29 DB Headlite help

stakeside

I am restoring my 29DB truck and prefer to use original bucket type headlites. I believe the plating is silver on the brass reflector.

1) I was quoted $200 dollars each to silver plate. Is the reasonable

2) How is the silver protected from oxidizing or is it required?

3) Are insert reflectors that can be retro-fitted to the original bucket cover?

Good questions...

1) sounds like a reasonable price

2) Its silver, it will oxidize, good wax helps

3) you should have inserts? I am assuming you are thinking something like buying model a inserts that are made out of stainless steel?, yes that would work with some tweaking...

OK back to the silver question, yes silver is slightly higher reflectivity than chrome, until it tarnishes.  If you want original silver is the only way to go.  If you want them to last longer with less maintenance and close to original chrome would be my suggestion, if you are building a driver and are not concerned about originality the replacement inserts are most likely the cheapest option.

Now the lighting side are you staying 6V? the best reflectivity is what you are after so most likely silver.  If you are going 12V buy LED inserts and use the SS reflectors (worst reflectivity, but it wont matter).

Personally, I just cleaned up my reflectors and wax them, use original 6V bulbs, but I put in a headlight relay (6V) it protects the switch from burning out (high amperage)  This provides clean power to the headlight bulbs (my 6V headlights are bright white)

Sorry about the long answer, hope it helps

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)

Thanks for reply.

You have silver plating on reflectors and maintain with waxing. How long will the plating hold up do the polishing? Can a clear coat sealer spray be used to eliminate the tarnishing?

The plating company suggested to have a clear powder applied. Not sure of this either.

My original lights lasted 55 years.  I had them re-silvered by a shop that does silverware.  So far that has lasted thirty years.  I was told to get the maximum reflection to polish the reflectors straight out from the socket to the front.  The guy said if you polish the reflector round and round you make minute scratches that break up the light.  I have never waxed mine I just polish with jewelers rouge every couple of years.  If you replace the gasket behind the lens it stop air flow and cuts down on oxidization.

Hello Stakeside ; I just started looking for headlight for my '31 dodge to replace sealed beams . Need some pics and info on lens and the bottoms ie. mounting and spacer ?

Would greatly appreciate any help.                  

You may want to do some more checking. I read something about a coating other than silver ,may have been aluminum or something ,it was not powder coat . But may been applied the same way .

Hello Stakeside ; I just started looking for headlight for my '31 dodge to replace sealed beams . Need some pics and info on lens and the bottoms ie. mounting and spacer ?

You may want to do some more checking. I read something about a coating other than silver ,may have been aluminum or something ,it was not powder coat . But may been applied the same way .

I have recent experience with 31 and 28 headlights. The 31 lenses are a bit convex an the 28s are perfectly flat.

I have recent experience with 31 and 28 headlights. The 31 lenses are a bit convex an the 28s are perfectly flat.

Just to clarify....the eight cylinder 1931 Dodge DG8 has convex lenses....the 1931 Dodge DH6 has flat lenses. The headlamps on the eight cylinder car are larger than the DH6 lamps.

Contact a company in Oregon called Uvira.  They electroplate aluminum to the original reflectors and then polish them. Nearly the reflectivity of silver without the fear of tarnishing.  Google is your friend....

Frank

Frank is close in the explanation. UVIRA deposits an aluminized glass coating over a nickel plated surface. Their process is used in making medical surgical lighting systems. Bill Atwood at UVIRA is a car guy trying to offer a service to the car hobbyist. You must supply the reflectors already nickle plated (not chrome). The advantage is the reflection is slightly better than silver, AND does not degrade over time. I use their service and am fully satisfied.

Uvira, Inc.
310 Pleasant Valley Rd.
Merlin, OR 97532
Telephone: +1.541.956.6880
Fax: +1.541.476.9096
email: uvira@terragon.com

They put a glass coated aluminum surface on that is almost as good as silver and will not tarnish with age.

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just to clarify....the eight cylinder 1931 Dodge DG8 has convex lenses....the 1931 Dodge DH6 has flat lenses. The headlamps on the eight cylinder car are larger than the DH6 lamps.

I like to learn something new every day, Thanks John.

I will use the Uvira treatment for my hheadlites.

I have 2 sets of headlites. one set for my 29 truck and other off later 31 model "E" series. The bucket type would not be correct for your UF. I will start a post in Dodge Brothers tread site inquiring for information on the more streamlined headlite.

post-113706-0-62508600-1439054783_thumb.post-113706-0-84138500-1439054822_thumb.post-113706-0-11674000-1439054848_thumb.post-113706-0-35470400-1439054898_thumb.