Trying to identify 1920s automobile with partial emblem

Guest joeyvaughan

Guest joeyvaughan

Hi friends! I am the one trying to identify the old frame and parts in a few previous posts. I have  reason to believe it may be Anderson Automobile from South Carolina but it seems not much information is available. Obviously it doesn't say Anderson on it or I wouldn't be asking for help. This piece may not even be an emblem. Plus just because I found it feet from the frame doesn't even necessarily mean it even came from this car. I believe it does though. It appears in one photo that it was filed down? It seems like silver but I am not sure of that. The last pic is from an online antique emblem site. It does not specify what kind of vehicle it came from but there seems to be some similarities. Can anyone help me with this?? Thanks! Joey

post-153477-0-77671200-1436743387_thumb.

post-153477-0-96270600-1436743404_thumb.

post-153477-0-65082600-1436743421_thumb.

I don't see any emblem, just a rusty hunk of metal. I really think this whole Anderson thing is wishful thinking combined with a healthy dose of imagination. So far, I have seen nothing in any of the pix, that you've posted, to even suggest the pile of parts that you found are the remains of an Anderson.

Guest joeyvaughan

I don't see any emblem, just a rusty hunk of metal. I really think this whole Anderson thing is wishful thinking combined with a healthy dose of imagination. So far, I have seen nothing in any of the pix, that you've posted, to even suggest the pile of parts that you found are the remains of an Anderson.

On the far left is a piece of metal that is very shiny and does not rust. I took this piece out of the bottom of a brook. I believe it is a precious metal of some type.(the one spot, the rest is rusty iron obviously) When I remove that part and get she specific gravity of the metal I can tell you more clearly what type of  metal it is.  It has a nice silver streak when I rub it on unglazed porcelain. I think the only place a manufacturer would use a precious metal is on an emblem. If rhey are not Anderson parts what car do they come from. I'm all ears!

No American car, that I'm aware of, used any precious metal in their emblems. Not Duesenberg, not Packard, not Peerless, not Cadillac and, almost certainly, not Anderson. Most were Cloisonne, copper or brass, sometimes plated with chrome or nickle and colored, fired enamel. The radiator badge, on a car of that era, wouldn't be much larger than a silver dollar. Whatever you found is huge.

I cannot tell you what you have. All I am saying is your speculation that it is an Anderson is just that, speculation. Other than an oddly shaped piece of metal, which I am 99% sure is not automotive, with SC cast into it, is there any other evidence that it is an Anderson??  I mean, SC???? Come on!! Wouldn't it be more likely that they would cast "Anderson" or "Anderson Motor Company" into the part rather than the cryptic "SC"? It looks like a part from a cast iron stove or, maybe, some farm implement.

Guest joeyvaughan

Don't know if this will help but I found these in one of my books.

Wow! That is awesome! I need to go take a couple more pics. 

Don't know if this will help but I found these in one of my books.

That is awesome! I need to go snap a couple more pics! A dumb question...how do I measure the wheelbase?

Guest joeyvaughan

It looks like part of a fan blade. Maybe someone tried to repair it with solder?

I think you are exactly right! It it has the slight curve of a fan blade and the filing marks are there to take off excess solder. Thanks so much!

Guest joeyvaughan

Joey,

The silver looking part looks like body solder or lead not a precious metal.  Lead was used to hide body seams.

I believe you are exactly right! Thanks for your input!

Guest joeyvaughan

What made you believe Anderson, beside hope ? Wayne

Hi Wayne! The shape of the car seems to fit. If you look at a few of the pics or the video I have posted I think that is easy to see. I am not a car person so anyone here can see differences much more easily than I. The piece of metal with SC59 (South Carolina)which I believe you said does not look to be an automobile part but another viewer believes could be a heater vent. I believe I read the Anderson was the first or one of the first to have heat. Why not advertise that fact with a heater vent cover that is very fancy? My grandfather came to NH from Williamston SC around 1920, relatives now past said he arrived in a huge car that was spectacular. I understand other cars were available there. I will include her another pic of the SC59 and a pic of the middle of the frame where an apparatus exists that could have been used to lift and lower the convertible top. Another first for the Anderson! I hope with every ones help I can discover what kind of car this is! 

post-153477-0-07432100-1436796098_thumb.

post-153477-0-24478900-1436796124_thumb.

Guest joeyvaughan

This car measured from the front to the very back(spare tire holder)  is 167 inches or 13.92 feet. The width from outside bumper to the outside of the other bumper is 88 inches. The frames width is only 30 inches and 34 inches at the widest part at the rear of the vehicle. If these measurements are correct this car may be too large to be an Anderson??

Guest joeyvaughan

What made you believe Anderson, beside hope ? Wayne

I replied to your question below! Thanks so much for your interest and input!

Guest joeyvaughan

If I were you I'd try to prove it's a Duesenberg. Much more valuable. So far you have shown us nothing that suggests it's an Anderson. More likely the remains of a '50's Packard based on the emblem.

