extremely offensive, and I'm going to sic my lawyers on you.  Oh, wait, I don't have any lawyers :o , not even one.  Never mind. :D

Goin' upstairs to take a bath now,

Grog

LOL.......don't hurt yourself.......  :wacko:  ........you'll feel like an idiot suing yourself.......  :D

Guest AlCapone

What is the difference between driving your sister in law to church on a Sunday vs driving her to church on Saturday for a wedding?   If the latter is not covered then your sister in law should never be in your car ever.   We have used cars for friends and family weddings for years (J.C. Tayler insurance) and the resident lawyer (my dad) said everything is cool.   But it was never a commercial transaction, just friends and family.

The difference is this is not your sister in law! There is a major difference. Wayne

The difference is this is not your sister in law! There is a major difference. Wayne

Replace "sister in law" with "friend of the family" and I believe there is no difference.  If there is,  you better only let blood relatives sit in your car.

Guest AlCapone

Replace "sister in law" with "friend of the family" and I believe there is no difference.  If there is,  you better only let blood relatives sit in your car.

Imbelishment of the truth does not sit well with an insurance company, a judge or a jury! Wayne