Thoughts and opinions on a 62 Studebaker?

rocketraider

This ad has been in a local shopper paper for several months and it's starting to make me think about it. I know Studebakers enjoy great club and parts support but looking for honest opinions on this car and pricing. I have not called about or seen the car.

1962 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. 259 V8, straight drive with overdrive. Runs great, fair tires, good brakes. New shocks, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and taillights. $2250.

I've always thought Larks looked a bit stubby but anymore my mindset is a decent old car is a decent old car. If cosmetics are good I think it might be a fun car and best of all different.

Guest kurtruk48

Check for rust. In the rear of the front fenders, the A-pillar support at the floor, and the floorboards. Replacement floor panels are available. Check the condition of the frame, also. Stude V-8 is a great engine.

I am the guy that posted the "1959 & 1960 Larks" thread about the 2 Larks I just bought.

I have not had the time, and the weather ain't cooperating either, to get them running but both are V8's - one an automatic the other a 3-spd O/D

Both are solid as a rock and the engines turn freely by hand.

Also, I just read an article in an old car mag about the Studebaker V8's of that era. They were so over-engineered that they are one of if not the best small block V8's made (Chevy guys don't kill me - that's what I read......). They have forged cranks and rods and solid lifters AND a gear driven camshaft - no timing chain.

So, if the car is solid body-wise I would jump on it. Like LarryW said, "I find myself looking them over at car shows as there are not that many around".

I cannot wait to get cracking on mine as soon as the weather breaks here in the Northeast.

Good luck and if you decide to buy the Lark you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

Joe

1962 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. 259 V8, straight drive with overdrive. Runs great, fair tires, good brakes. New shocks, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and taillights. $2250.

I've always thought Larks looked a bit stubby but anymore my mindset is a decent old car is a decent old car. If cosmetics are good I think it might be a fun car and best of all different.

Like others have stated, check for rust; particularly the front fenders, A-piller, floor, rear doglegs, and trunk lower corners. The wheelbase on the four doors were all based on the longer Y-body Cruiser model for 1962, and Brooks Stevens did an excellent redesign of the rear end, making it a few inches longer in the process which got rid of its 'stubby' appearance.

Craig

I agree the 1962 redesign made the Lark much better looking. The fact it is a V8 3 speed with Overdrive makes it very appealing. It would handle turnpike speeds and be a good driver in today's (crazy) traffic. If it is not rusty and runs good it sounds like a great buy!

They wuz a reason I left out the phone number:rolleyes: .

I think I might call about this Studebaker. Shame the ad had no pictures. It's a local cell number so shouldn't be too far to have a look. Worst could happen it's rusty or bad paint/ interior, and all I'm out of is a phone call or a trip to see it. Then again it might turn out to be a pretty solid car and I end up with it.

I am the guy that posted the "1959 & 1960 Larks" thread about the 2 Larks I just bought.

I have not had the time, and the weather ain't cooperating either, to get them running but both are V8's - one an automatic the other a 3-spd O/D

Both are solid as a rock and the engines turn freely by hand.

Also, I just read an article in an old car mag about the Studebaker V8's of that era. They were so over-engineered that they are one of if not the best small block V8's made (Chevy guys don't kill me - that's what I read......). They have forged cranks and rods and solid lifters AND a gear driven camshaft - no timing chain.

So, if the car is solid body-wise I would jump on it. Like LarryW said, "I find myself looking them over at car shows as there are not that many around".

I cannot wait to get cracking on mine as soon as the weather breaks here in the Northeast.

Good luck and if you decide to buy the Lark you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

Joe

they are fast....

I had a '56 Golden Hawk when I was in High School (two hoods, both folded. Not by me). In 1969 I was home on leave from the Navy and left a $20 deposit on a black '63 GT Hawk. I never got back with the remaining $130.

I can see Toronto across the lake some days. How deep into Ontario is that tempting thing.

Bernie

I had a '56 Golden Hawk when I was in High School (two hoods, both folded. Not by me). In 1969 I was home on leave from the Navy and left a $20 deposit on a black '63 GT Hawk. I never got back with the remaining $130.

I can see Toronto across the lake some days. How deep into Ontario is that tempting thing.

Bernie

Not too far. In the Hamilton area. Go to kijiji Ontario website under classic cars. It's listed there under Studebaker. About 1-2 hours from the bridge should get you there

Guest Gary Hearn

The car appears to have quite a bit of work done to it and seems to be a decent buy for the money. The body is in pretty decent shape but the seller did not elaborate on this in his description.

