Trying to identify 1920s automobile with partial emblem

Guest joeyvaughan

It's still a piece of history. It's yours and it's free. If it were me, I'd be tempted to dig it out of the ground, put it on some stands, wire wheel the whole thing and paint it with a good coat of POR 15 or Imron to preserve it.

But that's just what I'd do. I'm sure others would choose to scrap it or leave it buried.

Either way, it's yours, so do what you like!  :D 

Greg

Guest joeyvaughan

A) The very name Horseless Carriage points to the "veteran" era of cars - say pre 1905 - that description of manufacture is fairly correct as is the note of difficulty (not impossibility) to recognize particular frames by manufacture. This is several generations of vehicles prior to the frame you show. It has absolutely no bearing on automobile manufacture after the veteran era and is from a time before rapid internet searches and clubs full of enthusiasts when the tools we use today didn't exist.

2) Identifying a vehicle by it's frame alone is actually easy enough to do. If you'll note that hours after putting decent pics up you had the identification you were seeking. They really are all that different and these guys here can absolutely Make model and production year of a vehicle by frame alone - especially an easy one like a Buick

Thirdly) I understand how you can feel that the Oakland is just like the Buick. The cars of the late twenties are, from a styling perspective, quite similar to the untrained eye and from your identification of "convertible top opening mechanism" mounted laterally below and in front of the passenger cabin (brakes) I can say that you have some studyin' to do. Look at number of hood vents, detailed shape of radiator surrounds and - very importantly as it is one of the most noticeable of all 20s car identifiers - fender shape. The stampings are usually quite unique and I urge you to do some research to note the many and subtle design touches that differentiate these cars. I also urge you to invest in the best money spent on learning about cars (for someone like yourself that obviously has a passion) - Join The AACA. The fabulous magazine alone is worth that.

D) If the Anderson is a passion for you and you are trying to study up on it, I know a guy who has one in his private collection and very likely knows more about these cars than most folks. I would be glad to connect y'all when you're out of sources for research about the Anderson.

Thanks for all the info Sam! I am very interested in the ins and outs. It really is a world basically unknown to most people. To me they are all similar looking until you put them side by side then the differences are glaring. I would have loved to have been a designer back in the early days! I will think about joining the AACA thanks for including me in your site here. That was a real eye opener :)   Sam what do you think I should do with that old Buick frame if anything? Thanks again!

Is it restore able?

Yes it is restorable. Anything is restorable if you have enough money to spend on it. Unfortunately it is not worth restoring.

Not an exact perfectly correct number but it is restorable along the lines of if you have that frame, a lot of time on your hands, and about $50,000 to spend you can create a good $25,000 to $30,000 car.

MCHinson is right. Unless it's a neccessity for you to have THAT car - not one like it but that car, then it's a waste of money and very cost prohibitive. I like the yard art idea - Add some wheels and Voila... If not scrap is the answer (besides just leave it there). It would be SO much cheaper to buy a quality car than to restore this very incomplete and practically valueless pile of parts.

Guest joeyvaughan

Yes it is restorable. Anything is restorable if you have enough money to spend on it. Unfortunately it is not worth restoring.

Not an exact perfectly correct number but it is restorable along the lines of if you have that frame, a lot of time on your hands, and about $50,000 to spend you can create a good $25,000 to $30,000 car.

Hahaha....good one! I was thinking along those lines. I have been a UPS delivery man for 31 years and I have delivered to Joe Stafford at Panel Craft LLC in Bethlehem NH for so long we are friends. I have seen him take just a frame and build the whole car around it! Some are well into the the 7 figure range. The Buick has sentimental value but I can still walk by it and have memories. Who knows someday when my ship comes in........thanks!

Guest joeyvaughan

MCHinson is right. Unless it's a neccessity for you to have THAT car - not one like it but that car, then it's a waste of money and very cost prohibitive. I like the yard art idea - Add some wheels and Voila... If not scrap is the answer (besides just leave it there). It would be SO much cheaper to buy a quality car than to restore this very incomplete and practically valueless pile of parts.

Yes Sam I am in agreement! If it had turned out to have been some rare, exotic, sought after collectors piece I might be thinking differently. I am gonna keep my eye out for something interesting at a good price and maybe give it a try! Thanks!

Guest joeyvaughan

It's still a piece of history. It's yours and it's free. If it were me, I'd be tempted to dig it out of the ground, put it on some stands, wire wheel the whole thing and paint it with a good coat of POR 15 or Imron to preserve it.

But that's just what I'd do. I'm sure others would choose to scrap it or leave it buried.

Either way, it's yours, so do what you like!  :D 

Greg

Thanks for all your advice. It did make a difference! That's a great idea! There is a nice flat spot above it and enough tree limbs I think I could jokey it up. Peace man!

It looks like the investigation is over and solved, but it's worth noting the NH registry of MV responded to my inquiry about Lic. plate "NH 1931 #32567".

I asked for year, make, owner and their following reply inferred they might have the info: 

"As New Hampshire has a privacy act the information you requested below could not be given to any person but the person it belongs to.."

It looks like the investigation is over and solved, but it's worth noting the NH registry of MV responded to my inquiry about Lic. plate "NH 1931 #32567".

I asked for year, make, owner and their following reply inferred they might have the info: 

"As New Hampshire has a privacy act the information you requested below could not be given to any person but the person it belongs to.."

I guess if it is in your hand then you own it.

Guest joeyvaughan

I guess if it is in your hand then you own it.

Hi Jack! I had thought of that too and did an internet  search but found little info on how or if that could even be done! Was it an E-mail request or did you call? That's too cool! You the man! I hope they have something on it! Thanks so much I will keep you informed!

Joey,

Been following this thread with interest. Really like the above post above where you also included your social media post where you acknowledged the help Forum members here had given you. And that special little touch of a 'period' photo of a '26 Buick! :D

• Like 1

Guest joeyvaughan

Joey, I was the person who ask NH RMV about the 1931 NH plate you posted. I emailed them at NH.DMVHelp@dos.nh.gov. and received a quick response from "Diane" at DMV contact ctr.

Jim L.

Hi Jim! Thanks so much! I will try that Monday and see what we come up with! That is really clever! Thanks Pal!

Guest joeyvaughan

Joey,

Been following this thread with interest. Really like the above post above where you also included your social media post where you acknowledged the help Forum members here had given you. And that special little touch of a 'period' photo of a '26 Buick! :D

Thanks so much for following the post! I was really surprised and pleased at the response! It certainly was a team effort with so many great ideas! The whole family is pleased to revisit part of Grampas past and take a look at what he drove before we were around! Thanks again to all!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joeyvaughan

Joey, I was the person who ask NH RMV about the 1931 NH plate you posted. I emailed them at NH.DMVHelp@dos.nh.gov. and received a quick response from "Diane" at DMV contact ctr.

Jim L.

Hi Doc! I got the same response. She said only the person who registered it can get the info. I asked for a way to get around this and got no response. I am not done trying though. I'll get back to you! Thanks again!