Trying to identify 1920s automobile with partial emblem

Guest joeyvaughan

Guest joeyvaughan

This is the only Anderson automobile emblem I could find....

Thanks for that. I am digging in a stream right next to the car. That is where I am fining the parts. Hopefully I find something I can identify! Appreciate your help!

As I mentioned in another thread the frame you found looks a lot like a 1926 or so Buick.  Several features are very typical of Buick. They were reasonably large cars, but quite good sellers so many were made.  You should be able to find photos on the net of every Buick frame from this era and pin down the exact year.

Greg in Canada

Guest joeyvaughan

As I mentioned in another thread the frame you found looks a lot like a 1926 or so Buick.  Several features are very typical of Buick. They were reasonably large cars, but quite good sellers so many were made.  You should be able to find photos on the net of every Buick frame from this era and pin down the exact year.

Greg in Canada

Thank you so much! I will do that! Nice of you!

You measured the overall length of the chassis from front to back. That is not the wheelbase. Wheelbase is measured from the centre of the front wheel to the centre of the rear wheel. An overall length of 14 feet is not a big car.

Terry

Guest joeyvaughan

And we have a winner!! 1926 Buick

26_Buick_Master_Six_Rdstr_DV-06_ARM_04.j

Dang I love this hobby.

Hello Sam!!!! Thank you so much for your outstanding effort! 

Guest joeyvaughan

From looking at photos on Google Images, I agree it is probably a 1926  or so Buick.

Thank you so much! I really like to thank every person that contributed!! I am disappointed it is not an Anderson but a 1926 Buick isn't bad either. My 18 year old daughter who told me yesterday she saved the emblem from our old Buick and asked me if it would be worth something someday??? Well there is your answer Ashley.....YES......Thanks Gramps for leaving your car!!

Guest joeyvaughan

Hello Sam!!!! Thank you so much for your outstanding effort! 

How do you account for the wheelbase being several inches off??

Guest joeyvaughan

The wheelbase of my car is 104 inches. As you see the 26 Buick's wheelbase is much larger?? 

I certainly could have measured wrong and I will remeasure but I am fairly confident I did it right.

Guest joeyvaughan

How are you measuring the wheelbase? I don't see enough wheels in the photos to identify a wheelbase.

I am going to recheck Sam.  I am not a mechanic by any means. I don't mean to cast doubt because I am sure you know your stuff. One other thing that bothers me a little is the back of the car. Mine seems to go up in a curve. The Buick's of that era don't seem to or it's hard to tell? What do you think? If you look at my comparison with mine and the Anderson from online you will see the curve I mean!

The touring cars of that era pretty much all had that shape. You need to look at photos of those as opposed to closed cars. Google "1926 Buick touring car" and look at photos. The Sedans of that era won't have that same shape. I think you are being confused by photos of Buick Sedans. 

Guest joeyvaughan

Buick touring with the same curve at the rear....and the same band of sheet metal just in front of the rear fender at the door....

Guest joeyvaughan

Measurement

The little ball joint thing in the front I know is not the axle but from me eyeing it it seems dead center. I am pretty sure the rear part is the axle. If I am correct all Buick wheelbase specs of that era were considerably more.

Guest joeyvaughan

Buick touring with the same curve at the rear....and the same band of sheet metal just in front of the rear fender at the door....

Yes the Buick does appear to have a curve in that picture. It doesn't seem as pronounced as mine and in most other Buick pictures I have seen you can't even notice a curve. You are probably right I just need to say what I think! Thanks!

Guest joeyvaughan

The little ball joint thing in the front I know is not the axle but from me eyeing it it seems dead center. I am pretty sure the rear part is the axle. If I am correct all Buick wheelbase specs of that era were considerably more.

That's the gas tank you see just to the rear. I don't see a spot where the axle could go? Would they have put an axle under a gas tank? 

Guest joeyvaughan

That's the gas tank you see just to the rear. I don't see a spot where the axle could go? Would they have put an axle under a gas tank? 

This is just past the rise. Not really a spot for an axle I don't think.

post-153477-0-77956700-1436822888_thumb.

Guest joeyvaughan

Plus in your picture of the Buick the way the rear tire is attached does not seem like mine. The Anderson rear tire holder in my guess is very similar?

post-153477-0-56073400-1436823077_thumb.

Guest joeyvaughan

That rear item sure doesn't look like an axle (probably the leaf spring hanger) and the axle would probably go further back where the frame kicks up.

