1931 Stutz

Guest L.Flores

Guest L.Flores

I have a great opportunity to purchase a 1931 Stutz. Looks to be all original but I cant seem to figure out the date plate codes.

Here is the data info.

Hayes Body Corp

Grand Rapids Mich. 79

Model - 113

Type - 117

Series - H

Can anyone help?

A picture or two would be exceedingly helpful. The serial number would also be very helpful, it is located on the right rear frame horn where the bumper mounts. If the bumper are on the car you will have to remove it to get the serial number. Of course, paperwork with the serial number may be easier.

Does the engine happen to have two banks of aluminum covers on top or one?

Guest L.Flores

Here are the pictures I currently have.

Would you happen know how may digits or letters the serial number may have?[

QUOTE=alsancle;1336883]A picture or two would be exceedingly helpful. The serial number would also be very helpful, it is located on the right rear frame horn where the bumper mounts. If the bumper are on the car you will have to remove it to get the serial number. Of course, paperwork with the serial number may be easier.

Does the engine happen to have two banks of aluminum covers on top or one?

post-102825-143142703234_thumb.jpg

post-102825-143142703237_thumb.jpg

post-102825-14314270324_thumb.jpg

post-102825-143142703243_thumb.jpg

A 8 cylinder Blackhawk (as opposed to a OH cam SV or DV) is a rare car. I'm not sure about that windshield as all the factory bodies would be flat. I would carefully inspect the construction as this would be the body to reproduce. New wood everywhere would lend one to think that.

Just to clarify my previous comments. The car is a Blackhawk based on the engine (flat head straight 8) which was a distinct but lower priced line from Stutz sold under the "Blackhawk" name. Usually referred to as "Stutz Blackhawk". The SV16 (Single overhead cam) and DV32 (double overhead cam) and also a 6 cylinder Blackhawk were also built. I don't have my book in front of my so maybe somebody else could chime in because I didn't think there was Blackhawk production in 31 so maybe this car is a 30? You need the serial number to get the year right. I notice it is right hand drive also, are you in Australia or England? The RHD will require a discount in the U.S. market as would a new body.

I don't think it's a Peerless. The engine is not a 13-K Continental. The Original Poster didn't say where the car is, or even what country. Very, very nice car wherever it is. The rear deck layout reminds me a little of a 1928 Stutz with Robbins Body, but they have horizontal hood louvers.

----Jeff in Idaho

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

It's a Marmon Big 8, not a Stutz (the engine's intake manifold is very distinctive). Hayes built a lot of bodies for Marmon, including this sedan that I sold last summer. I don't know if a speedster like that was ever available but I suppose anything is possible. Not likely, but possible. I think AJ's got it right that it's a rebody of some sort.

post-31138-143142705043_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142705046_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142705049_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142705055_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

I think everyone was stuck on Stutz because that's what the original poster said it was. Looks like it has the Radiator emblem and even hood ornament so I assumed as well that they must have said Stutz on them. It's still interesting to learn a little more about it. The windshield looks not quite right to me as well.

Guest L.Flores

I was able to get more information on the car.

Make :Marmon

Year: 1931

Motor # H 1471

I'm trying to get an idea how much a car like this is worth and if it's original.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

I think everyone was stuck on Stutz because that's what the original poster said it was. Looks like it has the Radiator emblem and even hood ornament so I assumed as well that they must have said Stutz on them. It's still interesting to learn a little more about it. The windshield looks not quite right to me as well.

Off the cuff it looks like an interesting car that's been rebodied, but who knows...I'm not a Marmon expert by any means a good eight chassis worth $15k or so, if body well done another $8k, so as a whole if not original $20-25k as a play toy....if a real body more of course...

Guest L.Flores

The seller did confirm the body is metal not fiberglass.

Off the cuff it looks like an interesting car that's been rebodied, but who knows...I'm not a Marmon expert by any means a good eight chassis worth $15k or so, if body well done another $8k, so as a whole if not original $20-25k as a play toy....if a real body more of course...

Some outside pictures would really let you see the lines and see how well it flows. The rear body looks well done. A nice side shot would be great. If it's not original but well done including most of the chrome, a good running drivetrain not really needing much, Good upholstery, dash and gauges as well as top then it seems like it would have to still be worth all of 20,000-25,000 to me. That's what I would happily pay if the lines were right. A glass modern Auburn Speedster replica that's 20 years old sells for 35Gs.

definitely a Marmon and Marmon never made that car.windshield, boat tail and rear fenders are not original. Nice look and the big eights are good runners but finicky and expensive to maintain or rebuild. Also the hardest Marmon to find parts for. Keep posting.

L.Flores,

There's something not right here. Maybe the prospective buyer is thousands of miles away from the car, or the prospective seller is not familiar with cars. I guess they are both straight eights, but I was curious how the car came to be described as a Stutz instead of a Marmon. Has someone advertised it in the newspaper as possibly being a particular make and year of car, or did you discover the car yourself with all of the identifying parts and paperwork missing?

Someone with good intentions once had a Peerless for sale eight ears ago in Portland, Oregon including good photos. Some potential buyers asked the ebay seller what kind of engine it had and they were told it was a V-8 with about 40 HP. It was instead a straight eight 85 HP Peerless Model "A", one of seven. The owner had died and the attorneys were trying to sell the car, but they knew very little about vintage cars.

Thanks to K8096 and Matt Harwood we now know the automobile you are interested in is a Marmon. We would all love to hear more as you learn more about it.

- - - - Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)