How to start a buick?

Yohdda

Hello everyone,

So my title might be a little deceiving, I know how to start a Buick... press the gas peddle down to engage the starter. But what I am having issues with, is that it will not start without me pouring some gasoline down the carburetor in order for the engine to fire. Is there a way to get fuel into the carb, or to choke it before I engage the starter? (without opening the hood, and pouring gas down the carb)

It is a 1957 Buick Century.

Thanks!

Jason

How does one set the choke?

I heard it might be,

1) before turning on the key press the gas pedal to the floor then let go

2) Turn key on

3) press the gas pedal just enough to engage the starter

4) when it start press gas pedal to release choke

Is this true?

Do you have a 1957 Buick Chassis Shop Manual? In there, it will show you how to set your choke for the 4BBL Carb for start (cold) engine. It will be dependent on what type of carb you have, Rochester or Carter. Read that section of the book. Also, if you dont have the shop manual, I would highly suggest purchasing one. They are worth their weight in gold in troubleshooting the car. Just sayin..

The choke should be closed in the start position initially, then open as the engine warms up. It is a thermally controlled choke, not mechanical or electric. It works off your engine temperature through the choke stove pipe that goes from the choke adjuster (black dial thing on the side of the carb that says "CHOKE") and the underside of the right exhaust manifold. Hope this helps.

Is there a pipe coming out of the housing behind the black cover? Also, if the car is cold, can you step on the gas pedal one time, and then post a picture of the top opening of the carb?

but the choke butterfly valve is not completely closed. For the choke to work it has to close completely. It has to touch the sides of the carb opening when the engine is cold. It also moves to the position shown as soon as the engine starts. It's a finicky setting. Loosen ( not remove) the three screws holding the black cover . Then twist the black cover counter clockwise till the choke valve touches the carb throat. Do not go past that point cause if the valve does not open just a little when the engine catches, it will cause the engine to flood with gas.

The problem you are having is probably due to the fact that the gas in the carb has evaporated while the car has been unused for a while. This is a very common problem. Many folks will install a priming electric fuel pump near the tank that is switched manually. That pump is run for a while before starting to fill the carb and shut off after the engine has started. Sure saves the starter too

It just a seems like in other carburetor engines, all I would have to do is pump the gas a few times and then it would start. I am going to try adjusting the choke this weekend, and give it a go. If it doesn't work, then maybe I will have to install a primer of sorts.

Many folks will install a priming electric fuel pump near the tank that is switched manually. That pump is run for a while before starting to fill the carb and shut off after the engine has started. Sure saves the starter too

Best advice I've read here.

I'm not a carburetor expert by any stretch, but I've heard that if the POWER VALVE is leaking, it will slowly drain the fuel out of the float bowl, and settle into the manifold, where it will evaporate from there. One way to check, is to look down the bore of the carb to see if it's wet after the engine has been off for an hour or so. But, like I said, I'm not a carb expert.