There is a hole about a foot up from where I said the axle is could that be where it goes?

Guest joeyvaughan

My rear axle is in the same spot??

If this is my axle area my measurements should be correct at 104 inches. This seems to not include Buick as I see it and visually it looks like Buick. So either it's not a Buick or my measurements are off by a foot??

post-153477-0-10566700-1436825223_thumb.

Good Grief!!.

The thing that you keep referring to is NOT the axle. It is a spring hanger. Measure from the spring hanger to the rear of the frame. Halfway between the two will be, approximately, the rear axle center line. Measure from that point to the front axle center line and, voila, that is your wheelbase, give or take an inch or so. I notice that the front axle also appears to be missing, so you can find the location in the same way as the rear. Just be aware that this will result in a measurement that is not, necessarily, spot on, but pretty close

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)

Joey,

I love a good mystery! Good for you for locating this relic and attempting to determine it's pedigree.

Something no one has touched on yet is the fact that, if it is an early Buick there may be evidence of a serial number on the frame.

Buick 1923 - 1925 - Stamped on a plate attached to the chassis in back of the left front wheel.

Buick 1926 - 1931 - All except 1930 Marquette are located under the right front fender.  1930 Marquette is stamped on a plate attached to the frame under the left front fender.

Buick 1932 - 1935 - Stamped on a plate attached to the frame under the right front fender.

The frame looks to be rusty but a little time with some PB Blaster and a wire brush may help locate a serial number or a plate (or missing plate) in one of the places noted. It may help to confirm or eliminate the Buick claim.

Good Luck!

Greg

Guest joeyvaughan

Good Grief!!.

The thing that you keep referring to is NOT the axle. It is a spring hanger. Measure from the spring hanger to the rear of the frame. Halfway between the two will be, approximately, the rear axle center line. Measure from that point to the front axle center line and, voila, that is your wheelbase, give or take an inch or so. I notice that the front axle also appears to be missing, so you can find the location in the same way as the rear. Just be aware that this will result in a measurement that is not, necessarily, spot on, but pretty close

Hahaha......Yes after and hour away I realized the axle does not go through the frame. I can't measure right now but it does sound like adding a foot or so on could bring it into the Buick range. I'm new but not generally that dumb. My apologies! It does crack me up! Thanks so much!

Guest joeyvaughan

Joey,

I love a good mystery! Good for you for locating this relic and attempting to determine it's pedigree.

Something no one has touched on yet is the fact that, if it is an early Buick there may be evidence of a serial number on the frame.

Buick 1923 - 1925 - Stamped on a plate attached to the chassis in back of the left front wheel.

Buick 1926 - 1931 - All except 1930 Marquette are located under the right front fender.  1930 Marquette is stamped on a plate attached to the frame under the left front fender.

Buick 1932 - 1935 - Stamped on a plate attached to the frame under the right front fender.

The frame looks to be rusty but a little time with some PB Blaster and a wire brush may help locate a serial number or a plate (or missing plate) in one of the places noted. It may help to confirm or eliminate the Buick claim.

Good Luck!

Greg

Hi Greg I cant wait to get out there and check. I do have to say that about 10 years ago 2 different sets of car people looked for tags on that car and didn't find any. But it could be they looked in the wrong spots! I'll let you know!

Guest joeyvaughan

From what I am looking at you are way off on your measurement. The rear axle would have been under that curved portion of the frame. Look at all of the photos in that earlier discussion. 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/154562-1926-buick-chassis-and-driveline/

Yes you are correct. I'm sorry I understand now that the axle doesn't go through the frame. A fact I am aware of but forgot I guess. Thanks again. I think you have it right. 

Guest joeyvaughan

Hi Greg I cant wait to get out there and check. I do have to say that about 10 years ago 2 different sets of car people looked for tags on that car and didn't find any. But it could be they looked in the wrong spots! I'll let you know!

Hi Greg I couldn't wait for morning. I gave it a good going over like I have already a couple times and still found no tag of any kind.  When it says chassis? Is that the frame? Cuz there isn't much besides that. I am going to google the exact tag locations to see if anyone posted any pics of where they are exactly. Thanks again!

Guest joeyvaughan

That rear item sure doesn't look like an axle (probably the leaf spring hanger) and the axle would probably go further back where the frame kicks up.

Yes I understand that now! Thanks so much!