PA Inspection Sticker

Guest DAVID RALPH

Guest DAVID RALPH

I purchased a 1957 PA Inspection sticker. I have a 1957 Dodge Royal and am not sure, does the sticker go on the Passenger side or Driver side for 57? Thanks in advance.

Dave

I agree with RON. Also, several other PA inspection sticker and license plate changes took place from the early 1950s to 1970 and I don't know the exact dates on some. If anyone has the exact year for some of the Pennsylvania related items listed below, a posting here would provide good information.

1.) The location of the PA inspection stickers changed at some point around 1955 +/- a few years. Significantly earlier, but my 1933 Chevrolet has the sticker on the lower right side of the windshield, that I got from an original photo taken in 1933.

2.) PA eliminated the front license plate.

3.) PA went from issuing a complete new license plate each year to issuing a tag and then using stickers to designate annual registration thereafter. First year for the sticker was 1959, on 1958 metal plate.

4.) PA Inspections stickers had the date the car "was inspected" where now they have the "date it expires". I believe the last year for the sticker having the date the car was inspected was 1969. My 1933 Chevrolet sticker says "DATE INSPECTED". My 1962 Triumph sticker says "DATE APPROVED" and starting in 1970 they say "Sticker Void After".

5.) PA inspections went from every 6 months to annual.

Visit my new personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wix.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

I wonder what state issued the first inspection sticker and from what year? How many states don't issue stickers? I know most counties in Florida don't.

Guest Gary Hearn

No safety inspections in Kentucky, I think Virginia went to annual inspections about 30 years ago. AAA has a listing of state inspection laws on their website (drivinglaws.aaa.com).

Edited by Gary Hearn (see edit history)

New Jersey used to have state-run inspection stations that actually inspected your car for free. Nowadays it's 'emissions only'.....you can have 4 bald tires, no brakes, and broken glass, but if the check-engine light is off you pass and get a sticker.

I did a “inspection sticker” search on this form as this has been previously discussed and below is a post I made in 2011 regarding the PA sticker locations.

“I spoke to Robert Hoyt (link above)and he is extremely knowledgeable on inspections stickers. He says that 1959 was the year PA went from the passenger to the driver’s side for the sticker locations. He will be at Fall Carlisle, space F-97.”

Guest Bob Call

About 10 years ago, under threat of federal highway funds being withheld, the Oklahoma state legislature repealed the vehicle inspection law. Their reasoning was it was and un-neccessary tax because your vehicle can pass the inspection today but fail tomorrow for something as simple as a burned out light bulb or a cracked window glass.

We moved to PA in 1973. My Mom took down our 1972 Ford Wagon to be inspected, remember this car is one year old. She came back crying because the local inspection station made a list of problems she needed to get done from shocks to brakes and tune-up to the tune of over $250. Our new neighbor guy saw her standing in the driveway shaking her head over the expense, he said "give me $20 and I will be right back". He returned in less than an hour with our shinny new inspection sticker. My Mom was eternally grateful. I believe she made him a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I have not had much respect for the PA system or any other since then.

post-67048-143142698525_thumb.jpg

Guest Skyking
I have not had much respect for the PA system or any other since then.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]267222[/ATTACH]

In my opinion, every state that charges for inspection is committing thievery. It's quite obvious they are only in it for the money. Rhode Island just raised the sticker price because we are in debt. They even admitted it!!!!! As long as it's not protested, it goes on and on.

Guest Skyking
What did they raise it to ?

Here in Virginia it is $16 per year.

Bill

The price went from $39.00 to $55.00 for 2 years. Mind you, I wouldn't mind paying that price along with one of the highest gas taxes, plus registrations if they went for our roads. None of that money goes towards roads. It goes in the General Fund, what ever that means. Our whole state is collapsing right before our eyes. I stated in my previous post about protesting. Florida did and they won!

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

It is the same thing as speeding tickets. The states claim it is all about safety, but the reality is, both annual inspections and speeding tickets are just money for the state coffers. You can also add red-light cameras to this as well.

In my opinion, every state that charges for inspection is committing thievery. It's quite obvious they are only in it for the money.

Right bark, wrong tree. The PA inspections program is a money maker for free enterprise, not the government.

Garages pay for a license to inspect cars, and pay a nominal charge for each sticker. They then charge what the market will bear for both the safety and (in most of the state by population) emissions stickers. It's usually about $15-25 for the emissions sticker, and $35-50 for the safety inspection. Generally speaking, the less you pay for the sticker the more likely the garage is using the program to drum business. (A common added charge would be for correcting supposedly mis-alligned headlights, however outright fraud claiming still-good tires and brakes need replacing is hardly unheard of.)

And that (plus license plates) buys you one year of legal driving. For about 8 years before 1980 it was only 6 months.

I'm glad on that count that I live in Ohio now.

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
(A common added charge would be for correcting supposedly mis-alligned headlights, however outright fraud claiming still-good tires and brakes need replacing is hardly unheard of.)

Not in this state! Last year I brought my truck in for a sticker to a garage a friend I know works at. Here's what they found wrong!

1. Need wiper blades

2. rear wheel cylinders leaking

3. need rear shoes

4. need tail pipe and muffler

5. need 4 new tires (half worn)

6. rotted brake lines

Quoted price, $1200.00 plus

I did need the exhaust parts, so I went on line to RockAuto and bought the exhaust parts, wheel cylinders and shoes. After replacing the exhaust, I pulled the rear drums and found the shoes were just as good as the boxed new ones. Also, no sign of cylinders leaking, which I would have noticed in my good brake pedal. No rotted lines either. Since I had the drums off I replaced the wheel cylinders because I had already bought them. I went to another station and got the sticker. The tires are still on the truck! I was going to report the crook but I didn't want to get my friend involved. I found out later that the owner of the shop wouldn't give his mother a sticker either!! So yeah, they are thieves................and BTW, the state does get a portion of the sticker money for doing, nothing, zilch!

Anyone see the article on the history of license plates in the latest copy of the SPEEDSTER.

If not, you can find it under the Publications tab on the AACA home page.

I am by no means an expert on this, but it would be interesting to see a similar article on inspection stickers in the future.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi