Car shows?

flh73

I've been to three car shows this summer since buying my "63"riviera (still ongoing fixer upper). NOT one first generation riviera has shown up. I am hoping to see one at the Flint MI BACK TO THE BRICKS show. The show is sponsored by Buick you would think I can see one there right? I know they are somewhat rare but had no idea this difficult to find.

Anyone else experience this at local car shows?

Guest Kaber

I have seen alot of 1st gen Rivs near Dayton this summer. There are 2 that we see pretty regularly at local cruise ins, not including my Son's. We saw (2) at The Autorama in Detroit, (1) at a local all GM show, (4) at Goodguy's in Columbus, (2) others at the Brookville Roadster show and (1) at the Springfeild swap meet. There used to be a Lowered & Tubbed Pro Street 63 or 64 around here that was white or baby blue, I haven't seen it in many years.

Tim

Guest dwhiteside64
I've been to three car shows this summer since buying my "63"riviera (still ongoing fixer upper). NOT one first generation riviera has shown up. I am hoping to see one at the Flint MI BACK TO THE BRICKS show. The show is sponsored by Buick you would think I can see one there right? I know they are somewhat rare but had no idea this difficult to find.

Anyone else experience this at local car shows?

Had my car for over a year now and seen my first 1st gen Riviera just a couple of weeks ago just a block from my house. This includes participation in three high profile cruises and countless weekend trips around town. Let's face it, they are comparatively low mintage vehicles so we will never see them in the same numbers as Chevelles, Galaxies, Mustangs, or even Thunderbirds. Not even close.

Rivieras are very rare in Texas at a car show......I see one in about 1 of every thirty shows I attend......very rarely are they anything other than 63's or 64's. I've never seen a 66-99 Riv at a car show in Texas and I've been going to shows almost every weekend for the last thirty years.

When it comes to buying an early Riviera in Texas they are rarer still. More likely to see the Loch Ness Monster for sale at Pet Smart than seeing

a nice early Riviera for sale around here.

I am currently traveling with a group from So Cal that went to a great show in W. Yellowstone, Wyoming and from there traveled west to Bend, Oregon to another (not in the Riv). Have yet to see a Riv of any year :( . But at the motel we're staying at there are at least 15 early '70's Monte Carlos in a group. I hadn't seen even one of these type for many years. When I lived in SoCal, most of those were used for 'lowriders' but all of these are near stock or very mildly hot rodded.

Steve

If there is a Riv in a show I go to, it is because I drove mine. I was heavy into show cars a few years ago. Indoor and outdoor. 15-20 shows a year. Never more than one at any show and only see about 3-4 different ones in any given year. Another reason I had to have one. Add the great line to the rarity and we have a winner.

Guest clamshells

My 65 is 3 for 3. I've seen a nice 66 and a descent 64 around town. I was told a 65 Gran Sport showed up at local show, later I found out she keep the windows up and hood closed..........lol

There is a very big cruise night every Sat. night east of Kansas City in Independence MO. It draws 400-600 cars every week. I can think of 5 first gen. cars I've seen there in 6 years. 3 (including ours) show up fairly often. A few boat tails also. Any one near K.C. should check it out. Big time draw (for a cruise night) and FREE! Here's a link to facebook https://www.facebook.com/PHHCenter. It is put on by the shopping center that's why there are business postings on there.

Edited by bb1970 (see edit history)

Rivieras are very rare in Texas at a car show......I see one in about 1 of every thirty shows I attend......very rarely are they anything other than 63's or 64's. I've never seen a 66-99 Riv at a car show in Texas and I've been going to shows almost every weekend for the last thirty years.

When it comes to buying an early Riviera in Texas they are rarer still. More likely to see the Loch Ness Monster for sale at Pet Smart than seeing

a nice early Riviera for sale around here.

I think I saw your gorgeous 65 at La Madeline in McKinney this morning, thanks for bringing it. We have two decent cruise-ins in our area every Saturday and I told you yours was the first 63-65 Riv I've ever seen at either one!

You guys must not be going to the right shows. I went to one a few weeks ago and I'll bet that there were more than 60 Riviera at that show. There were Rivs there all the way back to '63 and as new as '99. Some totally stock and others modified and a custom or two. You guys just need to keep your eyes and ears open as to when these good meets take place.

Ed

Guest Kingoftheroad
Never more than one at any show and only see about 3-4 different ones in any given year. Another reason I had to have one.

Couldn't agree more! The fact that you don't see many old Rivs was one of the selling points for me to buy a Riv.

Couldn't agree more! The fact that you don't see many old Rivs was one of the selling points for me to buy a Riv.

Exactly. Too many clones of too many mass produced cars at these shows. Funny but most of the "popular" cars are usually some of the lower priced but highest production models in the division. Plus with those kinds of sales numbers, the repo guys are keep them alive. At least when you see a Riviera at a meet you know that 100% of the exterior sheet metal is original. No reproduction panels or complete reproduction bodies*. I don't think the masses who "collect" these kinds of cars have the perseverance to try to put together a car from original parts. You also don't see many Hispano Suizas or other cars which came from the factory as limited production cars. Be proud that you're not one of the masses with a mass produced car. So much for my opinion.

Ed

* http://www.dynacornbodies.com/body-shells/camaro.php

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

"Be proud that you're not one of the masses with a mass produced car."

Ed, someone's probably going to say it, so I will - at 40,000 (at least for the first year) most people including car buffs would consider the Riv to be a mass-produced car. No, not mass produced like a Camry but still mass-produced. Is there a number out there that makes a car mass-produced? Or is it an assembly line vs. hand built? That could be debated forever. Heck, only about 5,800 Series One E-Type coupes were made (4.2L) were made, but it's considered a mass-produced car. But I get your larger point - a Riv is certainly not mass produced - or better yet, mass-REproduced - like a Chevelle or Camaro or Mustang. OK, back to the garage.

Sounds like Tim has the area to see them in Ohio. I understand why I haven't seen one but sure would like to. Pictures are great and all but sure would like to put eyes on one. I have to believe I'll see one next weekend it's a big show in Flint MI I mean home of BUICK right? Wish me luck and will take a picture or two if I find one.

I get to see them often here in So Cal. I was able to get to the Pomona Auto Swap Meet today & I saw 3 Rivi's there (1-65, 2-63's). Last week I saw a 66 with a 67 front end at the Santa Paula cruise in. I caught a glimpse of a 65 flying the opposite direction on the freeway a few days ago.

The '63's are 51 years old. '64's and '65's are 50 and 49 respectively. All cars begin to need expensive repairs at the half century mark. That is a lot of what keeps them home and out of sight.

Look at the 50ish cars and the age of their mechanicals. Chevy powered stuff can have a transplanted '80's or '90's engine. And I think you can still get a rebuilt small block for around a grand. The Buick should cost about $2500 for a basic job.

I have been watching the aging of the hobby for a few decades. In the 1990's the early '60's cars started dwindling unless they were restored. Does anyone remember the restored 1956 chassis at the 2003 Buick Nationals? It was about 50 years old and ready. Mid 50's cars had been pretty much survivors to that point. Now, in 2014, the next group of 50 year old's is in need of rejuvenation. They are staying home needing an injection of cash.

So at the next meet take a look at the unrestored 50 and older cars. There is a general lack of attendance. Its the age and cost to keep them going. Lots of '70's and 80's cars out there now.

Bernie

Guest tone65riv

What is the date and location of the Flint show? Is their a swap meet also, I could use some parts for my 65 Riv. 401.

Tony Novi MI