62Stude_zps48822336.jpg

Found it! I am going to use my web thermostat to warm my garage up and go out there in a couple of hours. The smartest thing I can do is make a list of the jobs I could do on the cars I ALREADY own for $2200.

It's a jungle out there.

post-46237-143142975407_thumb.jpg All the space that guy has.

It is a drive drive. We have one little town along the lake where we can see the lights on the Hamilton bridge at night.

Bernie

post-46237-143142975378_thumb.jpg

The smartest thing I can do is make a list of the jobs I could do on the cars I ALREADY own for $2200

That's what I keep telling myself- "you already have 5 you don't have real time for, so why do you want another?" "TO HAVE!!!"

Yeah, I know, it's a mental disorder...:rolleyes:

Gary, is that pic the one in my OP? I haven't had a chance to call about it yet.

Guest Gary Hearn
Gary, is that pic the one in my OP? I haven't had a chance to call about it yet.

Yes, it is the car you referenced. They have added pictures to the ad.

Didn't think to see if it was on Craigslist, but I rarely go on that anyway. Probably still not a bad deal, going by pics just more than I want to get into right now. Last thing I need is another project (see Bernie's comment above). $2200 would go a long way to getting me Oldsmobiles roadworthy again.

The Craigslist link for anyone who might want a neat little Studebaker project http://danville.craigslist.org/cto/4839926095.html

Found it! I am going to use my web thermostat to warm my garage up and go out there in a couple of hours. The smartest thing I can do is make a list of the jobs I could do on the cars I ALREADY own for $2200.

It's a jungle out there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]295405[/ATTACH] All the space that guy has.

It is a drive drive. We have one little town along the lake where we can see the lights on the Hamilton bridge at night.

Bernie

Just bring that 64 Riv over across the bridge and I'll buy the Stude GT and give you my 94 SS Impala & it! LOL

I've had Studies for over fifty years. Never much cared for the look of the Lark type 1960-66 when I was a kid. I used up a number of well used Larks while I saved the coupes and hardtops along with several Avantis. Things began to change when it became obvious that, as a collector, I was expected to take my father's 1963 Lark Daytona 2dr htp, at the time of his passing in 1988. No arm twisting was necessary for me to take charge of the 63,000 mile car though. It was black with black and white bucket seats, 259 V8 automatic and tall 307 RE ratio with 15" tires. For most of the last 27 years "Malarkey" has been a flawless performer and a more then comfortable ride as I motored throughout the western US. At just around 3000 pounds and a 108" wheel base (113" WB on all four dr cars from 1963-1966) and around 180 hp the car takes the hills like a mountain goat, and when the engine was fresher deliver a consistent 22-24 MPG. With big brakes which included an optional front disk setup the car really stops too! Sound too good to be true, the only way to find out is to give it a try. At the prices that the Larks are going for, you are certainly not out very much if you don't like it.

Remember that these are full framed cars and all four fenders bolt on and off. The car can be stripped in a day and put back together in several days. With a good, minimal rust western car, with maybe the exception rust in the floor, little or no welding should be necessary. Larks are an easy build, and a decent ride to the next car show, where you will no doubt have the only one of it's kind on the field. What are the negatives?-Bill

I had a '56 Golden Hawk when I was 16 and drove it to school for a bit. I did get that speedometer over to 140 once and found out the horn just made a little gagging noise at that speed. Shouldn't have passed that car along.

I picked up a '72 Avanti II about 5 years ago. It had been sanded and primered and left outside too long; no jellcoat left are the fibers were shedding. Shouldn't have sold that one either. It is in Tennessee becoming a dragster. It left my place in style though:

A%20005.jpg

On the Chevy trade; one of anything is enough.

Bernie

I had a '56 Golden Hawk when I was 16 and drove it to school for a bit. I did get that speedometer over to 140 once and found out the horn just made a little gagging noise at that speed. Shouldn't have passed that car along.

I picked up a '72 Avanti II about 5 years ago. It had been sanded and primered and left outside too long; no jellcoat left are the fibers were shedding. Shouldn't have sold that one either. It is in Tennessee becoming a dragster. It left my place in style though:

A%20005.jpg

On the Chevy trade; one of anything is enough.

Bernie

ah, the cars we should have kept...