1972 Chevy Nova with only 4300 Original Miles

Guest ZechysChevy

First of all ask yourself what do you want, a low odometer reading of questionable value on a basic, semi-desirable car?

You have heard from many members about the authenticity of odo's on old cars. I would trust them. A 72 Nova with a 250 bolt action 3 speed isn't a $20k car.

First of all ask yourself what do you want, a low odometer reading of questionable value on a basic, semi-desirable car?

You have heard from many members about the authenticity of odo's on old cars. I would trust them. A 72 Nova with a 250 bolt action 3 speed isn't a $20k car.

Maybe not yet. I never thought I would have seen a 235, three on the tree in a low mileage 1957 Chevy 150, but alas it has happened several times.

Everyone gets all excited over low mileage, as if it's the Holy Grail of old car criteria, but any car with so few miles is going to need A LOT of reconditioning. It's probably a leaker, the brakes are shot, the fuel system is going to be questionable, the cooling system will need flushed, and anything else that has liquid in it contained by gaskets and rubber parts is going to be deteriorated. You're going to need new tires if you plan on driving it. The preservation is pretty cool, but if you think that by buying a car with extremely low miles you're getting a perfect car in new condition, well, you're going to be pretty badly surprised the first time you try to drive your "new" old car.

I much prefer cars with 40-60,000 miles that have been properly maintained and lightly exercised over the decades rather than thrown in a barn and forgotten until someone thought the time was right to cash in.

This Nova? I wouldn't doubt the mileage but it also doesn't make the car worth 4-5 times book value. There's probably a premium to be paid, but not orders of magnitude more.

I much prefer cars with 40-60,000 miles that have been properly maintained and lightly exercised over the decades rather than thrown in a barn and forgotten until someone thought the time was right to cash in.

X2. The absolute worst thing you can to do a car is to let it sit. Bearings rust, seals dry out, rubber parts go bad, mice eat the wiring and interior, etc, etc.

From the looks of the garage pics I'd say the dust is fairly new. Seems to me that there has been some recent drywall/construction work in there and the "years of dust" were actually a design prop (notice the tire track passenger side wheel, that's a dead giveaway).

The speedo is a no brainer, anyone can turn those things back in seconds. Don't waste your time on this Nova.

That is the slowest way to move tumblers I've ever heard of. Much faster to remove the head and spin the tumblers in these old types.

My friend said the dealer liked that way cause anyone could do it and the motor could be left alone to run until the job was done. They knew about how may miles per hour would be adjusted

X2. The absolute worst thing you can to do a car is to let it sit. Bearings rust, seals dry out, rubber parts go bad, mice eat the wiring and interior, etc, etc.

Indeed! My 1989 CC is a prime example. Got it within that 40-60,000 mileage range ... some thought, by looking at the paint fade, it was over 100K miles, but 2 mechanics who looked it over said it was NOT over 100K miles. It's been a decent & reliable runner since I bought it.

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"I want a 2-tone Chevrolet" __ BJ Thomas __ '2-Car Garage'