Just got this 1955 Super

Guest scripps

Guest scripps

So I just got this 1955 Buick Super. I got a stock WCFB as it was missing carb. Had the radiator re-cored. bled the brakes and hooked up to a boat gas tank as the stock is full of rust. ill cut it open and clean it out soon. today was its second outing and its working great. no speedo. the brake lights dont work so i guess that's a pressure switch down by the treadle vac master. the signal flashers fuse keeps blowing si i need to find a short. (ideas if your did that)? all gauges work and the radio. what should i look out for in a Buick that has been sleeping for 30 years. I'm 2k into the car so far seems like a good deal to me. Its my first Buick.

post-154097-0-29900600-1436922308_thumb.

post-154097-0-19290300-1436922314_thumb.

post-154097-0-71647300-1436922326_thumb.

post-154097-0-96359800-1436922338_thumb.

post-154097-0-67416600-1436922350_thumb.

post-154097-0-14155300-1436922359_thumb.

Nice Buick!   So chances are the torque ball seal on the transmission is leaking?  After a 30 year nap that may have to be replaced.  Along with valve cover gaskets?  How long a time period was it driven so far?

Guest scripps

so far I have 1 hour total driving. the trans burped fluid out the fill hole one time.I replaced fluid and its been just fine. I cant get the levers for temp to go to summer, they just got from top (winter) to middle. I have not scene a leak yet except from the oil pan area. im going to go look under it now as i got home an hour ago. Just checked. pass side valve cover gasket weaping. Anyone know where i can get the stickers for those. I might as well paint them and the ignition wire covers while they are off. what that green color code? or is it better to just leave it all stock and not change a thing

Edited by scripps (see edit history)

CARS, Inc. (www.oldbuickparts.com) in New Jersey has the green engine paint, valve cover gaskets, and many other parts you may need. Don't force the vent and temperature levers until you lubricate the cables and little doors underneath that they control, or you will break a cable.
I don't think the valve covers have any "stickers" or decals in 1955--just Buick green engine paint.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

P.S.: Where do you live? That's some pretty scenery in the photos.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

Well, if you've driven it for an hour or more then it's probably falling on deaf ears to suggest dropping the oil pan and cleaning it out first.   But it's still a good idea.  When you pull the valve cover to paint it, check for sludge.  If any, then don't wait to drop the oil pan.  To get the pan off you'll have to drop the exhaust cross over pipe and the pass side idler arm on the steering. 

Meanwhile, I am looking at the pictures again and thinking that car had to be stored inside.  It really is in nice condition.  Did you happen to see this set of pictures from this year's National Meet ?  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/258334-springfield-2015-53-v8-60/

Take a good look at Tony M's 55 Super.. It makes the Roadmaster guys drool!!!.

Guest scripps

It was stored inside I was told. All fluids were removed and it was preped for long term storage. All fluids are clear as a new car right now. My volt meter runs at normal when I idle but maxes out when driving. I lost the radio today when changing stations. I'll check the fuse tomorrow but am sure an old part burnt out. I can fix old stereos. Anyone know what cause the volts to max out when driving. Is there a voltage reg somewhere that may be bad. My turn signal fuse blows right now also. Not while using them just at some time during driving.

Nice car !! And a bargain at that price, I should say. The high battery voltage may well be caused by a faulty voltage regulator, which will be on the inner fender. Probably sticking contacts, or a broken wire. You need to sort it out or the dynamo will boil your battery.

Please. please rebuild the entire brake system, replacing all rubber parts (wheel cylinder seals, flexible hoses and above all, the master cylinder seals). If it has been standing for years the seals will be knackered, probably already leaking. But if your master cylinder fails, you will have no brakes whatsoever (no diagonal split system on a car this age). You do not need a nasty accident and the old car hobby does not need the bad publicity of an accident involving one of our cars.

Sorry, i do not mean to lecture, but it is so important; even more imprtant than cleaning the crud from the engine pan !!

Please do keep us posted with your progress with the car. Buicks are very nice cars.

Adam..

Edited by Alfa (see edit history)

Guest scripps

First thing I did was make sure the emergency brake was in tip top shape. I drive em slow for a long time. Lost the brakes once here in town. E brake drive home. Rebleed the system and it appears to be in good shape. But yes it will come out. Lost a hose to the heaters under the seat. Can I just block those lines off. I don't need heat.

Guest scripps

Nevermind. I'm going to replace all those hoses and clamps over the weekend. Found a good diagram on here

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...