Ma Perkins and a '36 Plymouth

Here's a photo that you may have seen before. It's a press photo from the Chrysler Corp showing Ma Perkins and her '36 Plymouth. This particular copy is being offered on ebay at the moment. I'll include a link. Anyway, I just noticed something wrong with the picture. Who will be first to identify the flaw?

ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-vintage-Ma-Perkins-Press-Photo-1936-Plymouth-/381264584280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c523de58

photo link:

http://www.lindapages.com/jamboree/myrtle-11.jpg

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

The right hand wiper was optional. I don't recall at this moment, but I think that it was also included in a package as well. Plymouths never had the stainless belt line moldings. Knowing that sometimes helps when trying to identify derelict bodies. Seeing some holes in the door or cowl will tell you that it isn't Plymouth that you are looking at. Still, the major issue is staring right at you! I'm beginning to think that this is too new a car for your otherwise superior skills, John!

The right hand wiper was optional. I don't recall at this moment, but I think that it was also included in a package as well. Plymouths never had the stainless belt line moldings. Knowing that sometimes helps when trying to identify derelict bodies. Seeing some holes in the door or cowl will tell you that it isn't Plymouth that you are looking at. Still, the major issue is staring right at you! I'm beginning to think that this is too new a car for your otherwise superior skills, John!

Actually, there are original photos in my books that show that some 1936 Plymouths DID have the stainless belt trim. Depended on the model. Here is an example...

post-81542-0-24087700-1433873727_thumb.j

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The Plymouth sedan in the picture has a somewhat heavy handed beltline double pin stripe. I do think that the car and the strip are original factory colors, but I'm thinking that this particular stripe color is a particularly dominant one, however. It still shows quite well on the rear wheel. It does look like a stainless molding somewhat on the hood, but I don't think that it really is. I've never seen a Plymouth with stainless, but I'll take your word for it if you have other pictures which show stainless moldings on Plymouths. Still, I bet that they were never the real production models that reached the market. (Hint: Just like this one?)

Don't feel bad, John. Your knowledge is vast compared to mine. I have a great fondness for '35-'39 Chrysler products, so I know them pretty well. Nevertheless, while I've seen this photo before a few times, it was only today that I realized there was something quite laughably wrong about it. I'm going to let a few hours pass, so that some others can get a chance to weigh in on it. I'm sure that by tonight, someone will see what I'm talking about.

I'd love to have that blue '36 convert. If I owned it, though, it wouldn't have '35 headlights and tail lights, and way too many bumper guards (did you see the rear bumper?). It's funny how some people will always "gild the lily", even when good taste dictates that the "lily" was nearly perfect when it left the factory!

O.K.....I got it.....FINALLY! Not that obvious to most, but the lower windshield corners are supposed to be pointed. Only the convertibles had the rounded, lower corners. Thanks for the test. It keeps my mind working. What do I win?????????

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I was hoping that you would be be the one to get it. To the very best of my knowledge, the only '36s that had round lower windshield corners were converts and trucks (including woodies). So what we are looking at in the picture is undoubtedly a '35 (with round lower windshield corners) with a '36 P2 front end mounted on it. The one thing not P2 about it is that the headlights don't have the stainless trim ring, which makes them the same as those which came on a P1. In order to create interest among the buying public early on, it was probably necessary to cobble together what ever was available for publicity photos as long as it resembled the finished product. I'm not the expert that you are, John, so it tickles me that I was able to stump you, even if it was just for a couple of hours. Your prize is a pat on the back. Let me know the next time you are going to be Minnesota!

From what I see the headlamp trim is there. The trim in a very narrow strip on the headlamp  body opening. The lenses protrude past the trim making it look like part of the lense. The trim is only about 1/4 in. wide and hard to pick up on some photos especially with light  body colors. '35 bodies are almost exactly like the '36's so it might be an early production carryover. Most of these advertising photos were made in late '35 for early pre '36 advertising. 

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

I would never have known the flaw in that pic ... but reading through this thread, it's cool to see what it is.  LOVE photos like this ... vintage & with a bit of a twist-flaw.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Now & then what might have been interferes with what might be" __ Mark Chestnut __ 'I Just Wanted You To Know'

Excellent! You didn't cheat, did you?

No....my memory isn't THAT bad, yet. It was one of the first things I looked at in the beginning to see if it was the original flaw on the car.