Thanks for your input! I listed my reasons below with some pics and also some dimension measurements that might give you a clue to what kind of car this is! Thanks!!

So the item you are referring to as a convertible top activation unit is the Clutch and mechanical brake system. I see that frame as indicative of a large-ish american car from the late twenties. Mechanical four wheel brakes (judging by the system you think is a top mechanism put it also in the late twenties. The heater vent or whatever is is - in automotive terms remarkable unfancy if not a bit unattractive. Judging by the sand cast parts number cast into the face I would not believe this to be any sort of device intended for an attractive application. It looks far more like a part of a coal burning heater/furnace or something like that. I hate to be a dasher of dreams but you are taking some leaps of logic that are rather remarkable. Good Luck.

Guest joeyvaughan

This car measured from the front to the very back(spare tire holder)  is 167 inches or 13.92 feet. The width from outside bumper to the outside of the other bumper is 88 inches. The frames width is only 30 inches and 34 inches at the widest part at the rear of the vehicle. If these measurements are correct this car may be too large to be an Anderson??

Of the few cars I have researched 167 inches is a huge car. Bigger than anything I have seen so far. 

So - 167 inches is huge for a wheel base of a car (how most cars are measured) However it is fairly small for total car length 13' 11'' is about the size of a honda. Wheelbase measurements are the distance between the center of the wheels and definitely do not include spare tire mounts and front bmpers. Could you post some full frame pics of this car that you refer to  - or tell me where they are.

Guest joeyvaughan

Of the few cars I have researched 167 inches is a huge car. Bigger than anything I have seen so far. 

Thanks so much for your reply! I can't measure right now but a little later. Thanks for the info. Here is a couple frame pics.

post-153477-0-02391600-1436797747_thumb.

post-153477-0-37871000-1436797771_thumb.

post-153477-0-35137300-1436797811_thumb.

Okay  - this frame is clearly from after Anderson was out of business. judging by the profile of the fender I'm guessing '26-'32. Also this is not a large car. This should have been your lead photo. I can't answer what it is but if you start going through google images looking for a fender that has a matching stamp profile - you may find something. However I'll bet money on the following statement: That's not an Anderson.

joeyvaughn,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. As soon as you can, please walk around the remains of the car and take about 4 to 8 photos showing the entire assembly from different angles from all sides of the car. There are lots of folks on this site who are good at picking out small clues to identify the remains of an old car but they need better photos to help you identify this car.

• Like 1

Guest joeyvaughan

The "apparatus" you see is part of the braking system.

Ok! Thanks so much! By the way the wheelbase measured from axle to axle if done correctly is 104 inches.

Guest joeyvaughan

joeyvaughn,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. As soon as you can, please walk around the remains of the car and take about 4 to 8 photos showing the entire assembly from different angles from all sides of the car. There are lots of folks on this site who are good at picking out small clues to identify the remains of an old car but they need better photos to help you identify this car.

Ok thanks! I see that! I thought a video of all the parts would be easier but I think pictures are now that you mention it. I actually wasn't sure how many pictures I could post at that point so I took the video! I will post some pics! Thanks so much!

Guest joeyvaughan

Okay  - this frame is clearly from after Anderson was out of business. judging by the profile of the fender I'm guessing '26-'32. Also this is not a large car. This should have been your lead photo. I can't answer what it is but if you start going through google images looking for a fender that has a matching stamp profile - you may find something. However I'll bet money on the following statement: That's not an Anderson.

Thanks so much for the reply! I just measured the wheelbase from axle to axle and it is 104 inches. 

Guest joeyvaughan

Thanks so much for your reply! I can't measure right now but a little later. Thanks for the info. Here is a couple frame pics.

Thanks. I measured the wheelbase and it is 104 inches from axle to axle. Appreciate the help!

Guest joeyvaughan

Since I am new here I am just learning how to post things etc.. A licence plate retrieved from right near the car has a stamp of NH 1931. As far as I can see no other cars are dumped here. But of course it is possible. If the last year this car was registered was 1931 I would suspect the car is much older than that. Of course this is supposition. My grandfather was a mechanic with several automotive patents and worked at the Mt. Washington hotel as a mechanic for almost 50 years. I am sure he could keep a car going for quite a while. 

Guest joeyvaughan

The wheelbase is 104 inches.

Guest joeyvaughan

So the item you are referring to as a convertible top activation unit is the Clutch and mechanical brake system. I see that frame as indicative of a large-ish american car from the late twenties. Mechanical four wheel brakes (judging by the system you think is a top mechanism put it also in the late twenties. The heater vent or whatever is is - in automotive terms remarkable unfancy if not a bit unattractive. Judging by the sand cast parts number cast into the face I would not believe this to be any sort of device intended for an attractive application. It looks far more like a part of a coal burning heater/furnace or something like that. I hate to be a dasher of dreams but you are taking some leaps of logic that are rather remarkable. Good Luck.

Thanks so much! As I stated earlier I am not a car person. I appreciate any information even if this is not an Anderson. Which is starting to come through loud and clear. My grandfather died when I was 10. I'd still like to know what he drove :)