tires for 1933 ford

FrankWest107

Depending on where you are, you may want to try Universal. They are out of Elizabethtown, PA.

525/550-17 seems to be the size that has a pretty narrow selection. Go a little earlier (larger diameter) or a little later (16" diameter) in model years and the choices seem to be better.

My '33 Plymouth also uses that size and, assuming the illustrations on the Coker web site are accurate, the tread patterns there reminded me too much of a later era. I found that Lucas had a tread style that looked a bit more like a vintage Firestone tread which I went with last time. http://www.lucasclassictires.com/525-550-17-LUCAS-Olympic-Tread-BW-240p.htm?categoryId=-1

I don't know what you plan to do with your car. I tour more than I show and I've found that I have not been getting as many miles out of a set of tires as I remember from the 1970s. Seems like 8,000 to 12,000 miles before the tread is worn down to where there would be wear bars if the tire had them. This was true on the previous tires purchased from other vendors and, based on my tread wear checks when I rotate tires, also on these most recent Lucas tires.

I wonder if the radial tires that Coker now carries in that size would wear better. But wondering if the spare would fit in my tire cover has kept me from going that way (yet).

Ply33

I considered radiasl with the bias ply look, but bought another set of bias plys after last year's Glidden Tour. My thought was the radials might ride better but not as long. My experience with radials is to change them between 5 & 6 years old before they come apart and cause damage.

You are right about the 8-12k on bias tires, but that could be 8-10 years, hence I bought more bias tires. If I always drove the same old car, I would re-consider radials.

525/550-17 seems to be the size that has a pretty narrow selection. Go a little earlier (larger diameter) or a little later (16" diameter) in model years and the choices seem to be better.

My '33 Plymouth also uses that size and, assuming the illustrations on the Coker web site are accurate, the tread patterns there reminded me too much of a later era. I found that Lucas had a tread style that looked a bit more like a vintage Firestone tread which I went with last time. http://www.lucasclassictires.com/525-550-17-LUCAS-Olympic-Tread-BW-240p.htm?categoryId=-1

I don't know what you plan to do with your car. I tour more than I show and I've found that I have not been getting as many miles out of a set of tires as I remember from the 1970s. Seems like 8,000 to 12,000 miles before the tread is worn down to where there would be wear bars if the tire had them. This was true on the previous tires purchased from other vendors and, based on my tread wear checks when I rotate tires, also on these most recent Lucas tires.

I wonder if the radial tires that Coker now carries in that size would wear better. But wondering if the spare would fit in my tire cover has kept me from going that way (yet).

It would be nice if someone sold a tire that resembled the originals, sidewalls and thread?post-96110-143142960941_thumb.jpgpost-96110-143142960941_thumb.jpg

Guest AlCapone

Coker Tire is a class company to deal with. Their selection is great and they will meet or beat any of their competitors prices ! I have dealt with them several times and have always been totally satisfied !

Wayne

Woof Woof. Don't know about the Tires, But those Girls sure look original...:P

Actually I have done Business with both Coker and Universal though the years. Both are good companies. What one may not have, the other most likely will. Dandy Dave!

The car above is a 1930 Lincoln.

I have purchased tires from http://www.lucasclassictires.com/ also. They are great people to work with. I purchased a set of old tires from the 30s for my Lincoln. They go all around the country to swap meets buying old tires that are still good. They may not have your size, but worth a look. They sell new tires also.