1931 Hard Top 2 dr. w/ Rumble Seat

Guest 31rumble

Guest 31rumble

Hello all,

I'm newbie when it comes to this forum and antique cars. But I recently acquired possession of a 1931 Plymouth. My intentions are to get it to running condition and eventually sell. I wanted to borrow some of the intelligence from the forum here to see if I need any special types of the usual fluids (coolant, oil, etc.) for a car like this. It's been in running condition as recently as 2 years ago. But fluids were drained for long term storage. What are all the things I should check before trying to fire it up?

Also, it's my understanding that the car is a 3 speed. What is the shift pattern?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm sorry in advance if the information that I'm looking for is already posted somewhere.

Thank you.

I've attached some exceptionally crappy pictures, sorry for the poor quality pictures.

post-110253-143143094231_thumb.png

post-110253-143143094237_thumb.png

post-110253-143143094241_thumb.png

shift pattern, center is nutral, to the left & up is reverse, straight down on the left is first, up & to the right is second, straight down on right is third. Down means toward the seat. UP means toward the dash. your other ?? some one with that info will chime in. Nice looking car.

Safest bet, straight 30 weight oil, non detergent. Ethanol free gas if you can get it, the rubber parts in your fuel system may fail due to ethanol. Water for cooling, just remember to drain or add antifreeze before winter. Nice looking car....

Nice looking car. Sorry I did not get back to you from your pm. I have been really busy. You can do a quick search on this forum about getting a car running after sitting a few years. If you need help on the brake system, let us know. There are a few quirks about them you may not know about.

Guest 31rumble

Thanks everyone for the help. I discovered there's clean looking engine oil already in, and I opened the fuel cap and it definitely smells different, probably the ethanol free type trimacar mentioned. I've got the battery charging now. For now just cleaning her up. Will post pics after.

• 2 months later...
Guest 31rumble

UPDATE:

I've replaced the plugs and battery. When attempting to start up, the crankshaft turns but I'm not getting any spark. Tested the coil, and I'm not reading anything on the meter. Is there a fuse that could be out possibly?

UPDATE:

I've replaced the plugs and battery. When attempting to start up, the crankshaft turns but I'm not getting any spark. Tested the coil, and I'm not reading anything on the meter. Is there a fuse that could be out possibly?

There may be a fuse on the rear side of the ammeter.

Car should start and run without fuse.  Fuse is for headlights, horn, tailights, brake lights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest 31rumble

UPDATE

I've decided I no longer have the time to invest into the car. As stated in the original post, the car has ran as recently as 2-2.5 yrs. ago. How would you determine the value of a car like this? 63,637 mi on the odo. Not interested in parting out. Car is located in the Dallas, TX area. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Here's another picture after the car was cleaned up a bit.

post-152439-0-64919700-1449418656_thumb.

Isn't that always the question, what's it worth. My humble opinion: A bargain hunter will offer $5K and settle for $7K. A cautious seller will ask $20K and settle for $15K. A motivated seller and a motivated buyer will land somewhere in the middle would be my bet, between $9K and 12K. If car is in a good market area, value will be higher. More pictures showing general condition underneath and of interior would allow a better estimate. 

Guest 31rumble

Gunsmoke,

I like the way you put that. 12K was my estimate based on other postings on the web. I'll take more pictures later this week and try the For Sale section.