Strange Color 67 Riviera

epriv

I'd say that it's probably a stock dash. The steering wheel has a couple of cracks in it and the wheel is the same color as the rest of the interior. If anything, it may have had some seat inserts replaced. Don't know for sure having never owned one like this.

Ed

The interior of this car is stock except for the inserts in the seats. This is the

light fawn interior. I've seen this interior before, it's very attractive in person....kind of a cream color.

The gold top is unusual with the yellow paint. It would be interesting to know if it came with that color top from the factory. I only recall seeing

black or white vinyl tops on these cars, and was under the impression that they were the only color vinyl tops offered. Perhaps a 67 Riviera expert can chime in.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

The interior of this car is stock except for the inserts in the seats. This is the

light fawn interior. I've seen this interior before, it's very attractive in person....kind of a cream color.

The gold top is unusual with the yellow paint. It would be interesting to know if it came with that color top from the factory. I only recall seeing

black or white vinyl tops on these cars, and was under the impression that they were the only color vinyl tops offered. Perhaps a 67 Riviera expert can chime in.

I don't think the gold roof was available in 67. I have seen a similar gold on 68's and 69's though. If you could get a close up picture of the roof to see if the grain is GM then that would help. The interior seat inserts are definitely not correct. I have seen fawn interiors but this one looks to have more yellow in it than it should. The lighting could be to blame though. The chrome appears tired and the rear bumper is pushed in a little in the center. What they are asking is all the money for what in appearance looks like a driver quality car.

1967 vinyl tops were available in green, blue, black and white...unless there was a spring offering of some variation.

There was a cloth and vinyl custom interior offered which Buick called "Champagne" but from the sample I have it appears only the cloth is a color I would call champagne or fawn. The cloth has definitely been replaced on this car. The factory correct accompanying vinyl looks the same shade as another choice in `67 called "Dove" which is an off / dirty white perhaps best described, especially after some ageing, as beige. This interior appears to be much more toward a yellow but as has been said lighting can really play games with perceived shade.

I would be interested in seeing the trim tag for this car. Could it be an SCO car??

Tom Mooney

1967 vinyl tops were available in green, blue, black and white...unless there was a spring offering of some variation.

There was a cloth and vinyl custom interior offered which Buick called "Champagne" but from the sample I have it appears only the cloth is a color I would call champagne or fawn. The cloth has definitely been replaced on this car. The factory correct accompanying vinyl looks the same shade as another choice in `67 called "Dove" which is an off / dirty white perhaps best described, especially after some ageing, as beige. This interior appears to be much more toward a yellow but as has been said lighting can really play games with perceived shade.

I would be interested in seeing the trim tag for this car. Could it be an SCO car??

Tom Mooney

I don't see any GS call-outs but the stock rear for a 67 is a 3;07 or 3;08.. If it does have a 3;42 rear, maybe someone swapped out the original for a GS rear, which is what it sounds like.

Experts, help!!

If this was a repaint in the current color, someone did a good job and appears it would have been done long ago. I have sent a request to the seller asking for info on the data plate.

I noticed the comment of the 3.42 axle and wondered how they came to that conclusion. The A/C compressor does not have the larger diameter pulley that came with the 3.42. It would be quite rare to find a 3.42 that isn't a limited slip since the 3.42 was often considered a "performance" axle. With no LS tag likely its a standard open differential but unless we know the two letter stamp on the axle tube, can't tell.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

I don't see any GS call-outs but the stock rear for a 67 is a 3;07 or 3;08.. If it does have a 3;42 rear, maybe someone swapped out the original for a GS rear, which is what it sounds like.

Experts, help!!

Buick offered different rear ends as stand alone options. You could get a posi or a firm ride and handling package without getting the GS option.

Pat Curran

A buyer with the intent of keeping that car for 25 or 30 years would probably be pretty happy. The few molestations are small and not important. Seeing no major work done would make it a pleasure replacing and detailing the aging parts at a leisurely pace. The '94 Impala SS I bought a few years ago was in similar condition and still had the original interior. I actually bought it from a dealer. One rear power window didn't work and they offered to fix it. NO NO NO Don't Touch IT!

That was my thought while I looked at each picture. Price is good, no one monkeyed with it real bad, I'll take it from here, Thank You.

Bernie

Update - Seller was gracious enough to get back to me quickly. Sometimes when you are asking questions with no intent of buying they understandably don't want to take the time. I always state my intentions when making such inquiries.

They confirmed it was a repaint color change which is an ivory that was a factory available color for GM. Car was originally Riviera fawn with a black top.

I also gave him the info to help ID the axle. Since the 3.42 only came as a limited slip, with no tag showing on the diff cover its probably the standard 3.07.

Riviera Gold? I'm not familar with Fawn except as an INTERIOR scheme in my '66 225. I have a '66 Riv with an EXTERIOR paint of Champagne?? Are we all confused yet? Looks like a decent car, but in a 2nd gen Riv, I'll take the '66 nailhead before a 430!!

Fawn exterior paint for 67 is not similar to the "fawn" interior color or what we humans think of when we hear the name fawn as a color. Not sure how they came up with fawn for the ext color name. I had a fawn 67 and can understand why they repainted it a different color.