Need Help With My 1937 Buick Timing.

Guest chrisrocc

Guest chrisrocc

Hello,

I searched the internet, and tried using other sources and cannot find anything on how to time a 248 straight eight motor. I didn't touch the timing chain or take it off I just want to make sure when I got the motor it was timed correctly I can see two notches on the gears but how do I know for sure the motor is in the right timing state.

Thanks

chrisrocc,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I have moved your question to the Buick Pre War forum. While I would suggest you purchase a factory service manual, I am sure someone here can help you with your question.

With #1 @TDC timing marks on cam and crankshaft are both clocked at 3 oclock with 11 links between the two marks. Original timing chain has two copper washers to help get it right, each copper washer is aligned with each timing mark on the cam/crankshaft gears. After market chains may not have the copper washers. Hope this helps. Tom

Chrisrocc,

The above info by Pont35cpe is exactly correct. Also, as mentioned above, a factory manual is manditory for working on these Buicks as they were engineered far beyond the current designs of the time and the manual addresses these fine points. Bobs Automobilia has reprints of the factory service manuals for a very fair price ***link to manual***. I have an origional factory manual AND a Bobs reprint, that way I can get the pages of the reprint dirty when working on the car and keep the origional 37 printed manual clean for bedside reading :o.

Robin

PS: the manual from Bobs is an EXACT copy of my factory origional.

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C
add link (see edit history)

Guest chrisrocc

Mark Shaw,

He did answer my question yes, but can you still look because I want to see how the manual says to do it also(not saying he is wrong just want to see).

Thanks