A Good Value? What say ye?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Royal-2-door-business-coupe-/221798153197?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33a4333bed&item=221798153197

It seems to me that this is a lot of car for the money. I am not a fan of the 38 Chrysler front end styling, however. My point is not whether or not one could "come out ahead" on this car, but rather simply that most of the 30's cars (especially coupes) that I see in this price range are not in this condition. The paint is very presentable as is, and with a quality respray the car would be extremely  nice. The engine is a later year which hurts the car some. Thoughts? How does this car "fit in" in your view?

I have no connection to the car, am not a potential buyer, and have not communicated with the seller.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I let a friend park his 1938 Chrysler in my garage one summer and while I was not a fan of the styling at first, I came to appreciate it as time went on. The coupe featured looks very nice and the price is in a good range even with the incorrect engine. Were I in the market for a car of that period, I would consider this one. Zeke

I don't think the engine makes much difference.  My Plymouth had a Dodge Engine in it.  I didn't even realize it until I went to get parts and decided to make sure of what was in their.  If it's cosmetically pretty correct most people never notice or care.  I had only one guy say oh it's got a Dodge motor when I was selling it. 

I think it's a pretty fair price especially early in the summer when the market is a little more active on the buying end.  You couldn't buy a 5000  car and make it look like that for the money

I also love how bidders play around.  The car isn't that far from the buy it now right now.  If you want it just buy it.  Otherwise you are wasting your time and quite possibly going to lose the car.  The seller even said the reserve is just below the buy it now.  

1950 engine visually identical to a 1938, with the possible exception of full flow oil filter. They made the same engine, with improvements, from 1937 to 1954 (for cars) and up to 1972 for industrial, marine, and military apps.

To me the newer engine does not detract, it's not like he put in a Chev V8. Only an expert could tell the difference.

If you like the car, grab it fast. There is no way you could buy an "average" car and restore it for that kind of money, or even twice that much.

Very nice car indeed! A late 30's coupe in that condition is worth the buy it now price of just under $20k.

Chryslers had a distinct style, nice little Art Deco tail lights and dash. A lot of Panache for the cash!

I also love how bidders play around.  The car isn't that far from the buy it now right now.  If you want it just buy it.  Otherwise you are wasting your time and quite possibly going to lose the car.  The seller even said the reserve is just below the buy it now.  

How true! I also like when they bid $2,000 on a $100,000 car. What are they thinking?...... "Maybe he'll just go ahead and cut her loose."

I like the looks of the Chrysler a lot. My Grandfather had a 1938 Chrysler Coupe in his collection, but not nearly as nice as this. To me, the 1934 Chrysler is the top of the pyramid in terms of Chrysler styling, but this one isn't any less attractive than a 1938 Cadillac, IMO. If it makes you feel any better, the 1930 Model A I have has a combine engine in it! :o

• Like 1

We've had a '38 Chrysler Royal convertible coupe in the family for 35 years. What I can tell you is that these are very well-engineered and easy-driving cars, with very light steering. I assume this car has the overdrive, as ours does. You can cruise all day at 65-70, particularly in your case with a somewhat stronger engine.  

I don't think that the newer engine hurts the car. I just think that the word "restoration" is a little abused a lot. Of course, the usual thing to be said....if I had the money, I would own it.